Tobyhanna State Park - Tobyhanna, PA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Janila
N 41° 12.442 W 075° 23.786
18T E 466764 N 4561852
Quick Description: Tobyhanna State Park crosses the borders of two counties, Wayne and Monroe in northeastern PA.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 10/4/2018 12:29:59 PM
Waymark Code: WMZ9NC
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member the federation
Views: 0

Long Description:
From Tobyhanna State Park's website (visit link) :

"The landscape of the area is of broad, flat, swampy areas intermixed with low hills covered with a northern hardwood forest. Common tree species are beech, birch, and maple. This landscape affected the settlement and industries of the area.

From about 1900 to 1936, Tobyhanna and Gouldsboro lakes were the site of active ice industries. The ice was cut from the lakes during the winter and stored in large barn-like structures. During the rest of the year, the ice was added to railroad boxcars hauling fresh produce and meats destined for East Coast cities.

Boxcar loads of ice were also shipped to cities for use in family iceboxes (early refrigerators). During the summer when ice usage peaked, up to 150 boxcar loads per day shipped out of the Tobyhanna, Gouldsboro, and Klondike (near Gouldsboro) plants. Some ice was even shipped to Florida for use in hospitals.

In 1912, the federal government acquired the land that became the Tobyhanna Military Reservation. During World War I, (1914-1918), the Army used the reservation as a tank and ambulance corps training center and the National Guard used it as an artillery-training center.

From 1918 to 1931, the reservation was used for artillery training.

During the early 1930s, the reservation housed Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees.

From 1937 to 1941, the reservation served as an artillery training center for West Point cadets. During World War II, the reservation housed German prisoners-of-war. From 1946 to 1948, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers used the reservation.

During 1948, the War Assets Administration took control of the property, and in April of 1949, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania received title to most of the 26,000 acres, with the remaining area operated as the Tobyhanna Army Depot.

Of the land acquired, about two-thirds of the area was made into Game Lands 127, and the remaining one-third was used to create both Gouldsboro and Tobyhanna state parks.

Tobyhanna State Park opened to the public in 1949, complete with parking areas, swimming beach, boat rental and boat launching site, water supply, and sanitary facilities. The camping area was added in 1959.

The former Department of Forests and Waters (DFW) subsequently acquired additional properties, and during 1956, the former Pennsylvania Fish Commission (PFC) purchased Gouldsboro Lake and land not included in the larger government tract.

During 1958, the DFW and the PFC agreed to combine the area owned by both agencies into a single recreational site. Gouldsboro State Park opened to the public in 1958."
Name of Park, Protected Area, or Cultural Location: Tobyhanna State Park

Name of System or Passport Program: Pennsylvania State Parks

Passport Available: Yes, for purchase

Parking or Entrance Fee: 0

Park Website: [Web Link]

Address of Station:
114 Campground Road
Tobyhanna, PA USA
18466


Visit Instructions:
No special instructions, but a picture of yourself or of something unique to that place would be a nice touch.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest State Park Passport Locations
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.