O.C. Knemeyer Building - Downtown Waterville Historic District - Waterville, WA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 47° 38.849 W 120° 04.371
10T E 719826 N 5281273
Quick Description: Initially a post office and pool hall, one could reasonably assume this building to have been the busiest in town when built.
Location: Washington, United States
Date Posted: 6/18/2018 3:01:02 PM
Waymark Code: WMYHZY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:
The Downtown Waterville Historic District encompasses all of one block of Locust Street plus the west end of a second block and a few buildings along North and South Chelan Avenue. In all there are 17 contributing and 2 non contributing buildings in the district. All buildings are of brick, save for the Centennial Feed Building, a single storey wood framed building on the west side of North Chelan. The brick for the district was manufactured locally in brick yards, first established in 1889. The oldest structure in the district, on the northeast corner of Locust Street and Chelan Avenue, is the First National Bank/Kincaid/IOOF Block, constructed in 1891.

The town of Waterville must have been in desperate need of either a pool hall or a new post office in 1914, as this building was completed by contractor E. Pfuller in 60 days for owner O.E. Knemeyer. The building marks the western edge of the Downtown Waterville Historic District. If further construction ever took place to the west on this block, it no longer exists.

While still in reasonable condition, the brickwork shows substantial weathering. Both bays of the two bay building have been substantially altered. Today the western half of the building is occupied by a restaurant and lounge/bar, Knemeyers Eatery & Spirits, operated by two local sisters. The sign on the eastern half reads "Two Tipsy Sisters", indicating it to be the office for the sisters. They have chosen to use the original name of the building, Knemeyer in the name of their eatery.

O.C. Knemeyer Building

Building #14; O.C. Knemeyer Building

Address: 115-115 1/2 West Locust Street
Classification: Contributing
Date of construction: 1914

Description and History: The Knemeyer Building is a one story brick structure with two storefront bays; it measures 42 feet across the facade and 70 feet deep. The bays are framed by brick piers which rise to a corbelled cornice. The frieze above the storefronts is decorated with recessed panels. Although some original storefront material has been lost, part of the original transom windows are still visible.

O.E. Knemeyer was a prominent Waterville merchant who served on the city council in the early 20th century. In 1914, he had this block constructed by E. Pfuller and the structure was completed within 60 days. Initially, the building housed the post office and the Frank and Frank Billiard Hall.
From the NRHP Registration Form


Photo goes Here

Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Downtown Waterville Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
115-115½ West Locust Street Waterville, WA United States 98858


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.