By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Chapelle Saint Louis de Guémy - Tournehem-sur-la-Hem, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YvesProvence
N 50° 48.530 E 002° 01.056
31U E 430783 N 5629027
Quick Description: L'énigmatique chapelle Saint Louis de Guémy
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 6/13/2018 8:22:47 AM
Waymark Code: WMYGF6
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 6

Long Description:
FR Il faudrait commencer l’histoire de la chapelle Saint Louis par « il était une fois peut-être » car rien n’est moins certain quant à son origine. Il est question de druides, de souterrains, de Louis IX, d’une fontaine miraculeuse et d’une statue Notre Dame vénérée par les marins.
La chapelle Saint Louis est un lieu à part, où chacun peut entrevoir une histoire chaotique où se mêlent la foi et les combats, des survivances et des abandons.

Il était donc une fois une chapelle, construite sur les hauteurs du hameau de Guémy, près de Tournehem sur la Hem. Juchée à 122m de hauteur sur le mont Saint-Louis, elle offre une vue inégalable sur la vallée de Hem, la campagne ardrésienne, le cap Blanc-Nez, les premiers faubourgs de Calais.

Laissons vite nos druides et abordons plutôt la période la mieux connue de l’édifice, sa construction probable au XVe siècle par Antoine de Bourgogne dit le Grand-Bâtard de Bourgogne, seigneur de Tournehem. Certains historiens pensent que le Grand-Bâtard de Bourgogne a peut-être en réalité reconstruit l’édifice en lieu et place d’une chapelle plus ancienne. Un édifice en lien avec le récit légendaire du roi Saint Louis.

La légende du roi Saint Louis
Louis IX de France, dit Saint Louis (1214-1270) a une réputation de monarque juste, mesuré, profondément croyant. Le voilà donc installant son armée sur les hauteurs de Guémy. Les habitants de Tournehem sur la Hem sont retranchés dans la cité fortifiée. Les troupes royales manquent cruellement d’eau, séparées de la rivière par les troupes adverses. Qu’à cela ne tienne, le roi prend son sceptre à la main et frappe trois fois le sol. Au premier coup, des eaux boueuses jaillirent, au second, de la matière, au troisième, une eau claire et limpide. Pour remercier Dieu du miracle, Saint-Louis confia à son frère, Robert Ier d’Artois, le soin d’ériger une chapelle dédiée à Notre-Dame.

Deux siècles plus tard, au XVe siècle, probablement entre 1445 et 1504, Antoine de Bourgogne fait construire ou reconstruire la chapelle que nous voyons aujourd’hui. Certains historiens en font même le lieu primitif du pèlerinage d’Ardres : On retrouve la trace au XVIe sur le Mont Saint Louis d’une chapelle dédiée à la Vierge et qui faisait l’objet d’un pèlerinage de marins. Sa position en hauteur, la rendait en effet visible de la côte où les pêcheurs, de leurs bateaux, pouvaient ainsi la saluer.

On dit que la fontaine réputée pour être miraculeuse coula de nombreuses années. On venait de loin pour faire guérir les écrouelles. Cette maladie infectieuse touchait les ganglions lymphatiques du cou. Il faut souligner que la guérison des écrouelles était un pouvoir accordé aux rois de France… D’où le lien avec Saint Louis. Un jour, le propriétaire d’un champs qu’elle traversait, gêné peut-être par cette vénération envahissante, décida de la tarir. Il jeta du vif argent, c’est-à-dire du mercure, dans la source empoisonnant l’eau. La punition du ciel ne se fit pas attendre : On dit que l’homme se dessécha en même temps que la source.

Quant aux souterrains … Ils courent encore sous la chapelle mais pas pour rejoindre Ardres, Tournehem voire Calais ou Saint Omer… Comme on l’a dit trop souvent. S’il y a bien effectivement des galeries souterraines, elles débouchent en réalité sur d’anciennes carrières de craies. Carrières qui ont servi pour la construction de la chapelle Saint Louis mais aussi d’autres édifices de la région. Citons notamment l’église de l’abbaye Saint-Bertin à Saint-Omer. Un site magnifique à voir, superbement aménagé, et qui vaut vraiment un détour.
EN It would be necessary to begin the history of the chapel Saint Louis by "it was once perhaps" because nothing is less certain as to its origin. It is about druids, underground, Louis IX, a miraculous fountain and a statue of Our Lady venerated by sailors.
The Saint Louis Chapel is a place apart, where everyone can catch a glimpse of a chaotic history of faith and fighting, survivals and abandonments.

It was once a chapel, built on the heights of the hamlet of Guémy, near Tournehem on the Hem. Perched at 122m high on Mount St. Louis, it offers an incomparable view of the Hem valley, the countryside of Ardres, Cape Blanc-Nez, the first suburbs of Calais.

Let's quickly leave our druids and approach rather the best known period of the building, its construction probably in the 15th century by Antoine de Bourgogne said the Grand Bastard of Burgundy, lord of Tournehem. Some historians believe that the Grand Bastard of Burgundy may have actually rebuilt the building instead of an older chapel. A building related to the legendary story of King Saint Louis.

The legend of King Saint Louis
Louis IX of France, known as Saint Louis (1214-1270) has a reputation of monarch just, measured, deeply believing. Here he is installing his army on the heights of Guémy. The inhabitants of Tournehem sur la Hem are entrenched in the fortified city. The royal troops are cruelly short of water, separated from the river by the enemy troops. Never mind, the king takes his scepter in his hand and hits the ground three times. At the first blow, muddy waters sprang up, in the second, matter, on the third, a clear and limpid water. To thank God for the miracle, Saint-Louis entrusted his brother, Robert I of Artois, with the task of erecting a chapel dedicated to Our Lady.

Two centuries later, in the 15th century, probably between 1445 and 1504, Antoine de Bourgogne built or rebuilt the chapel that we see today. Some historians even make it the primitive place of the pilgrimage of Ardres: One finds the trace in the XVIe on the Mount Saint Louis of a vault dedicated to the Virgin and which was the object of a pilgrimage of sailors. Its position in height, made it indeed visible from the coast where the fishermen, their boats, could thus greet her.

It is said that the fountain, reputed to be miraculous, ran for many years. We came from far away to heal the scrofula. This infectious disease affected the lymph nodes of the neck. It must be emphasized that the healing of scrofula was a power granted to the kings of France ... Hence the link with Saint Louis. One day, the owner of a field that she was passing through, perhaps embarrassed by this invasive veneration, decided to dry it up. He threw strong silver, that is, mercury, into the source poisoning the water. The punishment of Heaven was not long in coming: It is said that the man dried up at the same time as the spring.

As for the underground ... They still run under the chapel but not to reach Ardres, Tournehem or Calais or Saint Omer ... As we have said too often. If there are indeed underground galleries, they actually lead to old chalk quarries. Quarries that served for the construction of the Saint Louis chapel but also other buildings in the region. These include the church of St. Bertin Abbey in Saint-Omer. A beautiful site to see, beautifully landscaped, and really worth a detour.


Source :
* https://nord-decouverte.fr/lenigmatique-chapelle-saint-louis-guemy/
* http://www.cote-dopale.com/tourisme/la-chapelle-saint-louis-de-tournehem

Merci à Jé-rhum Greuez sans qui je n'aurais jamais connu l'endroit
The "Official Tourism" URL link to the attraction: [Web Link]

The attraction’s own URL: [Web Link]

Hours of Operation:
24/7/365 The site is open all year


Admission Prices:
Free


Approximate amount of time needed to fully experience the attraction: Up to 1 hour

Transportation options to the attraction: Personal Vehicle Only

Visit Instructions:

As a suggestion for your visit log, please make every effort to supply a brief-to-detailed note about your experience at the Waymark. If possible also include an image that was taken when you visited the Waymark. Images can be of yourself, a personal Waymarking signature item or just one of general interest that would be of value to others. Sharing your experience helps promote Waymarking and provides a dynamic history of your adventures.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Official Local Tourism Attractions
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Chapelle Saint Louis de Guémy - Tournehem-sur-la-Hem, France 8/11/2019 pmaupin visited it
Danalieth73 visited Chapelle Saint Louis de Guémy - Tournehem-sur-la-Hem, France 2/27/2019 Danalieth73 visited it

View all visits/logs