By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

St. Philippus und Jakobus - Kempenich - Rheinland-Pfalz / Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Iris & Harry
N 50° 25.176 E 007° 07.221
32U E 366471 N 5586973
Quick Description: Catholic parish church of St. Philip and James in Kempenich originally built at the beginning of the 13th century
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
Date Posted: 6/7/2018 4:16:29 AM
Waymark Code: WMYEVH
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
Views: 1

Long Description:
Seite „St. Philippus und Jakobus (Kempenich)“. In: Wikipedia, Die freie Enzyklopädie. Bearbeitungsstand: 28. April 2018, 18:44 UTC. URL: (visit link) (Abgerufen: 7. Juni 2018, 10:40 UTC)

"Die katholische Pfarrkirche St. Philippus und Jakobus in Kempenich, einer Ortsgemeinde im Landkreis Ahrweiler im Norden von Rheinland-Pfalz, wurde ursprünglich Anfang des 13. Jahrhunderts erbaut. Die Kirche ist den Aposteln Philippus und Jakobus (der Jüngere) geweiht.

Geschichte

Aus dem Patrozinium der Kirche wird auf ein hohes Alter der Kirche geschlossen. Sie wurde erstmals 1330 in der Taxa generalis des Trierer Erzbistums genannt. Der romanische Westturm wird auf Anfang des 13. Jahrhunderts datiert. Der Kern des heute noch vorhandenen Langhauses wurde um 1470 gebaut. Um 1728 vergrößerte man den Chor und an der Südseite des Ostjoches des Langhauses wurde eine Sakristei angebaut. Neben weiteren kleineren Umbauten im Laufe der Zeit war schließlich die Erweiterung in den Jahren 1904 bis 1906 wesentlich. Unter der Leitung des Bonner Architekten Johann Adam Rüppel wurde das nördliche Seitenschiff erneuert und ein südliches Seitenschiff hinzugefügt. Damit entstand die heutige vierschiffige Hallenkirche. 1919 wurde die Westempore aus Tuffstein in neogotischen Formen errichtet.

Architektur

Der romanische Westturm, mit einer Grundfläche von 6 mal 6 Metern, besitzt vier Geschosse, die durch profilierte Gesimse voneinander getrennt sind. Die unteren drei Geschosse besitzen Lichtschlitze und das letzte Geschoss, mit einem Rundbogenfries über je drei Lisenen versehen, hat zwei auf Säulen ruhende Rundbogenfenster in einem rahmenden Blendwerk. Den Abschluss bildet ein profiliertes Kranzgesims aus Tuffstein und darüber erhebt sich ein schlanker, achtseitiger und leicht geknickter Helm.

Das rundbogige Westportal ist in einer Blende aus Basaltquadern eingelassen. Der Vorraum wird von einem Kreuzrippengewölbe überfangen und von einem halbrunden Bleiglasfenster mit der Darstellung der klugen und törichten Jungfrauen abgetrennt.
Kirchenschiffe

Das spätgotische Langhaus hatte ursprünglich vier Joche. Beim barocken Umbau wurde ein Satteldach über alle Schiffe errichtet und das Langhaus verändert. Der Innenraum besitzt eine Abfolge von Kreuz-, Netz-, Stern- und wiederum Netzgewölben, die auf achteckigen Pfeilern ruhen. Die Pfeiler besitzen keine Kapitelle, sondern Konsolen in Form von wappentragenden Figuren bzw. Aposteln.

Die nach dem Umbau Anfang des 20. Jahrhunderts vierschiffige Hallenkirche besitzt ein umlaufendes Gesims, auf dem die Fenstersohlbänke aufsitzen. Das Maßwerk der Fenster ist der Spätgotik nachempfunden. Die um 1905 entstandenen Glasfenster wurden von den Firmen Gassen & Blaschke (Düsseldorf) und Oidtmann in Linnich hergestellt.

Ausstattung

Der trommelförmige Taufstein (im Innern mit einer Szene aus dem Alten Testament erneuert) mit einem eingeritzten Rautenmuster wird in die erste Hälfte des 13. Jahrhunderts datiert und besitzt am unteren Rand einen Blattfries.

Am Aufgang zur Sakristei befindet sich in der Wand ein Sakramentsschrein, der mit einem spätgotischen Eisengitter verschlossen ist.

Der linke Seitenaltar, ein Marienaltar aus dem 18. Jahrhundert, stammt aus dem ehemaligen Dominikanerkloster in Koblenz.

In der Seitenkapelle links nach dem Westeingang befinden sich zwei Grabdenkmäler. Eines ist die Grabplatte der Elisabeth Schilling von Lahnstein († 1547/1552) aus Tuff mit lebensgroßer Darstellung der Verstorbenen mit einem Rosenkranz in den gefalteten Händen. Außen sind Ahnenwappen zu sehen. Der Sockel, der mit einer Inschriftentafel versehen war, ist zerstört. Gegenüber befindet sich an der Wand die Grabplatte der Elisabeth Schenk von Schmittburg. Die mit zweieinhalb Monaten Verstorbene wird als Wickelkind in einer halbrunden Nische, die von Pilastern mit Inschriften gerahmt wird, dargestellt. "

EN (Translation):

"The Catholic parish church of St. Philip and James in Kempenich, a local community in the district of Ahrweiler in the north of Rhineland-Palatinate, was originally built at the beginning of the 13th century. The church is dedicated to the apostles Philip and James (the younger).

Narrative
From the patronage of the church it is concluded that the church is very old. It was first mentioned in the Taxa generalis of the archdiocese of Trier in 1330. The Romanesque west tower dates from the beginning of the 13th century. The core of the nave, which still exists today, was built around 1470. Around 1728 the choir was enlarged and a sacristy was added to the south side of the eastern bay of the nave. In addition to further minor alterations over time, the expansion in the years 1904 to 1906 was essential. Under the direction of Bonn architect Johann Adam Rüppel, the northern aisle was renovated and a southern aisle was added. The present four-aisled hall church was thus built. In 1919 the west gallery of tuff was built in neo-gothic forms.

Architecture
The Romanesque west tower, with a floor area of 6 by 6 metres, has four storeys separated by profiled cornices. The lower three floors have light slits and the last floor, with a round arch frieze over three pilaster strips each, has two round arch windows resting on columns in a framing blind. A profiled wreath cornice of tuff forms the end and a slim, eight-sided and slightly bent helmet rises above it.

The round arched west portal is embedded in a basalt block panel. The vestibule is covered by a ribbed vault and separated by a semicircular lead glass window depicting the wise and foolish virgins.
aisles

The late Gothic nave originally had four bays. During the baroque reconstruction, a saddle roof was erected over all ships and the nave was changed. The interior has a sequence of cross, net, star and net vaults resting on octagonal pillars. The pillars have no capitals, but consoles in the form of armorial figures or apostles.

After the reconstruction at the beginning of the 20th century, the four-aisled hall church has a surrounding cornice on which the window soffits sit. The tracery of the windows is based on the late Gothic style. The glass windows, made around 1905, were manufactured by the companies Gassen & Blaschke (Düsseldorf) and Oidtmann in Linnich.


Accoutrement
The tumble-shaped baptismal font (inside renewed with a scene from the Old Testament) with a carved diamond pattern dates back to the first half of the 13th century and has a leaf frieze at the lower edge.

At the entrance to the sacristy there is a sacrament shrine in the wall, which is closed with a late-Gothic iron lattice.

The left side altar, an 18th century altar of the Virgin Mary, comes from the former Dominican monastery in Koblenz.

In the side chapel on the left after the west entrance there are two tombs. One is the tomb slab of Elisabeth Schilling von Lahnstein († 1547/1552) made of tuff with a life-size representation of the deceased with a rosary in the folded hands. Ancestor coats of arms can be seen on the outside. The base, which was provided with an inscription plate, is destroyed. Opposite is the tomb slab of Elisabeth Schenk von Schmittburg on the wall. The deceased, who died two and a half months ago, is depicted as a baby in a semicircular niche framed by pilasters with inscriptions. "


Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Dominant Architectural Style: Romanesque

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: tumble-shaped baptismal font , sacrament shrine in the wall, tomb slab of Elisabeth Schenk von Schmittburg

Diocese: Trier

Address/Location:
St. Philippus u. Jakobus
Marktstraße 11
Kempenich , Rheinland-Pfalz Germany
56746


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Date of organization: Not listed

Date of building construction: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.