Rogers and Howe Building and Annex - Downtown Waterville Historic District - Waterville, WA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 47° 38.850 W 120° 04.308
10T E 719905 N 5281276
Quick Description: The Rogers and Howe mercantile store was one of three adjacent brick buildings to be built in the district on the north side of Locust Street in 1902-03.
Location: Washington, United States
Date Posted: 6/17/2018 2:55:32 PM
Waymark Code: WMYHNZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:
The Downtown Waterville Historic District encompasses all of one block of Locust Street plus the west end of a second block and a few buildings along North and South Chelan Avenue. In all there are 17 contributing and 2 non contributing buildings in the district. All buildings are of brick, save for the Centennial Feed Building, a single storey wood framed building on the west side of North Chelan. The brick for the district was manufactured locally in brick yards, first established in 1889. The oldest structure in the district, on the northeast corner of Locust Street and Chelan Avenue, is the First National Bank/Kincaid/IOOF Block, constructed in 1891.

The Douglas County Bank, the last bank constructed in the district, went up in 1910. This, the Rogers and Howe Building (and Annex) were built on the west (and north) side of that building, but in 1903. We might assume that an older, wood framed structure, stood on the bank's lot in 1903. A more likely scenario has Rogers and Howe in discussions with the Douglas County Bank at this time. Knowing that banks would pay a premium for a corner lot, Rogers and Howe may have simply saved the lot for the bank, knowing they could later sell it to this, or another, bank at a handsome profit.

Sometime after construction of the Rogers and Howe Building, Rogers and Howe sold the 50 foot deep corner lot to the Douglas County Bank. The bank's lot, being only 50 feet deep, meant that there was room behind the bank for further construction. Shortly after construction of the Rogers and Howe Building this space was put to good use by Rogers and Howe with the addition of the annex to their mercantile store along the north side of the bank's lot.

A.L. Rogers and M.B. Howe were proprietors of the first mercantile business in Waterville, first opening in 1887. When completed in 1903, this was the largest mercantile store in Waterville. It was built simultaneously with the two buildings adjacent to the west, sharing many features, such as the brick corbeling, the highly detailed metal cornices and the large ball finials at each corner. The storefront was built with two identical bays. While the west bay has been substantially altered, the east bay (the default photo) appears to remain almost totally original.

Rogers and Howe Building

Building #8 and #8-A; Rogers and Howe Building and Annex

Address: 103 West Locust Street; 102-104 Chelan Avenue
Classification: Contributing
Date of Construction: 1903

Description: The Rogers and Howe Building is a one story brick structure which measures 50 feet across the facade and 100 feet deep. The building is composed of two storefront bays, with iron columns and lintels and recessed central entries. The bays are separated by brick piers and a projecting brick stringcourse runs across the bays. A recessed brick frieze is crowned by an ornate, bracketed metal cornice with finials.

The warehouse annex, which faces on Chelan, is connected to the rear portion of the main store, forming an L-shaped building. The warehouse is a one story brick structure which measures about 28 feet wide and 40 feet along Chelan Avenue facade. The building is divided into two storefront bays by brick piers and has a corbelled brick cornice. The storefront windows have been replaced in recent years.

History: A.L. Rogers and M.B. Howe were proprietors of the first mercantile business in Waterville (1887). In 1902, they received permission from the city council (of which they were both members at various times) to construct a new brick shop on the north side of Locust near the corner of Chelan. In January, Rogers went to both Spokane and Seattle in search of proper plans. When complete, the structure was the largest store in the area. Shortly afterward, Rogers and Howe sold a portion of the corner lot to the Douglas County Bank and constructed an annex north of the bank lot.
From the NRHP Registration Form


Photo goes Here

Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Downtown Waterville Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
103 West Locust Street Waterville, WA United States 98858


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.