By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Frame Depot - Washington, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 33.715 W 091° 00.800
15S E 673092 N 4270035
Quick Description: Built in 1865, replaced the one destroyed by Confederates during the Civil War. The street and train tracks were also moved when new depot constructed.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 8/19/2018 4:31:17 AM
Waymark Code: WMZ084
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member 8Nuts MotherGoose
Views: 1

Long Description:

County of building: Franklin County
Original Location: W. Front St., between Elm St & Lafayette St.
Current Location W. Front St., foot of Cedar St
Built: 1865
Moved: 1923-24

The frame depot, used for both passenger and freight was built in 1865. It had separate waiting rooms for women and men. It sat where the street is now [W Front St.] just E. of the foot of Elm St.,
When moved to present location, it was transported by rolling the building on logs. It was then converted for freight depot use only
The street was made through, and train trains moved toward the river for a different straight route through town.


"The previous passenger depot, of wooden frame construction built by the Pacific Railroad in 1865, was moved on log rollers to make way for this current passenger depot. This older building was completed to replace the original station from 1855, which had been burnt in General Sterling Price’s raid during the Civil War. Now sitting next door to the passenger station, it has been used as a freight depot since its move in the 1920s. Some say it is the oldest standing wooden railroad depot west of the Mississippi River." ~ The Great American Train Stations


"In 1865 the present frame depot was constructed just west of the foot of Elm Street. The frame Missouri Pacific depot served for 58 years as Washington's transportation center, from the close of the Civil War until it was replaced by a the more modern brick depot in 1923. The frame depot had separate waiting rooms for men and women in one half of the building and handled baggage and freight in the other half.

"At the time the Missouri Pacific began construction on the brick depot, the frame depot was relocated from its site at the west edge of Elm Street to its present location at the foot of Cedar Street on the north side of Front Street. The building was then converted for use as the freight depot." ~ Washington Historic Preservation Society

Original Location: N 38° 33.672 W 091° 00.725

How it was moved: Other

Type of move: Inside City

Building Status: Public

Related Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Tell of your visit. Post an original photograph if possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Relocated Structures
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.