By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Castle Montabaur - 959 up to 2011 - Montabaur - Rheinland-Pfalz / Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Iris & Harry
N 50° 26.320 E 007° 49.637
32U E 416723 N 5588061
Quick Description: Timeline describe the history of the Castle Montabaur in german language.
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
Date Posted: 7/6/2018 3:10:07 AM
Waymark Code: WMYP5R
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member MountainWoods
Views: 1

Long Description:
Located behind the entrance of the castle you will find two signs mounted at the wall. One if them shows a map of the castle with info where to find what. The other Sign shows the timeline which describe the history of the Castle Montabaur in german language.

Seite „Schloss Montabaur“. In: Wikipedia, Die freie Enzyklopädie. Bearbeitungsstand: 12. April 2018, 20:44 UTC. URL: (visit link) (Abgerufen: 6. Juli 2018, 07:32 UTC)

"Das barocke Schloss Montabaur ist das Wahrzeichen der Stadt Montabaur im Westerwald. Es steht gut sichtbar in dessen Mitte auf dem Schlossberg auf einer Höhe von 321 Metern über NN und dient heute als Schulungs- und Tagungszentrum der Akademie Deutscher Genossenschaften.

Beschreibung

Das Schloss besteht aus einer Vorburg und einem zweigeschossigen Hauptgebäude, das mit seinen vier Gebäudeflügeln einen fast quadratischen Innenhof umschließt. An den Ecken besitzt es dreigeschossige Rundtürme, die eine flache, geschwungene Haube als Dach besitzen. Sein mittelalterlicher Bergfried ist 33 Meter hoch. Hofseitig treten drei Treppentürme aus der gelb gestrichenen Fassade.

Zur Schlossanlage gehören noch einige Einzelgebäude, darunter der im Barock umgestaltete Zwinger, der Marstall aus dem Jahr 1720 und der äußere Torbau mit der Jahreszahl 1588.
Geschichte

Die Geschichte des Schlosses geht bis in das 10. Jahrhundert zurück. 959 fand ein „Castellum Humbacense“ als Wohnsitz des Herzogs Hermann von Schwaben erstmals urkundlich Erwähnung. Kaiser Heinrich II. übertrug die damalige Burg samt der dazugehörigen Grundherrschaft im Jahr 1018 auf den Trierer Erzbischof Poppo von Babenberg und damit auf das Erzbistum Trier. Erzbischof Theoderich von Wied ließ sie zur Sicherung der rechtsrheinischen Gebiete seines Bistums befestigen, konnte aber nicht verhindern, dass die Burg 1212 durch den Grafen von Nassau angegriffen und zerstört wurde. Inspiriert durch den Berg Tabor in Israel, ließ Theoderich die Anlage 1217 wieder aufbauen und nannte den Burghügel „Mons Tabor“, woraus sich das spätere „Montabaur“ entwickelte. Unter diesem Namen ist die Anlage 1227 erstmals urkundlich erwähnt.

Die Burg wurde nachfolgend von einem Burghauptmann verwaltet. Sie diente zugleich als Amts- und Wohnsitz von bischöflichen Amtmännern und wurde durch Burgmannen bewacht. Um 1400 betrug deren Anzahl 53. In der Zeit um 1280 wurde der Bergfried der Anlage errichtet, aber um 1520 erfolgte der Umbau des mittelalterlichen Wehrbaus zu einem vierflügeligen Renaissanceschloss, dessen Kernsubstanz bis in die heutige Zeit überdauert hat. Zuvor hatte Kaiser Maximilian 1505 mit 500 Personen im Gefolge in der Burg übernachtet.

Sein heutiges Erscheinungsbild erhielt das Schloss in den Jahren von 1687 bis 1709, als Kurfürst Johann Hugo von Orsbeck es von seinem Hofbaumeister Johann Christoph Sebastiani im Stil des Barocks umgestalten ließ. Die Deckenmalerei stammt von Lazaro Maria Sanguinetti. Sie stellt Allegorien des Lichtes und Personifikationen der vier Elemente Luft, Erde, Feuer und Wasser dar. Die Anlage diente noch bis zum Ende des 18. Jahrhunderts als Residenz der Trierer Erzbischöfe, ehe der letzte Kurfürst Clemens Wenzeslaus von Sachsen 1794 vor französischen Revolutionsheeren flüchtete und der Kurstaat 1801 aufgehoben wurde. Die ehemaligen Trierer Besitzungen – und damit auch das Schloss Montabaur – fielen an das Herzogtum Nassau-Weilburg. Die Herzöge von Nassau nutzten die Anlage nachfolgend als Jagdschloss.

Ab 1851 waren die Gebäude bis 1880 Sitz des herzoglich-nassauischen Simultanschullehrerseminars. Ab 1868 dienten sie zugleich als Sitz des Landratsamtes und bis 1945 auch als Wohnung des Landrats des Unterwesterwaldkreises. Nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg wurde das Schloss von 1946 an als Verwaltungssitz des Regierungsbezirks Montabaur genutzt.

Im Jahr 1969 erwarb die Deutsche Genossenschaftskasse die Anlage, die anschließend durch das Schulze-Delitzsch-Institut und die Bundesgenossenschaftsschule Raiffeisen e.V. genutzt wurde. Nach dem Zusammenschluss beider Institute 1978 zur Akademie Deutscher Genossenschaften kaufte diese das Schloss und wandelte es in ein Seminar- und Tagungszentrum um.
Aktuelle Nutzung
Seit 1970 dient Schloss Montabaur als bundesweites Zentrum für die Managementqualifizierung von angehenden und aktuellen Führungskräften der Genossenschaftsbanken sowie der genossenschaftlichen Waren-, Handels- und Dienstleistungsgenossenschaften. Außerdem betreibt die Akademie Deutscher Genossenschaften dort ein Vier-Sterne-Hotel mit rund 300 Zimmern. Mit über 70.000 Übernachtungen zählt Schloss Montabaur zu den größten Hotelbetrieben in Rheinland-Pfalz. "

EN (Translation):

"The baroque castle Montabaur is the landmark of the city Montabaur in the Westerwald. It stands clearly visible in its centre on the Schlossberg at an altitude of 321 metres above sea level and today serves as a training and conference centre of the Academy of German Cooperatives.

delineation

The castle consists of an outer castle and a two-storey main building, which with its four wings surrounds an almost square inner courtyard. At the corners it has three-storey round towers with a flat, curved hood as a roof. Its medieval keep is 33 metres high. On the courtyard side, three stair towers step out of the yellow painted facade.

The castle complex still includes several individual buildings, including the Baroque redesigned kennel, the Marstall from 1720 and the outer gate building with the year 1588.

narrative

The history of the castle goes back to the 10th century. 959 a "Castellum Humbacense" was first mentioned in a document as the residence of Duke Hermann von Schwaben. In 1018, Emperor Henry II transferred the castle and its estate to Archbishop Poppo von Babenberg of Trier and thus to the Archdiocese of Trier. Archbishop Theoderich von Wied had it fortified to secure the right bank of the Rhine in his diocese, but could not prevent the castle from being attacked and destroyed by the Count of Nassau in 1212. Inspired by Mount Tabor in Israel, Theoderich had the castle rebuilt in 1217 and named the castle hill "Mons Tabor", from which the later "Montabaur" developed. It was first mentioned in a document under this name in 1227.

The castle was subsequently administered by a governor. At the same time it served as the official and residence of episcopal officials and was guarded by burgmen. The keep of the complex was built around 1280, but around 1520 the medieval fortified building was converted into a four-wing Renaissance castle, the core substance of which has survived to the present day. Before that, Emperor Maximilian had stayed overnight with 500 people in the castle in 1505.

The castle received its present appearance from 1687 to 1709, when Elector Johann Hugo von Orsbeck had it redesigned by his court architect Johann Christoph Sebastiani in baroque style. The ceiling painting is by Lazaro Maria Sanguinetti. It depicts allegories of light and personifications of the four elements air, earth, fire and water. The complex served as the residence of the Trier archbishops until the end of the 18th century, before the last Elector Clemens Wenzeslaus of Saxony fled from French revolutionary armies in 1794 and the Electorate was abolished in 1801. The former Trier possessions - and thus also Montabaur Castle - fell to the Duchy of Nassau-Weilburg. The Dukes of Nassau subsequently used the castle as a hunting lodge.

From 1851 the buildings were the seat of the ducal Nassau simultaneous school teacher training college until 1880. From 1868 they served as the seat of the district administration and until 1945 also as the residence of the district administrator of the Unterwesterwald district. After the Second World War, the castle was used from 1946 onwards as the administrative seat of the Montabaur administrative district.

In 1969, the Deutsche Genossenschaftskasse acquired the plant, which was subsequently used by the Schulze-Delitzsch-Institut and the Bundesgenossenschaftsschule Raiffeisen e.V.. After the merger of the two institutes in 1978 to form the Academy of German Cooperatives, it bought the castle and transformed it into a seminar and conference centre.
Current usage
Since 1970, Schloss Montabaur has served as a nationwide centre for the management qualification of prospective and current managers of cooperative banks and cooperative goods, trade and service cooperatives. The Academy of German Cooperatives also operates a four-star hotel with around 300 rooms there. With over 70,000 overnight stays, Schloss Montabaur is one of the largest hotels in Rhineland-Palatinate. "

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Admission fee? (Include URL/link in Long Description to website that gives the current fee): no

Visit Instructions:

At least one good photo you have personally obtained and a brief story of your visit. Any additions or corrections to the information about the Waymark (for instance, have the hours open to the public changed) will be greatly appreciated.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Timelines
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.