Königlich Preußische Landesaufnahme - St. Ägidien, Hannover, NS
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member André de Montbard
N 52° 22.161 E 009° 44.339
32U E 550312 N 5802376
Quick Description: Prussian measurement stud at the Ägidien church in downtown Hannover.
Location: Niedersachsen, Germany
Date Posted: 1/19/2019 4:09:46 AM
Waymark Code: WMZXGX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member wayfrog
Views: 3

Long Description:
The "Königlich Preußische Landesaufnahme" is situated at the Tower of the in WW II ruined Ägidien church, a gothic parish church of the old city of Hannover.

The Aegidienkirche was a church in Hanover, the capital of Lower Saxony, Germany. It was one of three churches in the Old Town, the others being the Marktkirche and the Kreuzkirche. It was destroyed in World War II, and was left in ruins as a war memorial.

The church was built in the 14th century in the centre of Hanover, succeeding a chapel, and a Romanesque church built in 1163. The western wall of that church is partly extant. The church was dedicated to Saint Giles, one of the Fourteen Holy Helpers. The present Gothic building was built in 1347 of sandstone from the Deister. The Reformation in Hanover began in this church. The steeple was decorated with a Baroque facade in 1703 to 1711, designed by Sudfeld Vick. The interior of the church was remodeled in 1826 by Georg Ludwig Friedrich Laves who used columns from cast iron.

Source Wikipedia

The church was destroyed in a 1943 air-raid on the city,[2] as was most of the old town, including the other two churches. It was left in ruins as a war memorial. A monumental sculpture in the interior was designed in 1959 by Kurt Lehmann [de] and called Demut (Humility).[2] Several Baroque epitaphs are featured on the outer walls. One of them, for Susanna Magdalena Oldekop, who died in 1648 as a child, shows her with an angel. The Siebenmännerstein [de] shows a relief of seven praying men who, according to legend, sacrificed themselves at the Döhren Tower [de] to rescue the town. The epitaph at the church is a copy of the original which is held by the Historisches Museum am Hohen Ufer [de].[3] The Aegidienkirche has belonged to the Marktkirche parish from 1982.
Typ / Type: Königlich Preußische Landesaufnahme

Hinweise zum Auffinden vor Ort / How to find the Benchmark:
60 cm rechts von der Südwestlichen Turmecke, etwa 80 cm hoch / 60 cm left of south-western corner of the tower, about 80 cm high


gemessene Höhe / measured elevation: Not listed

GPS-Empfänfger / GPS Device: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
[DE] Um einen Besuch bei einem Waymark in dieser Kategorie zu loggen, muss ein selbsterstelltes Foto des Höhenfestpunkts hochgeladen werden. Ein ausführlicher Log und zusätzliche Bilder sind gerne gesehen.

[EN] To log a visit to a waymark in this category, a self-made photo of the benchmark must be uploaded. A detailed log and additional photos are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest German Benchmarks
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.