By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Bell tower St. Aegidius Kirche - Bad Salzig, Rh.-Pf., Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member kaschper69
N 50° 12.270 E 007° 37.949
32U E 402412 N 5562263
Quick Description: St. Aegigius Church with a bell tower in Bad Salzig.
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
Date Posted: 12/13/2018 9:49:58 AM
Waymark Code: WMZP8C
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 1

Long Description:
[DE] "Die Kirche Sankt Aegidius in Bad Salzig, einem Ortsbezirk von Boppard, ist die Pfarrkirche der katholischen Pfarrei Sankt Ägidius. Die Kirche beziehungsweise die Pfarrei sind nach dem heiligen Aegidius von St. Gilles benannt. Am Ort der heutigen Kirche stand schon im 13. Jahrhundert eine Kapelle, die heutige Pfarrkirche wurde 1904 geweiht.
Westlich grenzt der Friedhof von Bad Salzig an die Kirche und nördlich davon steht das Pfarrhaus. Die Gesamtanlage mit Pfarrkirche, Friedhof und Pfarrhaus steht unter Denkmalschutz.

Die Kirche steht auf einer Anhöhe südwestlich des ehemaligen Dorfkerns. Erst im 20. Jahrhundert wurde sie komplett in den Ort integriert. Die Straße, an der sie steht, heißt Weilerer Weg. Ihr Haupteingang wird über eine lange Treppe von Norden her erreicht. Westlich an die Kirche schließt sich der Friedhof von Bad Salzig an. Nördlich, etwas unterhalb der Kirche befindet sich das ebenfalls denkmalgeschützte Pfarrhaus.

Eine Kapelle in Salzig wurde erstmals durch den Trierer Erzbischof Heinrich II. von Finstingen am 12. Juni 1275 und durch König Adolf von Nassau am 7. Januar 1294 in Urkunden erwähnt. Die Kapelle tauchte auch in dem um 1290 entstandenen Schenkungsbuch Liber Donationum auf.Patron der Kapelle war der heilige Aegidius von St. Gilles einer der vierzehn Nothelfer.
Im 14. und 15. Jahrhundert wurde am Ort der Kapelle eine neue Kirche gebaut. Der Chor aus dem 14. Jahrhundert und der Glockenturm aus dem 15. Jahrhundert sind Bestandteil der heutigen Pfarrkirche. Die Marienglocke, die älteste Glocke der Kirche, wurde 1471 gegossen. Mit der Verleihung des Rechts auf einen eigenen Taufbrunnen, wahrscheinlich am 25. März 1563, wurde Salzig mit der Filiale Weiter zu einer selbstständigen Pfarrei ernannt. Im Jahr 1568 wurde die Kirche erstmals als Pfarrkirche bezeichnet.
Als die Salziger Kirche gebaut wurde, hatten die Dörfer Salzig und Weiler zusammen etwa 300 Einwohner. Im Jahr 1788 waren es bereits 798 und im Jahr 1825 rund 1100 Bewohner. Die Kirche wurde zu klein. Schon um 1702 errichtete man einen Anbau und im Jahr 1825 wurde die Kirche nochmals vergrößert. Doch auch dieser Anbau reichte nicht aus. Im Jahr 1868 war die Zahl der Pfarrangehörigen auf 1684 gestiegen. Unter Pfarrer Nick, nach dem eine Straße in Salzig östlich der Kirche benannt ist, wurde ein zusätzlicher Erweiterungsbau von dem Architekten Lambert von Fisenne im Stil einer neugotischen Hallenkirche errichtet. Am 27. Januar 1899 wurde mit dem Bau begonnen, der am 11. August 1901 vollendet wurde. Der Neubau kostete zirka 83.000 Mark. Am 24. April 1904 wurde die Kirche von Bischof Michael Felix Korum geweiht. Unter Pfarrer Rahm wurde im Jahr 1905 das heutige Pfarrhaus östlich der Kirche an der Kirchentreppe erbaut.
Der ab 1966 in Bad Salzig wirkende Pfarrer Werner Mathieu ließ zuerst das Pfarrhaus und danach in den Jahren 1967 und 1968 die Pfarrkirche renovieren. Dabei wurde der Altarraum umgebaut. Der neue Altar wurde von Weihbischof Alfred Kleinermeilert konsekriert. Zirka zwanzig Jahre später wurde die Aegidiuskirche nun unter Pfarrer Meidt wieder renoviert. Zwischen 1985 und 1987 erhielt sie ein neues Schieferdach und, nachdem die Außenmauern trockengelegt waren, auch einen neuen Außenanstrich. Im Jahr 1988 erfolgte eine weitere Renovierung des Innenraums."

[EN] "The church of Sankt Aegidius in Bad Salzig, a district of Boppard, is the parish church of the Catholic parish of Sankt Ägidius. The church and the parish are named after Saint Aegidius of St. Gilles. In the 13th century there was already a chapel on the site of today's church, the present parish church was consecrated in 1904.
To the west, the cemetery of Bad Salzig borders on the church and to the north of it is the parsonage. The entire complex with its parish church, cemetery and rectory is a listed monument.

The church stands on a hill to the southwest of the former village centre. It wasn't until the 20th century that it was completely integrated into the town. The street where she stands is called Weilerer Weg. Its main entrance is reached by a long staircase from the north. To the west of the church is the cemetery of Bad Salzig. To the north, just below the church is the parsonage, which is also a listed building.

A chapel in Salzig was first mentioned in documents by the Archbishop of Trier Henry II of Finstingen on 12 June 1275 and by King Adolf of Nassau on 7 January 1294. The chapel also appeared in the Liber Donationum book of donations from around 1290, the patron saint of the chapel being St. Aegidius of St. Gilles, one of the fourteen emergency helpers.
In the 14th and 15th centuries, a new church was built on the site of the chapel. The 14th century choir and the 15th century bell tower are part of the present parish church. The Marienglocke, the oldest bell of the church, was cast in 1471. With the conferral of the right to an own baptismal fountain, probably on March 25,1563, Salzig was appointed as an independent parish with the branch in Weiter. In 1568 the church was first called a parish church.
When the church was built, the villages of Salzig and Weiler together had about 300 inhabitants.
In 1788 there were already 798 and in 1825 about 1100 inhabitants. The church became too small. As early as 1702 an annex was built and in 1825 the church was enlarged again. But this cultivation was not enough either. In 1868 the number of parishioners had risen to 1684. Under Pastor Nick, after whom a street in Salzig east of the church is named, an additional extension was built by the architect Lambert von Fisenne in the style of a neo-Gothic hall church. Construction began on 27 January 1899 and was completed on 11 August 1901. The new building cost about 83,000 marks. Bishop Michael Felix Korum consecrated the church on April 24,1904. In 1905 the present-day rectory to the east of the church on the church steps was built under the direction of Father Rahm.
The parish priest Werner Mathieu, who worked in Bad Salzig from 1966 onwards, had the parsonage renovated first and then, in 1967 and 1968, the parish church. The altar room was rebuilt. The new altar was consecrated by auxiliary bishop Alfred Kleinermeilert. Approximately twenty years later, the Aegidius Church was restored under Father Meidt. Between 1985 and 1987, it was given a new slate roof and, after the exterior walls had been drained, a new exterior coat of paint. In 1988, another renovation of the interior took place."

(visit link)
Address of Tower:
Weilerer Weg
Bad Salzig,


Still Operational: yes

Relevant website?: [Web Link]

Rate tower:

Tours or visits allowed in tower?: Unknown

Number of bells in tower?: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
Please post an original picture of the tower taken while you were there. Please also record how you came to be at this tower and any other interesting information you learned about it while there.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Bell Towers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.