La place des otages - Morlaix - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 48° 34.697 W 003° 49.732
30U E 438864 N 5380909
Place nommé en souvenir des otages de la Gestapo Allemande déportés. Place named in memory of the German Gestapo hostages deported.
Waymark Code: WM10PM1
Location: Bretagne, France
Date Posted: 06/07/2019
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 7

Credits : (visit link)

"Retournons maintenant à Morlaix. Nous voici devant la mairie sur la Place des Otages. Celle-ci fut un temps la plus grande place de Morlaix. Au XVe siècle, la place était une petite île triangulaire à l’extérieur de la ville close, entourée du Queffleuth d’un côté, du Jarlot de l’autre, et, derrière la mairie, du canal creusé entre les deux cours d’eau. Là où se trouve le kiosque aujourd’hui, les deux rivières se rejoignent pour former la Rivière de Morlaix : le Dossen. Le nom de la place à l’époque était la Place de l’Eperon. La petite île et ses rives étaient utilisées comme débarcadères où les gens prirent l’habitude de venir discuter de leurs affaires. Un pont, le pont Pichon, fut construit au-dessus du Jarlot au milieu du XVe siècle pour relier la Place des Otages à la Place du Four Saint-Melaine qu’on appelait à l’époque la Place au Lait.
En 1728, les rivières furent recouvertes et la place pavée d’où le nom de Pavé Neuf qui lui fut donné alors.
En se dirigeant vers le Viaduc on remarque le kiosque qui fut offert à la ville de Morlaix par Auguste Ropars, docteur en droit et président de la musique municipale.
Quiconque sera attentif au kiosque remarquera la plaque apposée en 1973 en mémoire des otages de 1943. Le 25 janvier 1943, une grenade fut lancée depuis la rue Gambetta dans les “salons Quiviger” qui étaient, à l’époque, le ‘Soldatenheim’, le mess des soldats allemands. Plusieurs soldats furent blessés. Dès le lendemain 400 personnes furent arrêtées et rassemblées sur la place. 60 d’entres-elles furent envoyées au terrain d’aviation de Ploujean et de là au camp de la mort de Buchenwald. Seulement 27 d’entre elles revinrent vivantes de ce lieu effroyable et inhumain.
En français, la place fut baptisée ‘Grand Place’ lorsqu’elle fut agrandie jusqu’au Viaduc, puis Place Thiers le 08 février 1883, et enfin Place des Otages le 26 décembre 1973 en souvenir de cet évènement tragique."

"Now let's go back to Morlaix. Here we are in front of the town hall on the Place des Otages. This was once the largest square in Morlaix. In the 15th century, the square was a small triangular island outside the enclosed city, surrounded by the Queffleuth on one side, the Jarlot on the other, and, behind the town hall, the canal dug between the two rivers. Where the kiosk is today, the two rivers meet to form the Morlaix River: the Dossen. The name of the square at the time was Place de l'Eperon. The small island and its banks were used as landing places where people used to come to discuss their affairs. A bridge, the Pichon Bridge, was built over the Jarlot in the middle of the 15th century to connect the Place des Otages with the Place du Four Saint-Melaine, which was then called the Place au Lait.
In 1728, the rivers were covered and the square paved, hence the name Pavé Neuf, which was then given to it.
On the way to the Viaduct, we notice the kiosk that was offered to the city of Morlaix by Auguste Ropars, doctor of law and president of municipal music.
Anyone who pays attention to the kiosk will notice the plaque affixed in 1973 in memory of the 1943 hostages. On 25 January 1943, a grenade was thrown from Gambetta Street into the "Quiviger rooms" which were, at the time, the "Soldatenheim", the German soldiers' mess. Several soldiers were wounded. The next day 400 people were arrested and gathered in the square. 60 of them were sent to the Ploujean airfield and from there to the Buchenwald death camp. Only 27 of them returned alive from this terrible and inhuman place.
In French, the square was named "Grand Place" when it was extended to the Viaduct, then Place Thiers on February 08, 1883, and finally Place des Otages on December 26, 1973 in memory of this tragic event."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Qui a placé ce repère historique ? / Who placed this historical marker ?:
La ville de Morlaix


Date de placement / Date of establishment: Not listed

Site internet / Internet Website: Not listed

Eléments cryptés / Encrypted elements: Not listed

Conditions de visite alternatives / Alternative visit requirements: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
[FR] Une preuve de votre visite est demandée. Joignez à votre log une photo du repère historique et culturel ou répondez à la question alternative proposée par l'owner quand elle existe (si vous ne pouvez joindre de photo).
[ENG] A proof of your visit is needed. Join a picture from the historical and cultural marker to your log or respond to the alternative question proposed by owner if available (if you can't provide a picture).
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Histoires de France (French historical markers)
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
3vero3 visited La place des otages - Morlaix - France 01/22/2023 3vero3 visited it