Église Saint-Clément de La Chapelle-Bâton - Antezant la Chapelle, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 46° 00.465 W 000° 29.036
30T E 694795 N 5097986
Quick Description: a small Romanesque church of 12th century origin. une petite église Romane d'origine du XIIeme.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 12/9/2019 4:18:57 AM
Waymark Code: WM11RA3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 4

Long Description:
Historique
At the beginning of the 14th century, the parish of La Chapelle Bâton was ceded by King Philippe le Bel to the Benedictines of Saint-Jean d'Angély. A perpetual vicar whose treatment was in charge of the abbey served the parish.

The church retains a Romanesque nave and facade from the 12th century. The chapel contiguous to the south side of the church could be dated to the 14th century, as the large, broken arch that separates it from the nave and the Gothic niche that it contains suggests.

The primitive choir and apse were destroyed, apparently, following the collapse of the bell tower, during a violent storm on March 14, 1751. The current eastern wall is located at the level of the old arch triumphal, of which one can still see partly the carved capitals, inside and outside.

The old bell tower was not rebuilt, but replaced by a bell tower surmounting the western gable in the second half of the 18th century. All that remains of the original steeple is part of the access staircase, integrated into a buttress to the north of the building. The vault of the nave, also destroyed, was replaced by a false vault of plaster basket handle, perhaps at the same time.

A state of the churches of 1806 indicates that the church of La Chapelle Baton, in very bad condition, is not used for worship. The parish is then reunited in Saint-Pardoult.

The portal of the church was remodeled in 1847, as indicated by the engraved date: the inner arch, with bosses, as well as the columns supporting the outer arch, are datable of this period.

The bell bears the inscription: "Made in the year 1872 by Monsieur Antonin Vauthier in Saint-Emilion, Gironde, christened Marie-Clémentine by Augustin Juillon, parish priest of Courcelles and Antezant, godmother: Eglantine-Marie Brossard. : Auguste Delaveau ". The bell tower and the ceiling were restored in the 4th quarter of the 20th century.

An underground shelter that would be located under the church and now condemned, is mentioned by several sources.
Main date (s): 12th century; 14th century; 2nd half 18th century; 2nd quarter 19th century
Secondary date (s): 4th quarter 20th century
Date (s): 1847

Description
The church is oriented: the choir is in the east. The nave, the only vestige of the original building, has a rectangular plan. A chapel is contiguous in lean against the south wall.

The western facade, flanked by buttresses, has a semicircular portal, whose outer arch, Romanesque, presents rhombuses carved checkerboard and a pleated ribbon archivolt. A band adorned with foliage ending in small characters runs on the facade at the height of the trenches. The engaged columns and the inner arch of the portal, with raised bosses and sommiers, are the result of a restoration. The gate is surmounted by a large oculus, interrupting a molded headband. It would have been decorated with carved snakes, but its decor is now completely worn out.

The facade is surmounted by a campanile whose edges are fretted and the summit adorned with a small molded cornice. It is pierced by a semicircular bay that hosts the bell.

The nave, rectangular, is blind to the south. It was pierced by three semicircular bays on the north wall, but one of them was walled by the addition of a construction. The walls are supported by flat buttresses, one to the south and three to the north, including a larger one and pierced by a narrow bay, which houses the spiral staircase that led to the steeple. Near this one, one can see a small semicircular walled door.

Only two of the three bays on the north wall are visible from the outside. Their semicircular voussoirs, adorned with simple toriids, are borne by engaged columns whose capitals are carved: three have a foliage decoration, the fourth features a grimacing face. A diamond-pointed headband runs the full length of the wall. The eastern wall still has the remains of the ancient triumphal arch that opened on the choir and a carved capital representing two animals (lions?) With a common head.

Inside, the nave, three spans and covered with a false vault of plaster basket handle, is punctuated by columns engaged with carved capitals. One of them represents squat chimeras, the others are adorned with foliage and grotesque heads for one of them. The visible parts of the capitals of the former triumphal arch present carved animals, on the left identical to that visible on the outside, and on the right a griffin.

A large arched bay, partially walled, gives access to the chapel became sacristy. Not vaulted, it is lit by two small semicircular windows, one of which is walled. You can see a large Gothic niche.

The furniture consists of a cylindrical baptismal bowl with moldings, a font on a cylindrical futon, a neo-Romanesque altar surmounted by a painting depicting Saint Clement, a path of the cross composed of lithographs and a marble plaque dedicated to the dead of the two wars of the parish. Outside, some 19th century gravestones are placed against the north wall of the church.







Historique
Au début du 14e siècle, la paroisse de La Chapelle Bâton est cédée par le roi Philippe le Bel aux bénédictins de Saint-Jean d'Angély. Un vicaire perpétuel dont le traitement était à la charge de l'abbaye desservait la paroisse.

L'église conserve une nef et une façade romanes du 12e siècle. La chapelle accolée au flanc sud de l'église pourrait quant à elle dater du 14e siècle, comme semblent l'indiquer le grand arc brisé qui la sépare de la nef et la niche gothique qu'elle renferme.

Le choeur et l'abside primitifs ont été détruits, semble-t-il, suite à l'effondrement du clocher, lors d'un violent orage survenu le 14 mars 1751. Le mur oriental actuel se situe au niveau de l'ancien arc triomphal, dont on peut encore voir en partie les chapiteaux sculptés, à l'intérieur et à l'extérieur.

L'ancien clocher n'a pas été reconstruit, mais remplacé par un campanile surmontant le pignon occidental, dans la 2e moitié du 18e siècle. Il ne reste du clocher primitif qu'une partie de l'escalier d'accès, intégré dans un contrefort au nord de l'édifice. La voûte de la nef, également détruite, a été remplacée par une fausse voûte de plâtre en anse de panier, peut-être à la même période.

Un état des églises de 1806 indique que l'église de La Chapelle Bâton, en très mauvais état, n'est pas employée pour le culte. La paroisse est alors réunie à Saint-Pardoult.

Le portail de l'église a été remanié en 1847, comme l'indique la date gravée : la voussure intérieure, à bossages, ainsi que les colonnes supportant la voussure extérieure, sont datables de cette période.

La cloche porte l'inscription : "Faite en l'an 1872 par Monsieur Antonin Vauthier à Saint-Emilion en Gironde. Baptisée Marie-Clémentine par Monsieur Augustin Juillon, curé de Courcelles et d'Antezant. Marraine : Eglantine-Marie Brossard. Parrain : Auguste Delaveau". Le clocher et le plafond ont été restaurés dans le 4e quart du 20e siècle.

Un souterrain refuge qui serait situé sous l'église et aujourd'hui condamné, est mentionné par plusieurs sources.
Datation(s) principale(s) : 12e siècle ; 14e siècle ; 2e moitié 18e siècle ; 2e quart 19e siècle


Description
L'église est orientée : le choeur se trouve à l'est. La nef, seul vestige de l'édifice primitif, présente un plan rectangulaire. Une chapelle est accolée en appentis contre le mur sud.

La façade occidentale, flanquée de contreforts, présente un portail en plein cintre, dont la voussure extérieure, romane, présente des losanges sculptés de damiers et une archivolte à ruban plissé. Un bandeau orné de rinceaux se terminant par des petits personnages court sur la façade à la hauteur des tailloirs. Les colonnes engagées et la voussure intérieure du portail, à bossages et sommiers saillants, sont issus d'une restauration. Le portail est surmonté d'un grand oculus, interrompant un bandeau mouluré. Il aurait été orné de serpents sculptés, mais son décor est aujourd'hui complètement usé.

La façade est surmontée d'un campanile dont les bords sont chantournés et le sommet paré d'une petite corniche moulurée. Celui-ci est percé d'une baie en plein cintre qui accueille la cloche.

La nef, rectangulaire, est aveugle au sud. Elle était percée de trois baies en plein cintre sur le mur nord, mais l'une d'elles a été murée par l'ajout d'une construction. Les murs sont soutenus par des contreforts plats, un au sud et trois au nord, dont un plus important et percé d'une baie étroite, qui abrite l'escalier en colimaçon qui menait au clocher. Près de celui-ci, on peut voir une petite porte en plein cintre murée.

Seules deux des trois baies du mur nord sont visibles depuis l'extérieur. Leurs voussures en plein cintre, ornées de simples tores, sont portées par des colonnettes engagées dont les chapiteaux sont sculptés : trois présentent un décor de feuillages, le quatrième figure un visage grimaçant. Un bandeau à pointes de diamant court sur toute la longueur du mur. Le mur oriental présente encore les vestiges de l'ancien arc triomphal qui s'ouvrait sur le choeur et un chapiteau sculpté représentant deux animaux (lions ?) comportant une tête commune.

A l'intérieur, la nef, à trois travées et couverte d'une fausse voûte de plâtre en anse de panier, est rythmée par des colonnes engagées à chapiteaux sculptés. L'un d'eux représente des chimères accroupies, les autres sont ornés de feuillages et de têtes de grotesques pour l'un deux. Les parties visibles des chapiteaux de l'ancien arc triomphal présentent des animaux sculptés, à gauche identique à celui visible à l'extérieur, et à droite un griffon.

Une grande baie en arc brisé, partiellement murée, donne accès à la chapelle devenue sacristie. Non voûtée, elle est éclairée par deux petites baies en plein cintre dont une murée. On peut y voir une grande niche gothique.

Le mobilier se compose notamment d'une cuve baptismale cylindrique à moulures, d'un bénitier reposant sur un fut cylindrique, d'un autel de style néoroman surmonté d'un tableau représentant Saint Clément, d'un chemin de croix composé de lithographies et d'une plaque de marbre dédiée aux morts des deux guerres de la paroisse. A l'extérieur, quelques pierres tombales du 19e siècle sont disposées contre le mur nord de l'église.

ValdeSaintonge : (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited Église Saint-Clément de La Chapelle-Bâton - Antezant la Chapelle, France 3/30/2020 sara et gege visited it