Cooper Block - Downtown Waterville Historic District - Waterville, WA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 47° 38.848 W 120° 04.322
10T E 719888 N 5281273
Quick Description: This is the second, and the largest, of three adjacent brick buildings to be built in the district on the north side of Locust Street in 1902-03.
Location: Washington, United States
Date Posted: 6/17/2018 4:51:47 PM
Waymark Code: WMYHPQ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:
The Downtown Waterville Historic District encompasses all of one block of Locust Street plus the west end of a second block and a few buildings along North and South Chelan Avenue. In all there are 17 contributing and 2 non contributing buildings in the district. All buildings are of brick, save for the Centennial Feed Building, a single storey wood framed building on the west side of North Chelan. The brick for the district was manufactured locally in brick yards, first established in 1889. The oldest structure in the district, on the northeast corner of Locust Street and Chelan Avenue, is the First National Bank/Kincaid/IOOF Block, constructed in 1891.

Built at the same time as the two one storey buildings on either side, this two storey building shares important decorative touches with the two, including the brick corbeling, the highly detailed metal cornices and the large ball finials at each corner. While somewhat original, the facade has undergone alterations on the ground floor, though the original recessed entries remain, as do some of the iron lintels and columns.

Today the upper storey holds apartments, as, we suspect, it always has, while, on the ground floor once were two retail businesses, a drug store, floral and liquor store in the west half and an unnamed hardware store in the east side. Today it appears that the ground floor is vacant, being used to display antiquities.

Cooper Block

Building #9: Cooper Block

Address: 105-105 1/2 West Locust Street
Classification: Contributing
Date of Construction: 1903

Description: One of the largest buildings in the district, the Cooper Block is a two story brick structure with ground floor storefront bays and upper level offices. The storefronts still retain some original features including iron lintels and columns, the original configuration (with recessed central entry), and mezzanine windows (now partially obscured). A brick string course runs along the top of the first floor and a brick sill course runs beneath the second floor windows. The windows are tall and narrow with segmental arch hoods and original double-hung, one-over-one wood sash. A central stairwell (outlined by brick piers) separates the storefronts and provides access to the upper story. The building is crowned by a decorative metal cornice with brackets and finials.

History: Although Dr. Cooper died before completion of the block, R.E. Steiner oversaw construction of the imposing two story mercantile establishment (constructed simultaneously with its neighbors). The eastern bay was a general store, the western bay a drug store.
From the NRHP Registration Form


Photo goes Here

Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Downtown Waterville Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
105-105 1/2 West Locust Street Waterville, WA United States 98858


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.