Waterville State Bank - Downtown Waterville Historic District - Waterville, WA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 47° 38.834 W 120° 04.302
10T E 719914 N 5281248
Quick Description: For several years home to the Waterville State Bank, this building has also housed the post office, a carriage shop and a hardware store, at the least.
Location: Washington, United States
Date Posted: 6/15/2018 2:25:37 PM
Waymark Code: WMYH0T
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:
The Downtown Waterville Historic District encompasses all of one block of Locust Street plus the west end of a second block and a few buildings along North and South Chelan Avenue. In all there are 17 contributing and 2 non contributing buildings in the district. All buildings are of brick, save for the Centennial Feed Building, a single storey wood framed building on the west side of North Chelan. The brick for the district was manufactured locally in brick yards, first established in 1889. The oldest structure in the district, on the northeast corner of Locust Street and Chelan Avenue, is the First National Bank/Kincaid/IOOF Block, constructed in 1891.

The construction of this, the Waterville State Bank building, took place a full decade later, along with several more brick buildings. On the opposite corner of the intersection from the First National Bank/Kincaid/IOOF Block, this two story brick building was initially a single storey structure built to house the Carpenter and Maltbie Hardware. A year after the initial construction the building was expand and a second storey added to the original section. It wasn't until 1905 that the Waterville State Bank moved into the ground floor of the eastern half of the building, remaining there for several decades.

Today the building houses Auntie Blings Attique, a "Consignment boutique featuring new, antique and repurposed clothing, jewelry, home décor, furniture, wall art, soaps. A fun mix of new gift items interspersed with used vintage and antiques" in part of the ground floor, while the upper floor and the rear of the building are apartments.

Waterville State Bank

Building #2: Waterville State Bank—Carpenter and Maltbie Block

Address: 107 West Locust Street
Classification: Contributing
Date of Construction: 1902-03

Description: This two story brick structure, which measures 50 feet by 107 feet, features two street level storefronts on Locust and an upper story with segmental arched fenestration. The storefront bays retain the original iron lintels, which span the bays, and iron columns which support it. The bays are framed by brick piers which rise through the second story. A course of recessed brick panels separates the two stories and forms a sill course for the second floor windows. The windows retain the original double-hung wood sash. A corbelled brick cornice and parapet crown the structure. Side and rear elevations are planar brick walls punctuated by segmental arched windows and doors; most of the windows retain the original wood sash. The building shares a party wall with the brick structure on the east.

History: Nearly a decade after the major brick block on the northeast corner of Chelan and Locust was completed, construction of this structure began on the southwest corner. The building represented the first brick construction in almost a decade and, together with adjacent brick blocks constructed simultaneously on the east, helped identify the intersection as a major commercial hub.

Construction evolved in several stages. Initially, C.A. Carpenter and A.L. Maltbie constructed a one story brick building on the eastern lot to house their hardware and implement business. Within a year, they had torn down an adjacent frame structure on the corner and constructed a two story building. At the same time, they added a second story to the original brick building and integrated the two into a single structure. Construction of the building was supervised by C.W. Moon (contractor for the Waterville Hotel) with a crew of brick layers and masons from Wenatchee.

By 1905, the Waterville bank had moved into the ground floor of the corner structure and remained at the location for several decades. Founded in the early 20th century, the bank was capitalized at $30,000 in 1907. C.T. Hansen served as bank president at that time. The second floor of the corner lot was used as a carriage shop and, by 1909 as a theater and dance hall. By World War I, the post office occupied the rear storefront on Chelan Avenue.
From the NRHP Registration Form


Photo goes Here

Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Downtown Waterville Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
100 West Locust Street Waterville, WA United States 98858


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.