Original Site of the White Clay Creek Presbyterian Church (NC-232) - Newark, DE
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe
N 39° 42.714 W 075° 42.486
18S E 439303 N 4396021
Quick Description: White Clay Creek Church existed prior to 1718, meeting in a small log cabin at this site. It is located at 1418 Old Coach Road, Newark DE 19711
Location: Delaware, United States
Date Posted: 11/11/2019 4:19:33 PM
Waymark Code: WM11MAD
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Ernmark
Views: 4

Long Description:
White Clay Creek Church existed prior to 1718, meeting in a small log cabin at this site. The area became known as Meeting House Hill. In 1721, White Clay Meeting formally became the White Clay Creek Congregation. Rev. Thomas Craighead purchased 402 acres of property and deeded one acre of land with the cabin to the church trustees in 1727, with an additional half-acre donated in 1735. Revivalist George Whitfield preached here in 1739 to a crowd of 8000 people. During the Great Schism, a group of New-Siders separated. In 1752, the faction built a new church at the corner of Kirkwood Highway. The Congregation reunited in 1758.

Erected 2017 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-232.)
Visit Instructions:
Please include a picture of the sign with your GPS in the picture.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Delaware Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.