St. Andrews Episcopal Church - Chelan, WA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 47° 50.390 W 120° 01.105
10T E 723090 N 5302802
Quick Description: One of two log churches in this corner of Washington, this one has been declared a National Historic Place.
Location: Washington, United States
Date Posted: 7/11/2018 1:30:36 PM
Waymark Code: WMYQG1
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member NW_history_buff
Views: 0

Long Description:
Land for St. Andrews was purchased in 1894 and logs began to be harvested for the church not long after but actual assembly of the church was delayed until about July of 1897. The first service was held in the church on January 22, 1899, when the building was essentially compete.

Built (assembled) of large fir logs, St. Andrews is the oldest church in the Chelan Valley and oldest remaining building in Chelan. The logs were sorted, with the largest at the bottom, diminishing in size up the walls. Also, the logs were milled to fit very tightly, eliminating the need for chinking. With a steeply pitched gable roof, the original section of the church consisted only of the rectangular sanctuary and the massive steeple/bell tower which extends from its northwest corner. The hip roofed tower is vertically divided into entrance in the bottom half and belfry in the top half. The belfry has large, uncovered openings all around and a single bell inside.

Since its construction, a breezeway roof has been added to the west side of the sanctuary and a church hall has been added at the rear, south, end of the sanctuary.

The following marker is affixed to the front wall of the steeple/bell tower/entrance, immediately left of the double doors. It appears to have been jointly placed by the Historic Downtown Chelan Association and the Lake Chelan Historical Society.

St. Andrew's Episcopal Church

Chelan's log church was built in 1898 when Washington was still a territory. The logs for the church were cut uplake and rafted to Chelan. It was a missionary church of the Episcopal Diocese of Spokane, and its pastors served other congregations in the area, often traveling on horseback to the areas of Brewster, Winthrop and Twisp.

The first service was held Christmas Eve in 1898, which makes St. Andrew's Episcopal Church the oldest structure in Chelan.

HISTORIC DOWNTOWN CHELAN ASSOC.
LAKE CHELAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY

St. Andrew's Church, built over 110 years ago, is located in the town of Chelan at the southern end of 55 mile long Lake Chelan. The oldest permanent structure in the town, the church became a place around which the community grew to eventually become a city of around 4000 residents. Now on the National Register of Historic Places, the log church attracts many visitors from near and far and chimes from its bell tower can be heard throughout the area.
From St. Andrews

St. Andrews Episcopal Church

Built between 1897-1899, St. Andrews Episcopal Church in Chelan is a rustic log structure built in the Arts and Crafts tradition. Located in the heart of Chelan on Woodin Avenue, the building is constructed of Douglas fir logs that have been milled on the top and bottom and precisely notched to form a tight fit, making chinking and other fillers unnecessary. Logs for the church are graded in size so that those of larger diameter are near the base of the building with smaller logs near the top. Base logs also project out further at the corners giving the building a firm, grounded appearance. The church is stained a rustic brown color. The building rests on a foundation made of local granite.

St. Andrews Episcopal Church is thought to be the oldest log structure in the State of Washington to be in continuous use for worship services by a single congregation. Its significance for the National Register lies primarily in its unique architectural quality and its design by Kirtland Cutter and Karl Mahngren, prominent Northwest architects of the period... ...Most likely the oldest remaining building in Chelan, St. Andrews Church is the oldest church in the Chelan Valley. It predates the "Little Stone Church" in the nearby community of Lakeside by five years. This stone church may actually have derived some of its rustic characteristics from St. Andrews.

It was not until after the arrival of Chelan's first resident pastor, the Rev. Willard H. Roots in July 1897, that work began in earnest on assembling the log church...

A November 18, 1898 newspaper article states that the building was assuming proportions that proved the wisdom of the idea of a "unique log church" in Chelan. It further states that framing of the roof timbers would begin that week. According to the article, "The house promises to be a thing of beauty and joy forever,' and we hope it may also prove a rest-place to many a world-weary pilgrim on the way to the heavenly mansions."...

Because seating and other arrangements were not available by the end of 1898, the first services in St. Andrews were actually held on January 22, 1899, under the direction of the Rev. Roots. The bell tower and other finishing touches were not competed until later. A photograph taken in 1900 shows the building much as it appears today.
From the NRHP Continuation Sheet


Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

Marker Name: St. Andrew's Episcopal Church

Marker Type: City

Town name: Chelan

Placer: Historic Downtown Chelan Association - Lake Chelan Historical Society

Related website: [Web Link]

Date marker was placed: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

A description of your visit, and more pictures would be great!

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Washington Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.