By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Cathédrale Saint-Front - Périgueux, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 45° 11.022 E 000° 43.362
31T E 321088 N 5005880
Quick Description: [EN] The cathedral Saint-Front is a catholic Roman cathedral, seat of the diocese of Périgueux and Sarlat, located in the center of Périgueux [FR] La cathédrale Saint-Front est une cathédrale catholique romaine, siège du diocèse de Périgueux et Sarlat, située dans le centre-ville de Périgueux
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 12/2/2018 2:27:34 AM
Waymark Code: WMZMJ8
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 0

Long Description:

"Remounting in its early days in the fourth and fifth centuries, the building was first a church, then an abbey before taking the title of cathedral in the sixteenth century, following the bag by the Huguenots of the former episcopal seat , the Saint-Etienne-de-la-Cité church.

Restored by Paul Abadie in the second half of the 19th century, Saint-Front Cathedral, like the Basilica of Saint Mark of Venice, has a Greek cross-shaped plan and five domes on pendants that recall the structure of the church. Holy Apostles of Constantinople.

The building, first abbey church, took the name of the one who was, according to legend, the first bishop of Périgueux: Saint Front.

It is also an important step on the way to Santiago de Compostela, and as such a World Heritage Site.

The history of the church is related to the legend of St-Front who evangelized Perigord to the fourth or fifth century. It was around the place of burial of the body of St-Front that rose a moustier then a city. The first church was built by Bishop Chronope around 500-536. The Normans destroyed it around 845.

The place attracting more and more people, the Bishop Frotaire is sent to Périgueux in 976, by Hugh Capet, to build the great abbey of St-Front which will be consecrated in 1047.

The abbey church could not accommodate the pilgrims of Compostela, so a cupola church was built during the 11th century. It was placed in continuation of the existing church and the altar served for the two churches. The "old church" had its choir in the East and the new one in the West. The dome church had a staircase to the east that allowed access from the banks of the Isle.

In 1120, a fire destroyed the town, the old church and a large part of its abbey. By 1350, the cupola church was to be extended to the east (at the place of the staircase) by a gothic apse. Not an apse was built, but a chapel (St-Antoine), endowed by Cardinal Taleyrand and served by autonomous chaplains. In 1525 a parish church was built (St-Jean-Baptiste and then Ste-Anne) contiguous to the North-East, where is now the chapel of the Virgin. "

Sources : The Church

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" Remontant dans ses premiers jours aux IVe et Ve siècles, l'édifice fut d'abord une église, puis une abbaye avant de prendre le titre de cathédrale au XVIe siècle, à la suite du sac par les Huguenots de l'ancien siège épiscopal, l'église Saint-Étienne-de-la-Cité.

Restaurée par Paul Abadie durant la seconde moitié du XIXe siècle, la cathédrale Saint-Front a, comme la basilique Saint-Marc de Venise, son plan en forme de croix grecque et ses cinq coupoles sur pendentifs qui rappellent la structure de l'église des Saints-Apôtres de Constantinople.

L'édifice, d'abord église abbatiale, a pris le nom de celui qui fut, selon la légende, le premier évêque de Périgueux : saint Front.

Elle est également une étape importante sur le chemin de Saint-Jacques de Compostelle, et à ce titre classée au patrimoine mondial de l’Humanité.

L’histoire de l’église se rattache à la légende de St-Front qui évangélisa le Périgord vers le IVème ou Vème siècle. C’est autour du lieu d’inhumation du corps de St-Front que s’élevèrent un moustier puis une ville. La première église fut bâtie par l’évêque Chronope vers 500-536. Les Normands la détruisirent vers 845.

Le lieu attirant de plus en plus de monde, l’évêque Frotaire est envoyé à Périgueux en 976, par Hugues Capet, pour construire la grande abbaye de St-Front qui sera consacrée en 1047.

L’église abbatiale ne pouvait accueillir les pèlerins de Compostelle, on construisit donc une église à coupole au cours du XIème siècle. Elle fut placée en prolongement de l’église existante et l’autel servit pour les deux églises. La « vieille église » avait son chœur à l’Est et la nouvelle à l’Ouest. L’église à coupole avait à l’Est un escalier qui permettait d’y accéder depuis les bords de l’Isle.

En 1120, un incendie ravage le bourg, la vieille église et une grande partie de son abbaye. Vers 1350 l’église à coupole devait être allongée à l’Est (à l’emplacement de l’escalier) par une abside gothique. On construisit non pas une abside mais une chapelle (St-Antoine), dotée par le cardinal Taleyrand et desservie par des chapelains autonomes. En 1525 on construisit une église paroissiale (St-Jean-Baptiste puis Ste-Anne) accolée au Nord-Est, là où est maintenant la chapelle de la Vierge. "

Sources : L’Eglise

Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Please provide another photo of the location. You don't have to be in there shot, but you can. The photo requirement is to discourage any armchair visiting.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Satellite Imagery Oddities
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
pmaupin visited Cathédrale Saint-Front - Périgueux, France 11/25/2018 pmaupin visited it