By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

St Saviour's Pro-Cathedral Organ - Nelson, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member BK-Hunters
N 49° 29.417 W 117° 17.526
11U E 478845 N 5482001
Quick Description: This magnificently appointed pro-cathedral is at 701 Ward Street, barely two blocks above downtown Nelson.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 7/8/2018 6:32:22 PM
Waymark Code: WMYPY7
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Team GPSaxophone
Views: 0

Long Description:
Opened in 1898, the church served as the Cathedral of the Diocese of Kootenay from 1900 until the 1960s. Since that time it has been known as a pro-cathedral.

In January of 1928 the interior of the cathedral was gutted by fire and rebuilt immediately, with the aid of insurance money and many donations. Many of the present memorial stained glass windows were donated at this time, as was the organ, replacing the one destroyed in the fire. At the front of the sanctuary and in the chancel is where one will find the church's 1928 pipe organ. Though not especially large, the organ has large beautifully finished pipes visible from the sanctuary, with a smaller set tucked in the little southwest transept. Under the larger set of pipes is a brass plaque dedicating the organ in memory of Le Baron De Veber. Oddly, neither the church, the Anglicans, nor the city of Nelson has anything to say about Le Baron.

Since we're in a church, we have a confession to make. We originally Waymarked this Pro-Cathedral early in 2013, five years ago, and somehow neglected to take pix of the organ and the guest book. Since that time, every time we have visited Nelson we drove by the church, hoping to find it open so we could get those last pix (and our 37th and 38th Waymarks in the church). Last Friday, July 5th, we had success, as the church was having an open house.

The cathedral, designed by architect George D. Curtis, is an excellent example of "Gothic Perpendicular" church architecture. Built of stone with a wood rafter ceiling and wood interior appointments, the cathedral is a standout among the many churches of Nelson. It is probably the most impressive religious building in the city and possesses a total of seventeen stained glass windows, all donated as personal memorials.

A bit of the church's history follows.

Celebrating 125 Years of Ministry in the West Kootenays

July 12, 1892 - July 12, 2017

This July, concurrent with Canada’s 150 Anniversary, Kootenay Anglicans will celebrate the 125th Anniversary of the founding of the Parish of Kootenay, now Kokanee, and the opening of the first Anglican Church buildings for public worship in both Nelson and Balfour. By the turn of the 20th century, St.Saviour’s Pro-Cathedral was probably the dominant church in Nelson but it’s beginnings during the previous decade were more humble.

In 1890, Bishop A.W. Sillitoe of New Westminster, accompanied by his wife Violet, had paid a visit to the settlement of Nelson, riding on horseback from Sproat’s Landing over a trail which Mrs. Sillitoe described as very rough and difficult. The journey took ten hours to cover a distance of 28 miles. The July 19, 1890 Miner announced that “Church of England services will be held tomorrow, Sunday July 20, in Topping’s building, Baker Street, at 10:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. The Bishop of New Westminster will officiate.” The Bishop later referred to the congregations on that Sunday as “excellent in the morning” and “overflowing in the evening!” The Bishop’s wife played the organ which had been borrowed from a local saloon...

...Rev. Reid was succeeded in 1893 by Rev. H.S. Akehurst who, in 1896, spearheaded steps for the construction of a more permanent church in Nelson, with the cornerstone of today’s St. Saviour's being laid with full Masonic Honours in August 1898. The Church was built over the following year from a design by architect Edward Curtis, who concurrently designed Nelson’s Catholic Cathedral of Mary Immaculate. Architecturally the stone and wood-frame gable-roofed building is described as an excellent example of Gothic Perpendicular church architecture and a quintessential English parish church.
From the Anglican Parish of Kokanee


Photo goes Here

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Musical Instruments
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.