By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Tucker House - 1889 - Weatherford, TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 32° 51.282 W 097° 39.445
14S E 625628 N 3635978
Quick Description: Built about 1889, the historic Tucker House is at 6245 Tucker Dr, between Azle and Weatherford, in Parker County, TX. A sign in the front yard dates the house to "C. 1889".
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 5/2/2018 1:25:18 PM
Waymark Code: WMY6X9
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member razalas
Views: 0

Long Description:
While the sign itself is fairly simple, two markers here provide some background. One by door was placed by the Silver Creek Heritage Society, and it reads:

Tucker House
Built about 1889 by brothers
Virgil Jasper and Jerry Tucker.

V.J., a cotton farmer who turned to dairy farming after losing his crops to a hailstorm in the 1920's, lived in this house from about 1890 until his death in 1946. Here Virgil and his wife, Emma Allen, raised their five children Fay, Mose, Lorene, Guy and Loyce.

Guy Tucker took over the property after the death of his father. The Cleo Wright, Clark Trichell, Denzil Wright, Virgil Wright, and Harold Ray Wright families are among those that lived and dairied on this farm over the years.

Tucker House was donated to the Silver Creek Heritage Society by Ann Tucker Moody, daughter of Guy and Julia Sharpe Tucker, granddaughter of V.J. and Emma Tucker.

Dedicated October 3, 1999
to the use and enjoyment of the
Silver Creek Community.

---

The house is a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, and a 2012 Texas Historical Marker near the driveway gate provides some complementary background:

Moses Tucker (1833-1890) came to Texas from Kentucky with his twin brother, Aaron, in 1853. A log cabin was built on this land. After serving in the Civil War, Tucker returned to Parker County and to his wife, Martha Elizabeth (Cockburn) (1839-1915), and family. According to oral tradition, the current building was erected in 1889 and consists of vertical boards with lap siding in a vernacular architectural style. The home included two rooms with a central hall and an attic. The back half of the house was later added with a kitchen area, porches, and a bath. The Tucker family farmed the land for more than a century before donating the property to the Silver Creek Heritage Society.
Year built or dedicated as indicated on the structure or plaque: 1889

Full Inscription (unless noted above):
Tucker
House

C. 1889

Administered by the
Silver Creek Heritage Society



Website (if available): Not listed

Visit Instructions:


Any log as a visit to a waymark will require a picture as proof that the person visited a particular dated architectural structure. Any posted visits not containing a picture in the log will risk being being deleted.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Architectural Structures Multifarious
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.