La Commanderie de Lagarde - Lieutadès (Cantal), France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member RakeInTheCache
N 44° 49.780 E 002° 55.611
31T E 494217 N 4964031
Quick Description: [FR] Actuellement, il ne reste de visible de cette commanderie que la charmante petite chapelle isolée sur sa butte. [EN] All that remains today of this commandery is the charming little chapel standing alone on the hill.
Location: Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, France
Date Posted: 6/9/2018 8:17:39 AM
Waymark Code: WMYFA5
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Kelux
Views: 0

Long Description:
Source : (visit link)

[FR] En y regardant de plus près sur cette butte, on peut encore voir des fondations de murs ainsi qu'un pan de mur isolé qui étaient sans doute les soubassements des bâtiments de la commanderie.

En 1130-1131, lorsque le comte de Barcelone et vicomte de Carlat Raymond Berenger III désire s'affilier à l'Ordre du Temple juste avant de mourir, il fait plusieurs dons à l'Ordre. Au nombre de ceux-ci, se trouve la moitié de la chatellenie de La Garda.


A cet emplacement, les templiers vont édifier une importante commanderie fortifiée qui était composée d'un manoir, d'une chapelle, de deux moulins dont un se trouvait dans le village voisin de Jabrun qui appartenait en entier à l'Ordre du Temple et de plusieurs hectares de bois et paturages aux alentours.

La commanderie à été donnée aux Hospitaliers de Saint-Jean-de-Jérusalem après le procès des Templiers, en 1312.

[EN] Looking closer on the hill, one can still see the foundations of walls as well as a portion of wall still standing which were probably the basement of the commandery buildings.

In 1130-1131, when the count of Barcelona, Raymond Berenger III wished to become affiliated with the Order of the Temple just before his death, he made several gifts to the Order. Among them, half of the lordship of La Garda.

At this location, the Templars would build a large fortified commandery which was composed of a manor, a chapel, and two mills of which one was located in the neighboring village of Jabrun which belonged entirely to the Order of the Tempel and several hectars of woods and pasture in the vicinity.
Name of Military Order: Knights Templar

Link documenting charitable acts: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Posters must have physically visited the location. Uploading an original photo is strongly encouraged.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Legacy of Medieval Spiritual Warriors
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.