Chevra Kadisha of Calgary (1904) - Calgary, AB
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 51° 01.617 W 114° 03.693
11U E 706051 N 5656931
Quick Description: Though it borders MacLeod Trail, Chevra Kadisha, AKA Erlton Jewish Cemetery, can only be accessed from Erlton Street SW.
Location: Alberta, Canada
Date Posted: 10/6/2018 1:30:27 PM
Waymark Code: WMZA1P
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member wayfrog
Views: 1

Long Description:
Chevra Kadisha, also known as Erlton Jewish Cemetery, is managed by the Jewish Community in Calgary. Established in 1904, the cemetery now holds approximately 2,182 known interments. The cemetery is about 6 to 7 acres in size and is currently still active. The burials are conducted in adherence of Jewish traditions.

The cemetery is mostly flat with fencing around the perimeter with a gate near the west end of the cemetery. Most of the grave markers are black upright, slightly angled stones. The are a few large trees among the graves and a large hedge blocking the cemetery from Macleod Trail. There is an Alberta Heritage Marker attached to one of the gate posts, text from which is below.

Chevra Kadisha of Calgary (1904)

Chevra Kadisha (“Holy Society”), Calgary’s oldest Jewish organization, is a not-for-profit society which serves all of southern Alberta and continues the age-old Jewish tradition of preparing and burying the dead with dignity and proper ritual. Its volunteers are guided by the principle of Kvod Hamet - honour for the deceased.

Chevra Kadisha was formed in 1904, when the death of infant Goldie Bell prompted her father, Nathan, and community founder Jacob Diamond to buy a small cemetery site in what became the Erlton district. The society was incorporated in 1914 with Charles Malin as president.

Chevra Kadisha expanded the Erlton cemetery and later became responsible for burials in the Beth Israel (renamed Beth Tzedec) Memorial Park and the Jewish section of Queen’s Park Cemetery.
By 2013, the Erlton cemetery was fully reserved.

Burials were initially carried out in cooperation with McInnis and Holloway Funeral Homes which continues to provide some support services. In 1961, Chevra Kadisha memorial chapel opened on 17 Avenue SW and these functions were performed on site. This building was sold and in 2005 a chapel was opened adjacent to the new Chevra Kadisha burial grounds on 37 Street SW to meet the needs of the Jewish community for generations to come.

Placed by the Jewish Historical Society of Southern Alberta, 2014


Photo goes Here

Type of Marker: Cultural

Sign Age: Historic Site or Building Marker

Parking: Street parking is available on the block

Placement agency: Jewish Historical Society of Southern Alberta

Visit Instructions:
When entering a new log for visiting a waymark please provide a picture of your visit to the location and if you have an interesting alternate area or sign photo include that.

Please include any thoughts or historic information about the area that the marker may represent.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Alberta Heritage Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.