By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Église Saint-Étienne - Lille, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 50° 38.110 E 003° 03.587
31U E 504227 N 5609257
Quick Description: [EN] The Saint-Etienne church is a baroque church located Rue de l'Hôpital-Militaire near the Grand'Place de Lille. [FR] L’église Saint-Étienne est une église baroque située Rue de l'Hôpital-Militaire à proximité de la Grand'Place de Lille.
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 11/1/2018 11:16:52 AM
Waymark Code: WMZF59
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member wayfrog
Views: 1

Long Description:

"Built from 1606 as a church of the Jesuit college adjoining, and dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, it became a parish under the patronage of Saint Stephen in 1796. This church was classified a Historic Monument in September 1987.

The current Saint-Etienne church is actually the old chapel of the Jesuit college. The old church of St. Stephen's parish was destroyed by fire in 1792 during the siege of the city by the Austrians. It stood at the northern corner of the Grand'Place (as evidenced by the names of the streets where she erected: rue Saint-Étienne, rue des Débris Saint-Étienne, rue du curé Saint-Étienne) and dated mainly the fourteenth century. and fifteenth century.

The history of the Jesuit chapel, today's Saint-Etienne church, dates back to the early 17th century. With the support of the bishop Jean Vendeville, a group of Jesuits, arrived in Lille in 1562, resumed the charge of the municipal college, founded in 1529 by the magistrate of Lille. In 1606, the Jesuits began the construction of the chapel of the college which was completed in 1610. It will be destroyed by a fire on October 8, 1740 and all his furniture including several paintings of Rubens, among which the fall of the rebellious angels and Job .

It was rebuilt from 1743 by the architect François-Joseph Gombert according to the plans of Dominique Delesalle. Delayed by the War of Austrian Succession in 1744 and the siege of Tournai in 1745, the work was completed in late 1748 allowing its consecration by the bishop of Tournai in 1750.

When the Jesuits were expelled from France in 1765, the chapel became that of the communal college. But the latter was moved to the Place aux Bleuets in 1767. From 1778, the building of the former college became a military hospital and the chapel of the Immaculate Conception, the chapel of the hospital. It is in this chapel that the 434 deputies of the three orders of the Bailiwick of Lille meet in March 1789 to prepare the Estates General of 1789. Disused in 1791, the chapel serves as a military armory from 1793 to 1796.

After the destruction of the church Saint-Étienne in 1792, the parish is deprived of place of worship. Thus in 1796, the former chapel of the Jesuit College was reopened to worship and took the title of parish church Saint-Étienne. It was again damaged by fire in July 1910, but its structure is not affected and most of its furniture is preserved.

Since autumn 2017, the priests of the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest have been celebrating masses in Latin, according to the "extraordinary form of the Roman rite", every day of the week. "

Sources : The Church

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" Construite à partir de 1606 comme église du collège jésuite y attenant, et consacrée à l'Immaculée conception, elle est devenue paroissiale sous le patronage de saint Étienne en 1796. Cette église a été classée Monument historique en septembre 1987.

L'actuelle église Saint-Étienne est en réalité l'ancienne chapelle du collège des jésuites. L'ancienne église de la paroisse Saint-Étienne a été détruite par un incendie en 1792 lors du siège de la ville par les Autrichiens. Elle se dressait alors au coin nord de la Grand'Place (comme en témoignent les noms des rues où elle s’érigeait : rue Saint-Étienne, rue des débris Saint-Étienne, rue du curé Saint-Étienne) et datait essentiellement des XIVe et XVe siècles.

L'histoire de la chapelle des Jésuites, actuelle église Saint-Étienne, remonte au début du XVIIe siècle. Avec le soutien de l'évèque Jean Vendeville, un groupe de jésuites, arrivés à Lille en 1562, reprend la charge du collège municipal, fondé en 1529 par le magistrat de Lille. En 1606, les Jésuites entreprennent la construction de la chapelle du collège qui s'achève en 1610. Elle sera détruite par un incendie le 8 octobre 1740 ainsi que tout son mobilier dont plusieurs tableaux de Rubens, parmi lesquels la chute des anges rebelles et Job.

Elle est reconstruite à partir de 1743 par l'architecte François-Joseph Gombert selon les plans de Dominique Delesalle. Retardés par la guerre de Succession d'Autriche en 1744 et par le siège de Tournai en 1745, les travaux sont achevés fin 1748 permettant sa consécration par l'évêque de Tournai en 1750.

Lorsque les Jésuites sont expulsés de France en 1765, la chapelle devient celle du collège communal. Mais ce dernier est déplacé place aux Bleuets en 1767. À partir de 1778, le bâtiment de l'ancien collège devient un hôpital militaire et la chapelle de l'Immaculée Conception, la chapelle de l'hôpital. C'est dans cette chapelle que les 434 députés des trois ordres du bailliage de Lille se réunissent en mars 1789 pour préparer les États généraux de 1789. Désaffectée en 1791, la chapelle sert de manège militaire de 1793 à 1796.

Après la destruction de l'église Saint-Étienne en 1792, la paroisse se trouve privée de lieu de culte. C'est ainsi qu'en 1796, l'ancienne chapelle du collège des Jésuites est rouverte au culte et prend le titre d'église paroissiale Saint-Étienne. Elle est de nouveau endommagée par le feu en juillet 1910, mais sa structure n'est pas affectée et l'essentiel de son mobilier est préservé.

Depuis l'automne 2017, les prêtres de l'Institut du Christ-Roi Souverain Prêtre y célèbrent des messes en latin, selon la « forme extraordinaire du rite romain », chaque jour de la semaine. "

Sources : L’Eglise

Style: Baroque

Type of building (structure): Large religious building (church, monastery, synagogue...)

Date of origin:: 1606

Architect(s): François-Joseph Gombert

Web site of the object (if exists): [Web Link]

Address:
47 Rue de l'Hôpital-Militaire 59000 Lille France


Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photo of the structure. You or your GPS can be in the picture, but it’s not a requirement.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Baroque Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
pmaupin visited Église Saint-Étienne - Lille, France 11/1/2018 pmaupin visited it