Le cimetière des chiens du château de Chaumont sur Loire - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 47° 28.617 E 001° 11.166
31T E 363331 N 5259762
Quick Description: A l'intérieur de l'immense domaine du château de CHaumont sur Loire, un cimetière de chiens avec également la tombe d'un éléphant. Inside the huge castle estate of CHaumont sur Loire, a cemetery of dogs with also the tomb of an elephant.
Location: Centre-Val-de-Loire, France
Date Posted: 10/28/2018 4:43:10 AM
Waymark Code: WMZE61
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member wayfrog
Views: 3

Long Description:
Credits : (visit link)

"Adorant les animaux, et souhaitant que ceux-ci (chiens, singes, chats, ânes) soient enterrés à proximité de son château, la princesse de Broglie fait créer le cimetière de chiens. L'emplacement choisi est l'ancien emplacement du cimetière du village, installé à cet endroit depuis 1788. Dès l'acquisition du domaine en 1875, le couple de Broglie négocie le transfert du cimetière communal. Le nouveau cimetière est aménagé de 1881 à 1883, et entre en service à partir de cette date, avant même le début des travaux du parc. L'exhumation des corps a lieu en 1893, et c'est donc à partir de cette année, que la princesse de Broglie fait installer en ce lieu le cimetière des chiens. Ce cimetière jadis clos possédait une vingtaine de tombes avec devant chacune d'elle un bac de fleurs (dix-huit sont recensées de nos jours). Réparties sur trois rangées, à différents endroits du bosquet, ces tombes conservent pour la plupart des épitaphes gravées par la Princesse de Broglie, constituant de véritables poèmes à la mémoire de ses animaux favoris."

"Adoring the animals, and wishing that these (dogs, monkeys, cats, donkeys) are buried near its castle, the princess de Broglie has created the cemetery of dogs. The chosen site is the former site of the village cemetery, established at this location since 1788. Upon acquisition of the estate in 1875, the couple de Broglie negotiated the transfer of the communal cemetery. The new cemetery was built from 1881 to 1883 and became operational from that date, even before the park began. The exhumation of the bodies took place in 1893, and it is from this year, that the princess de Broglie made install in this place the cemetery of the dogs. This formerly closed cemetery possessed about twenty tombs with in front of each of them a tray of flowers (eighteen are listed today). Spread over three rows, at different locations in the grove, these tombs mostly contain epitaphs engraved by the Princess de Broglie, constituting poems in memory of her favorite animals."
Visit Instructions:
Post photo of an interesting tombstone from the cemetery.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Pet Cemeteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.