1414 - Khomovský dum / Khom House - Chrudim (East Bohemia)
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
N 49° 57.084 E 015° 47.657
33U E 556980 N 5533529
Quick Description: The Gothic core of the Baroque Khoma House (Khomovský dum), one of the most valuable witnesses to the complex architectural development of the Chrudim medieval center, was erected in 1414 as is marked on its gable.
Location: Pardubický kraj, Czechia
Date Posted: 5/18/2020 2:09:23 PM
Waymark Code: WM12FWC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 6

Long Description:

The Gothic core of the Baroque Khoma House (Khomovský dum), one of the most valuable witnesses to the complex architectural development of the Chrudim medieval center, was erected in 1414 as is marked on its gable. The house, located in the main town public space - Ressel Square (Resslovo námestí), is named after the Khom family, which acqired it through marriage in 1868. Building is protected as a Cultural monument of the Czech Republic.

The first written mention of the house dates from 1546, but it was originally a Gothic house from the 15th century (some sources state the foundation in 1414, as indicated on the facade), rebuilt in the Renaissance. The oldest known depiction of the house, with high Gothic roofs, is on the epitaph of Mayor Václav Lípa, the owner of the house, from 1587. The adjoining house N° 111/I was demolished in 1897–1898 and the new building was connected to the Khom House, which also underwent minor Empire alterations. The house is especially important for its well-preserved portals.

The current vast Baroque façade is divided in the front side into the square by four pilasters into three fields and a series of simple and stylistically designed windows. The high pilasters continue through all the floors. The massive front gable is divided by columns into three fields, there are empty niches in the sides. Gable is finished with a Baroque statue of Our Lady Immaculate. The main Renaissance stone portal (on the square side) is carved and richly decorated. It has massive Corinthian columns on the sides, the entrance is arched, in the frieze panels are two winged angel heads. Above the cornice is coat of arms instead the keystone, on the sides are inscriptions and at both ends are plastic oval reliefs. Above the second cornice is an Austrian eagle with a crown held by two bending standing lions and next to them are two mermaids. Everything is connected by ornamental decoration. The portal is probably from the end of the 16th century, the tympanum above the highest cornice with an eagle is later. Under the house are deep Gothic cellars with two floors with corridors.

Source: excerpted and translated from Wikipedia and National Heritage Institute portal.

Year of construction: 1414

Cross-listed waymark: [Web Link]

Full inscription: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Buildings and Cornerstones
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.