By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Shugborough Hall Compass Rose - Stafford, Staffordshire, England, UK.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Poole/Freeman
N 52° 47.998 W 002° 00.766
30U E 566558 N 5850475
Quick Description: A compass rose located at Shugborough Hall, a National Trust Property located in Great Haywood, near Stafford.
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 12/28/2018 7:24:23 AM
Waymark Code: WMZRDH
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member THE DAM TROLLS
Views: 0

Long Description:
Shugborough Hall is an elegant Georgian mansion set in beautiful parkland on the Shugborough Estate in Great Haywood.

The compass rose is located on the floor of the mansions grand entrance hall.
It includes text that refers to places and events that occurred on the circumnavigation of the globe, by the Anson brothers - George and Thomas.

"George Anson, 1st Baron Anson
Admiral of the Fleet George Anson, 1st Baron Anson, PC, FRS (23 April 1697 – 6 June 1762) was a Royal Navy officer. Anson served as a junior officer during the War of the Spanish Succession and then saw active service against Spain at the Battle of Cape Passaro during the War of the Quadruple Alliance. He then undertook a circumnavigation of the globe during the War of Jenkins' Ear. Anson commanded the fleet that defeated the French Admiral de la Jonquière at the First Battle of Cape Finisterre during the War of the Austrian Succession." (visit link)

"Thomas Anson (c. 1695 – 30 March 1773), FRS was a British Member of Parliament, traveller and amateur architect from the Anson family.
In 1740 Thomas briefly joined his brother George on The Centurion, as he and his crew began their circumnavigation of the globe. Anson left them in order to travel to Egypt." (visit link)

Shugborough is a rare survival of a complete estate, set in 900 acres of stunning parkland and riverside gardens, it still includes all major buildings including the mansion house, servants' quarters, historic farmyard and walled garden.

"The Shugborough Estate is situated on the edge of Cannock Chase, about 4 miles east of Stafford.
The estate was owned by the Bishops of Lichfield until the Dissolution of the Monasteries, when it passed through several hands before being purchased in 1624 by William Anson, a local lawyer and ancestor of the Earls of Lichfield.
The estate remained in the Anson family for three centuries. Following the death of the 4th Earl of Lichfield in 1960, the estate was allocated to the National Trust in lieu of death duties, and then immediately leased to Staffordshire County Council. Management of the estate was returned to the National Trust in 2016. It is open to the public and comprises the hall, museum, kitchen garden and a model farm." SOURCE: (visit link)

The estate also features a land train ride, play park, restaurant & tea rooms, craft workshops, gift shop and offers a fantastic full day out.
Shugborough also has a busy events schedule with themed weekends, concerts, shows, guided walks, school holiday & bank holiday fun and more. (visit link) (visit link)
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Compass Roses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.