By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Pawhuska City Hall - Pawhuska, OK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 36° 39.802 W 096° 20.460
14S E 737650 N 4060823
Quick Description: Also known as Osage Council House. Pawhuska City Hall was the first Osage Tribal Council House built in 1894. The bell tower was used to call councilmen to meetings.
Location: Oklahoma, United States
Date Posted: 11/26/2018 6:54:35 AM
Waymark Code: WMZKRR
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of city hall: Osage County
Location of city hall: Main and Grandview Ave. , Pawhuska
Phone: (918) 287-3040
Built 1894
Architectural Style: Late Victorian - Romanesque and Queen Anne

"PAWHUSKA CITY HALL, 118 West Main Street, 1894. Originally built as the COUNCIL HOUSE for the Osage Nation, this structure, with two foot thick sandstone walls, was bought by the City in 1907 for use as a City Hall when Oklahoma became a state and the Osage Nation was dissolved. The structure measures thirty-eight feet wide and fifty-two feet deep. The main floor is raised about one-half story above the sidewalk. Continuous sandstone beltcourses run around the building at the first and second floor window sill levels. All windows are the same size and are symmetrically placed on all facades. The north, or front facade, has a wide set of steps leading to the entry. Originally a pair of panelled wood doors, the entry now has a circa 1930 wood door with glass panel flanked by stacks of glass blocks. A multi-paned fanlight is still intact with stained glass in good condition. The window above this, on the second floor, is arched. Above this is a small bull's-eye window in the attic gable. On the east facade, at the interior stair landing, is a three foot wide, twelve foot tall window with Queen Ann style stained glass squares bordering the sashes. The basement windows were added when the local police department and jail were housed there. All squared windows have massive sandstone lintels; all arched openings, hand cut sandstone voussoirs. A wide fascia and wood cornice, supported by carved wood modillions, conceals the copper gutter and runs the perimeter of the building except for the gable." ~ NRHP Nomination Form

Public/Private: Public

Tours Available?: Probably

Year Built: 1894

Web Address: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:

Category Visiting Requirements


An original photo is necessary to log a visit in this category along with a description of the visit. No extra visit requirements are allowed by the waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Victorian Style Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.