By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Four Canons - La Batería de Santa Bárbara - Santa Cruz de Tenerife - Spain
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Iris & Harry
N 28° 25.105 W 016° 32.975
28R E 348223 N 3144531
Quick Description: Two iron and two bronze cannons at the fortification
Location: Islas Canarias, Spain
Date Posted: 7/7/2018 5:11:54 AM
Waymark Code: WMYPEW
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member NCDaywalker
Views: 1

Long Description:
The sign at the wall says:

Los canones que adornan esta Plaza fueron cedidos en calidad de deposito ayunatamiento del puerto de la Cruz por el ministerio de defensa y la zona militar of Canarias diciembre de 1992

EN (Translation)
The canons that adorn this square were ceded as a deposit for the fasting of the port of the Cross by the Ministry of Defence and the military zone of the Canary Islands in December 1992.


Source: (visit link)

"La Batería de Santa Bárbara es una fortificación defensiva que se halla anexa a la Casa de la Real Aduana, en la Plaza de Europa, frente del Ayuntamiento y de la Casa Miranda .
Fue mandada construir para defender el Puerto Viejo de los posibles ataques de piratas y corsarios.
Destacan la colección de cañones de los siglos XVIII y XIX cedidos por el Ministerio de Defensa el año 1992, en memoria los que en su día hubo (eran cuatro, dos de hierro y dos de bronce, con los escudos de armas de Portugal y Holanda, ya que provenían de un buque holandés).

Construida en el siglo XVIII a través de un proyecto de Jerónimo Mines y a partir de una de las primeras plataformas artilladas que había hecho la familia Franchy en el siglo XVIII . Según recoge José María Pinto de la Rosa en su libro 'Fortificaciones canarias', el Cabildo de la Isla acordó a finales del siglo XVI la construcción de un muelle en el Puerto de La Orotava, pero no dio comienzo la obra hasta los años 1641 a 1650. El autor del plano fue el ingeniero Gerónimo Mines y consistía en un muelle semicircular con escalerilla, donde años después se construyó la batería de Santa Bárbara, que defendía las embarcaciones que llegaban a puerto. La ciudad, como consecuencia de su importancia y prosperidad, contó además por ese entonces con otras tres fortificaciones: el Castillo de San Felipe, el fortín de San Telmo y la batería de San Carlos. Esta última estaba situada en la playa de Martiánez y fue arrasada por el aluvión que provocó el temporal de 1826.
La parte del muelle donde se edificó la batería de Santa Bárbara se construyó en 1741. Dirigió las obras el ingeniero Riviere. Era muy parecida a la batería de San Telmo: tenía un muro empalizada, una garita, casilla-polvorín y estaba artillada con 2 cañones de hierro y dos de bronce, todos del calibre 12. Tenía además -y tiene- una escalerilla de piedra que conducía hasta el mar. En 1817 José Cullen añadió un trazo de muralla para que sirviera de resguardo a su propia casa."

EN (Translation):
"The Battery of Santa Bárbara is a defensive fortification annexed to the Casa de la Real Aduana, in the Plaza de Europa, in front of the Town Hall and the Casa Miranda.
It was ordered to be built to defend the Old Port from possible attacks by pirates and corsairs.
The collection of 18th and 19th century cannons donated by the Ministry of Defence in 1992 stands out, in memory of those that once existed (there were four, two made of iron and two made of bronze, with the coats of arms of Portugal and Holland, as they came from a Dutch ship).

Built in the 18th century through a project by Jerónimo Mines and from one of the first artillery platforms made by the Franchy family in the 18th century. According to José María Pinto de la Rosa in his book `Canary Fortifications', the Island Council agreed at the end of the 16th century to build a wharf in the Port of La Orotava, but work did not begin until 1641 to 1650. The author of the plan was the engineer Gerónimo Mines and consisted of a semicircular dock with a ladder, where years later the Santa Bárbara battery was built, which defended the ships that arrived in port. The city, as a consequence of its importance and prosperity, also had three other fortifications: the Castle of San Felipe, the fort of San Telmo and the battery of San Carlos. The latter was located on the beach of Martiánez and was washed away by the storm of 1826.
The part of the pier where the Santa Barbara battery was built was built in 1741. The works were directed by the engineer Riviere. It was very similar to the battery of San Telmo: it had a palisade wall, a sentry box, a powder keg, and it was armed with two iron and two bronze cannons, all 12 caliber. It also had - and has - a stone staircase that led to the sea. In 1817 Joseph Cullen added a line of wall to serve as a shelter for his own house."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Where is this artillery located?: Monument grounds

Artillery is no longer operational: yes

Still may work: no

What type of artillery is this?: Not listed

What military of the world used this device?: Not listed

Date artillery was in use: Not listed

Date artillery was placed on display: Not listed

Parking location to view this Waymark: Not Listed

Cost?: Not Listed

Are there any geocaches at this location?: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Two pictures are required for this Waymark. Please take a close up picture of the artillery. Take a second with the artillery in the distance and capture as much of the surroundings as possible. Name the Waymark with first the name of the area and second what the artillery is. An example would be if it were a cannon in front of the Montgomery Armory you would name the Waymark: Montgomery Armory Cannon.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Static Artillery Displays
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.