Église Saint Julien - Eguilles, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YvesProvence
N 43° 34.111 E 005° 21.271
31T E 690136 N 4826644
Quick Description: L'Église Saint Julien d'Eguilles, France
Location: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Date Posted: 10/4/2018 12:35:08 PM
Waymark Code: WMZ9ND
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Outspoken1
Views: 6

Long Description:
FR Pour remplacer l'Eglise paroissiale, tombée en ruines, située dans le cimetière, la communauté achète un terrain a côté du château, en 1681 et rebâtit une église, qui mesure 30 m de long, 14 m de large, 18 m de haut. En 1761, il y a orgues, cloche, galopin. En 1889, l'église menace de tomber en ruines, sa désaffectation est prévue pour le 20 décembre 1908, elle est motivée par le très mauvais état de la charpente. En mars 1909, une souscription est ouverte pour les réparations ; croyants et incroyants participent généreusement à cette souscription. Si bien que fin avril, les travaux sont bien avancés quand le tremblement de terre du 11 Juin 1909 remet tout en question. Ce fut un désastre dans tout le pays. Le Petit Marseillais , journal local écrit : «A Eguilles, l'église et le château sont en très piteux état et les maisons ne valent guére mieux ».

Les dégâts sont tellement importants que, au mois de Janvier 1910, la Municipalité est d'accord avec l'architecte et l'entreprise pour faire tomber les murs pendant que la population est endormie. L'alarme est donnée par un article du « Petit Marseillais », signé d'un enfant du pays : Monsieur Fauchier. La messe sera célébrée dans la petite chapelle de l'hôpital puis dans la chapelle Saint Roch, plus tard dans la propriété de Monsieur Héckenroth en plein air puis sous une tente louée par Monsieur le curé . A partir de novembre 1909 et pendant 4 ans, elle sera célébrée dans une chapelle en planches, élévée dans un coin du terrain de Madame Girard. La messe en semaine est dite dans la chapelle de l'hôpital où est conservé le Saint Sacrement.

Grâce à un emprunt municipal et au dévouement de la nouvelle municipalité, grâce aussi aux subsides fournis par l'Action Religieuse et par les habitants d'Eguilles, les fonds nécessaires pour la reconstruction sont rassemblés mais la loi de séparation interdisait aux mairies la construction de tout édifice religieux, elle ne permettait que les réparations. Ce fut sous cette forme que l'autorisation fut accordée. Les travaux commencèrent en avril 1912 mais deux incidents vinrent les ralentir : les fondations prenaient sur la tour du château, ce qui mécontenta certains membres du Conseil municipal. Nouveau plan : l'église perdait 1m 50 dans sa longueur. D'autre part, il n'y avait plus d'argent pour terminer les travaux et le clocher.

Le 8 Juin 1913, eut lieu la bénédiction de la nouvelle Eglise. Le drapeau de la France flotte au sommet de la vieille tour du château. Quand Mgr Bonnefoy arrive à 9 h, l'Eglise est envahie. A 10 h, il fait son entrée, entouré de nombreux prêtres. Les chants sont exécutés par la schola de Salon : messe en grégorien du Xéme siécle et par les paroissiens. Au milieu d'une foule à genoux , Monsieur le curé apporte le Saint Sacrement dans sa nouvelle demeure. La grand messe commence. Quand vers 12 heures, la foule des fidèles sort, les hommes s'empressent d'entrer dans leur église. L'office du soir sera célébré devant une assistance aussi nombreuse.

Le clocher, carré, en pierre, s'élève haut dans le ciel et présente 4 cloches, une par face dans cette tour coiffée d'un toit plat.

SAINT JULIEN
Saint Julien est né à Vienne, en Dauphiné. Lorsque les décrets impériaux furent déclarés contre les chrétiens, Julien partit se cacher à Brioude où il fut mis à mort en l'an 350. Grégoire de Tours écrit : » Au lieu où le martyr fut frappé, se trouve une fontaine dans laquelle la tête du saint fut lavée , après avoir été tranchée par les persécuteurs. Ses eaux guérissent de nombreuses maladies ».

Lorsque Charles V lui voua son fils, atteint d'hydropisie, l'enfant se trouva vite beaucoup mieux. En remerciement le roi envoya à Brioude le manteau couleur d'azur qui avait servi au prince royal, un béret orné de pierres précieuses, de lys, de dauphins. L’évêque de Clermont fut chargé d'aller les offrir au nom du roi et d'acquitter son vœu. Il arriva à Brioude le 23 Juillet 1370, revêtit lui même, la statue du Saint, des ornements.

En remerciement pour avoir pu revoir son mari incarcéré, une dame espagnole, exaucée, lui fit construire un mausolée. La Basilique de Brioude se dresse au dessus de ce mausolée. La date de la fête de saint Julien ne fut fixée qu'au Vème siècle par Saint Germain , Évêque d'Auxerre (418-448) ; elle sera célébrée le cinq des calendes du septième mois, soit le 28 Août. Après Saint Martin, l'apôtre des Gaules, Saint Julien de Brioude est le plus célébré. En France, plusieurs centaines d'églises lui sont dédiées et plusieurs centaines de communes sont sous son patronage.
EN To replace the ruined parish church in the cemetery, the community bought land next to the castle in 1681 and rebuilt a church 30 m long, 14 m wide and 18 m high. In 1761, there are organs, bell, gallop. In 1889, the church threatened to fall into ruins, its disuse was scheduled for December 20, 1908, it was motivated by the very poor state of the structure. In March 1909, a subscription was opened for repairs; believers and unbelievers alike generously participated in this subscription. So much so that by the end of April, the work was well advanced when the earthquake of 11 June 1909 called everything into question. It was a disaster across the country. Le Petit Marseillais, a local newspaper, writes: "In Eguilles, the church and castle are in very poor condition and the houses are not worth healing better".

The damage was so severe that, in January 1910, the Municipality agreed with the architect and the company to knock down the walls while the population was asleep. The alarm is given by an article in the "Petit Marseillais", signed by a local child: Monsieur Fauchier. Mass will be celebrated in the small chapel of the hospital then in the chapel of Saint Roch, later on in Mr Héckenroth's property in the open air then under a tent rented by the priest. From November 1909 and for 4 years, it will be celebrated in a wooden chapel, built in a corner of Madame Girard's grounds. The weekday mass is celebrated in the hospital chapel where the Blessed Sacrament is kept.

Thanks to a municipal loan and the dedication of the new municipality, as well as the subsidies provided by the Religious Action and the inhabitants of Eguilles, the necessary funds for reconstruction were raised, but the separation law prohibited the mayors from building any religious buildings, it only allowed repairs. This was the form in which the authorization was granted. Work began in April 1912 but two incidents slowed it down: the foundations took over the castle tower, which upset some members of the City Council. New plan: the church was losing 1m 50 in its length. On the other hand, there was no more money to complete the work and the bell tower.
On June 8, 1913, the blessing of the new Church took place. The flag of France flies at the top of the old castle tower. When Bishop Bonnefoy arrived at 9 a.m., the Church was invaded. At 10 a.m., he made his entrance, surrounded by many priests. The songs are performed by the schola of Salon: Gregorian mass of the 10th century and by the parishioners. In the midst of a crowd on their knees, the priest brought the Blessed Sacrament to his new home. The great mass begins. When around 12 noon, the crowd of the faithful leaves, the men hurry to enter their church. The evening service will be celebrated in front of such a large audience.
The square, stone bell tower rises high in the sky and has 4 bells, one per side in this tower with a flat roof.

SAINT JULIEN
Saint Julien was born in Vienna, in the Dauphiné region. When the imperial decrees were declared against the Christians, Julian went into hiding in Brioude where he was put to death in 350 AD. Gregory of Tours wrote: "In the place where the martyr was struck, there is a fountain in which the saint's head was washed, after being cut off by the persecutors. Its waters heal many diseases.
When Charles V dedicated his son, suffering from dropsy, to him, the child quickly found himself much better. In gratitude, the king sent Brioude the blue coat that had served the royal prince, a beret decorated with precious stones, lilies and dolphins. The Bishop of Clermont was asked to offer them in the king's name and to pay his vow. He arrived in Brioude on July 23, 1370, dressed himself, the statue of the Saint, with ornaments.
In gratitude for having been able to see her imprisoned husband again, a Spanish lady, who had been granted, had a mausoleum built for her. The Basilica of Brioude stands above this mausoleum. The date of the feast of Saint Julian was only fixed in the 5th century by Saint Germain, Bishop of Auxerre (418-448); it will be celebrated on the 5th of the calendars of the 7th month, i.e. on August 28th. After Saint Martin, the apostle of the Gauls, Saint Julien de Brioude is the most celebrated. In France, several hundred churches are dedicated to him and several hundred municipalities are under his patronage.


Source : http://paroisse.eguilles.free.fr/index.php/photos/eguilles/histoire-eglise.html
Year it was dedicated: 1681

Location of Coordinates: Church entrance

Related Web address (if available): [Web Link]

Type of place/structure you are waymarking: Church

Visit Instructions:
  • Please post a comment and photo.
  • A "visited" only remark will be deleted.
  • A "visited" remark by the 'Waymark Owner' at the time of posting is not appreciated and won't be accepted. If visiting at another time a "Visit" would be acceptable.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest People-Named Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.