By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Abbaye de Grandpré - Namur - Belgique
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member PaulLassiter
N 50° 25.132 E 005° 01.039
31U E 643309 N 5587149
Quick Description: Grandpré Abbey was located in Faulx-les-Tombes, in the province of Namur in Belgium. From the old Cistercian abbey there remains only the lovely entrance gate, the farm buildings and the mill. The domain is crossed by the Samson river.
Location: Namur, Belgium
Date Posted: 9/17/2018 10:24:27 AM
Waymark Code: WMZ6AZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 3

Long Description:
[FR]

Grandpré vit le jour à la suite d'un vœu émis, avant de partir en croisade contre les Albigeois, par le comte et marquis de Namur, Philippe II de Courtenay. Décédé en 1228, il fut inhumé en l'abbaye de Vaucelles. Sa sœur Marguerite, épouse de Henri de Vianden, se chargea d'exécuter le vœu de son frère. Selon toute vraisemblance, elle dut prendre un contact préalable avec l'abbé de Villers, Guillaume de Bruxelles (1221-1237). En effet, suite à la demande de la comtesse de fonder une abbaye cistercienne dans le Namurois, le chapitre de Cîteaux de 1230 chargea les abbés de Cambron et d'Aulne d'aller se rendre compte sur place si le lieu proposé et les circonstances en permettaient l'érection. Dans l'affirmative, ils devaient ordonner à Villers de l'autorité du chapitre général, d'y envoyer une communauté.

Depuis les abbatiats de Guillaume (1189-1197) et de Charles de Seyne (1197-1209), Villers avait acquis régulièrement des terres dans le Namurois. L'abbaye y possédait entre autres les granges de Grandpré, Tronquoy et Borsu.

Les pourparlers entre Villers et la comtesse Marguerite se concrétisèrent par un accord signé le 1er août 123l. Il décrivait l'échange des terres et des biens entre les deux parties. Villers cédait ses possessions, sises au-delà de la Meuse près de Tronquoy, Borsu et Grandpré avec leurs dépendances, de même que ses propriétés entre Dinant et Huy. En contrepartie les moines villersois recevaient quatre cents bonniers consistant en soixante et onze bonniers moins un journal près d'Ostin.  Les biens provenant de l'abbaye de Villers furent donnés à la nouvelle communauté, composée de douze moines sous la conduite de l'abbé Jean. 

C'est ainsi que,le 15 août 1231, la nouvelle abbaye sous le patronage de Notre-Dame, voit le jour. Et l'année suivante, l'Evêque de Liège, Jean d'Aps, procède à la consécration de l'église abbatiale.

L'abbaye, affiliée de l'abbaye de Villers-la-Ville, rayonnera durant 5 siècles et demi jusqu'à sa fermeture à la révolution française. 

Maintenant il subsiste un splendide porche classique et des imposants bâtiments de la ferme avec corps de logis de deux niveaux.

[EN]

Grandpré was born after a vow issued, before going on a crusade against the Albigenses, by the Count and Marquis of Namur, Philip II of Courtenay. Died in 1228, he was buried in the abbey of Vaucelles. His sister Marguerite, wife of Henry of Vianden, undertook to execute the wish of his brother. In all likelihood, she had to make a preliminary contact with the abbot of Villers, Guillaume de Bruxelles (1221-1237). Indeed, following the countess's request to found a Cistercian abbey in Namur, the chapter of Cîteaux of 1230 commissioned the abbots of Cambron and Aulne to go to the spot to see if the proposed place and the circumstances in allowed erection. If so, they should order Villers the authority of the general chapter, to send a community there.

Since the abbots of William (1189-1197) and Charles de Seyne (1197-1209), Villers had regularly acquired land in Namur. The abbey owned among others the barns of Grandpré, Tronquoy and Borsu.

The negotiations between Villers and the Countess Marguerite were concretized by an agreement signed on August 1, 123l. He described the exchange of land and property between the two parties. Villers gave up his possessions, located beyond the Meuse near Tronquoy, Borsu and Grandpré with their dependencies, as well as its properties between Dinant and Huy. In return, the villager monks received four hundred bishops, consisting of seventy-one burgers minus a newspaper near Ostin. Property from Villers Abbey was donated to the new community of twelve monks under the leadership of Father Jean.

Thus, on August 15, 1231, the new abbey under the patronage of Notre Dame, was born. And the following year, the Bishop of Liège, Jean d'Aps, proceeded to the consecration of the abbey church.

The abbey, affiliated to the abbey of Villers-la-Ville, will shine during 5 centuries and half until its closure to the French revolution.

Now there is a splendid classical porch and imposing farm buildings with two-storey main building.

Source:

https://www.abbayedegrandpre.be/

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbaye_de_Grandpré


Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: L'abbaye Notre-Dame de Grandpré

Address:
Rue de l'abbaye
Gesves, Belgique
5340


Religious affiliation: abbey of Villers-la-Ville

Date founded/constructed: 1231

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Converted to Other Use

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.