Château d'Aubenas - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 44° 37.228 E 004° 23.427
31T E 610309 N 4941730
Quick Description: Le château d'Aubenas est très certainement le plus bel ensemble d'architecture civile du Vivarais. The castle of Aubenas is certainly the most beautiful ensemble of civil architecture of Vivarais.
Location: Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, France
Date Posted: 11/12/2018 12:03:11 PM
Waymark Code: WMZH6W
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 3

Long Description:
Credits : (visit link)

"Du xiie siècle à la Révolution, six familles seigneuriales se succèdent. La famille de Montlaur va régner de 1084 à 1441, et construira le donjon, le mur d'enceinte ainsi que les deux tours rondes du château, alors entouré de fossés. Le château va ensuite passer entre les mains des Maubec jusqu'en 1551, des Modène suivis des Ornano jusqu'en 1665, des Harcout-Lorraine qui le lèguent ensuite en 1716 aux Vogüé, qui le gardent jusqu'en 1792. L'édifice devient propriété de la ville d'Aubenas en 1810.

Le château des Montlaur (xiie - xve siècle)
À l'origine du château d'Aubenas, il y a une tour de garde qui occupe une place stratégique en un point de rencontre et un carrefour commercial. Au pied du rocher calcaire où fut construite la tour, passe en effet la voie qui va du Puy-en-Velay à Montélimar, entre Auvergne et Provence. Dès le ve siècle, cette position stratégique est l'objet d'une lutte tenace entre les évêques de Viviers et ceux du Puy-en-Velay. Ces derniers l'emportent et inféodent cette nouvelle possession au xie siècle (1084) au baron de Montlaur (Pons Ier de Montlaur), originaire de la montagne ardéchoise, à la limite ouest de l'actuel département de l'Ardèche. Cette famille y régnera jusqu'en 1441 et construit le donjon, le mur d'enceinte et les deux grosses tours rondes du château qui est alors entouré de fossés. C'est pourquoi l'on appelle Aubenas « la cité des Montlaur », seigneurs qui furent à l'origine non seulement de l'essor économique de la ville, mais aussi du développement social et matériel de ses habitants. Leur devise était : « Montlaur, au plus haut ! ».

La devise "Montlaur au plus haut" sculpté dans la cour intérieure.
À l'époque des Montlaur, le château comportait le haut donjon de 26, 50 mètres. dont la terrasse crénelée dominait le paysage. Ce donjon, généralement datée de la fin du xie siècle, était semblable à ceux de Rochecolombe, Antraigues, Montréal, Vogüé. Son rez-de-chaussée était fermé et on accédait aux étages que par une échelle. La superficie de l'enceinte était à peu près celle d'aujourd'hui, mais on pénétrait dans le château par un pont-levis situé à l'ouest qui surmontait le fossé. La façade sud, la plus accessible, était protégée par une vaste basse-cour, l'actuelle place du château, protégée par une solide courtine flanquée des hautes tours qui encadrent l'entrée actuelle. Vers l'est, l'actuelle salle du Pesage était installée à l'intérieur et l'enceinte comme salle de réception dès le xiiie siècle.

Les Montlaur passent peu de temps au château d'Aubenas, ils sont souvent dans leurs autres baronnies du vivarais (Montpezat, Montlaur), en Velay, au Puy ou à Arlempdes. À Aubenas ils résidaient habituellement dans leur tour fortifiée du Pont d'Aubenas, la plus grosse de la région.

De la Renaissance à la Révolution
De 1441 à 1551, le château revient aux Maubec, par le mariage de Jeanne de Montlaur avec le seigneur de Maubec, les deux descendants masculins étant morts. Cette famille fera construire la tour à fenêtres à meneaux de la cour intérieur, dite la tour des Maubec. Cette tour permettait de communiquer avec les étages avant l'installation du grand escalier à vis au xviie siècle.

En 1551, la seigneurie passe par mariage aux Modène, jusqu'en 1611. Ils laissent leur signature au château en construisant la loggia à l'italienne sur trois niveaux d'arcades dans la cour intérieure. Le château féodal se transforme peu à peu en résidence d'agrément de la renaissance à la Révolution.

En 1611, la ville passe à la famille d'Ornano qui continue de faire du château une demeure de plaisance, sans négliger le souci de défense. Les échauguettes du donjon qui permettent de battre les alentours du château, les mâchicoulis du sud, mais aussi les toitures vernissées des tours et du donjon, la porte à bossage de la tour sud-ouest qui menait aux écuries, l'aménagement des salles du premier étage qui est alors couvert de boiseries et plafonné "à la française", sont leur œuvre.

François de Lorraine prince d'Harcourt hérite ensuite en 1665 de la terre et du château d'Aubenas en épousant Anne d'Ornano, nièce de Jean-Baptiste d'Ornano. Les d'Harcourt s'occupent peu de leur château d'Aubenas et l'un de ses descendants vendra la baronnie d'Aubenas à son cousin Cérice-François de Vogüé en 1716.

La famille de Vogüé gardera la seigneurie jusqu'à la révolution. Charles-François de Vogüé (1713 - 1782) fait percer les portes jumelles de la façade sud et la double volée du monumentale escalier qui fixent alors l'entrée du château. Il fait poser en 1768, par Nicolas Cellier, les boiseries de lambris Louis XV ou Louis XVI dans les appartements, et aménager les salons, ainsi que le grand escalier d'honneur situé à l'angle nord-ouest de la cour intérieur et dont la rampe est un chef-d'œuvre de ferronnerie du XVIIIe. Les travaux du château sont sans doute supervisés par sa femme, Marie Madeleine de Truchet, et de ses agents. L'appartement du frère du seigneur, Félix de Vogüé, est aménagé au rez-de-chaussée, côté sud.

Du xviiie siècle au xxie siècle
Après la révolution française, le château d'Aubenas est déclaré bien national et pillé le 13 octobre 1792. La ville d'Aubenas parvient à le protéger et y installe la mairie en 1810. Le tribunal de commerce s'installe par la suite dans la partie nord, et le pesage des cocons se tient dans l'ancienne salle des gardes. Aujourd'hui, le château n'abrite plus les services municipaux, la mairie se trouve dans l'ancienne gendarmerie, le bâtiment accolé au château, depuis 1985."

"From the twelfth century to the Revolution, six seigniorial families succeed one another: the family of Montlaur will reign from 1084 to 1441, and build the dungeon, the wall and the two round towers of the castle, then surrounded by ditches. castle will then pass in the hands of Maubec until 1551, Modena followed by the Ornano until 1665, Harcout-Lorraine who then bequeath it in 1716 to the Vogüé, who keep it until 1792. The building becomes property from the city of Aubenas in 1810.

The castle of Montlaur (twelfth - fifteenth century)
At the origin of the castle of Aubenas, there is a guard tower which occupies a strategic place in a point of meeting and a commercial crossroads. At the foot of the limestone rock where the tower was built, the route goes from Puy-en-Velay to Montélimar, between Auvergne and Provence. From the fifth century, this strategic position is the subject of a tenacious struggle between the bishops of Viviers and those of Puy-en-Velay. The latter prevail and infeodate this new possession in the eleventh century (1084) to the Baron de Montlaur (Pons I Montlaur), originally from the Ardeche mountains, at the western edge of the current department of Ardeche. This family will reign there until 1441 and build the dungeon, the wall and the two big round towers of the castle which is then surrounded by ditches. This is why Aubenas is called "the city of the Montlaurs", lords who were at the origin not only of the economic growth of the city, but also of the social and material development of its inhabitants. Their motto was: "Montlaur, at the highest! ".

The motto "Montlaur at the highest" carved in the inner courtyard.
At the time of the Montlaurs, the castle included the high dungeon of 26, 50 meters. whose crenellated terrace dominated the landscape. This dungeon, generally dated to the end of the eleventh century, was similar to those of Rochecolombe, Antraigues, Montreal, and Vogue. Its ground floor was closed and we reached the floors only by a ladder. The area of ??the enclosure was about the size of today, but the castle was entered by a drawbridge to the west that surmounted the ditch. The south façade, the most accessible, was protected by a vast barnyard, the current castle square, protected by a solid curtain flanked by tall towers that frame the current entrance. To the east, the current weighing room was installed inside and the enclosure as a reception room from the thirteenth century.

The Montlaurs spend little time at the castle Aubenas, they are often in their other baronnies Vivarais (Montpezat, Montlaur), Velay, Le Puy or Arlempdes. In Aubenas they usually resided in their fortified tower of the Pont d'Aubenas, the largest in the region.

From the Renaissance to the Revolution
From 1441 to 1551, the castle returns to Maubec, by the marriage of Jeanne de Montlaur with the lord of Maubec, the two male descendants being dead. This family will build the mullioned window tower of the inner courtyard, called the Maubec Tower. This tower allowed communication with the floors before the installation of the grand staircase in the seventeenth century.

In 1551, the lordship goes through marriage to the Modena, until 1611. They leave their signature to the castle by building the Italian loggia on three levels of arcades in the inner courtyard. The feudal castle is gradually transformed into a pleasure residence from the Renaissance to the Revolution.

In 1611, the city passes to the family of Ornano who continues to make the castle a residence of pleasure, without neglecting the concern of defense. The watchtowers of the dungeon which allow to beat the neighborhoods of the castle, the machicoulis of the south, but also the glazed roofs of the towers and dungeon, the bossed door of the south-west tower which led to the stables, the arrangement of the rooms of the first floor which is then covered with woodwork and capped "French", are their work.

François de Lorraine prince d'Harcourt inherits then in 1665 from the ground and the castle of Aubenas by marrying Anne d'Ornano, niece of Jean-Baptiste d'Ornano. The d'Harcourt do not care much about their castle of Aubenas and one of his descendants will sell the barony of Aubenas to his cousin Cérice-François de Vogüé in 1716.

The family of Vogüé will keep the lordship until the revolution. Charles-François de Vogüé (1713 - 1782) had the twin doors of the south façade pierced and the double flight of the monumental staircase then fixing the entrance to the castle. He made ask in 1768, by Nicolas Cellier, the wood paneling Louis XV or Louis XVI in the apartments, and arrange the living rooms, as well as the grand staircase of honor located at the corner northwest of the inner courtyard and of which The ramp is a masterpiece of 18th century ironwork. The works of the castle are undoubtedly supervised by his wife, Marie Madeleine de Truchet, and his agents. The apartment of the Lord's brother, Félix de Vogüé, is on the ground floor , south side.From the eighteenth century to the twenty-first centuryAfter the French Revolution, the castle of Aubenas is declared well national and looted October 13, 1792. The city of Aubenas manages to protect it and installs the town hall in 1810. The court Afterwards, the trade is moved to the northern part, and the weighing of the cocoons is held in the old guard room. Today, the castle no longer houses municipal services, the town hall is in the former gendarmerie, the building attached to the castle, since 1985. "
Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.