Queen's Park - Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England, UK.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Poole/Freeman
N 52° 58.650 W 002° 08.556
30U E 557569 N 5870111
Quick Description: Queen's Park, also known as Longton Park, is located on Trentham Road in Dresden, Stoke-on-Trent.
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 4/23/2018 5:56:08 AM
Waymark Code: WMY51B
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member NW_history_buff
Views: 0

Long Description:
The park's official name is Queen's Park. The land was given by the Duke of Sutherland, and work began in 1887. The total cost was estimated to be £6000, which was mostly met by voluntary subscription. The park was officially opened on July 25th 1888 by George Granville William Sutherland Levison-Gower, the third Duke of Sutherland.

The park has four entrances, two on Trentham Road and two on Queens Park Avenue. The coordinates given are for the main entrance to the park located on the corner of Trentham Road and Queens Park Avenue.

Queen's Park is Grade: II* listed, and is famous for its trees, horticulture and lakes. It has a very individual character and is one of the city's heritage parks.

Historic England describe the park as follows;
"Summary of Garden
A public park of 1887 with lakes, winding tree-lined carriage drives and paths, shrubberies, and much original furniture including a bandstand.

Reasons for Designation
Queen’s Park, Longton, opened in 1888, is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons: * Date: the park is a good example of a later Victorian municipal park in an industrial town; * Design: its design is essentially unchanged from its original layout of the 1880s; * Designer: the park was designed and laid out by the Duke of Sutherland’s Land Agent John H Garrett; * Historic interest: the park was the first public pleasure ground in The Potteries; * Structures: the park retains various C19 park structures, many locally manufactured; * Planting: good mature trees survive, with tree-lined paths and drives.

History
Although said to have been considered by the Duke of Sutherland as early as 1879, work on the Queen's Park began only in 1887, the Queen's Golden Jubilee year, on forty-five acres (c 18ha) given by the Duke to the Borough of Longton. Longton was then expanding from the straggling village of Lane End, among the developers being the Duke himself with the suburb of Florence immediately to the north-east of the park which was built up in the 1860s. The park, the first public 'pleasure ground' in the Potteries, opened in 1888 when the Rev Salt praised it as an example of the 'best practical solution of the problem between the landed aristocracy and socialism'. The total cost was estimated to be £6000, which was mostly met by voluntary subscription. Some £1000 of the total was given by the mayor, the local manufacturer John Aynsley, who had been instrumental in bringing the project to fruition.

GARDENS AND PLEASURE GROUNDS The park is roughly rectangular, and is c 700m long from north-west to south-east by 300m wide. Its layout has remained virtually unaltered since it was laid out. Three main zones can be identified. The half of the park to the south of the Superintendent's Lodge, essentially the west half of the landscape, is more densely and formally laid out, with an intricate curving network of tree-lined carriage rides and broad paths running between shrubberies and lawns with formal bedding schemes. Iron benches of several different designs are placed at frequent intervals along the paths and drives, at intersections of which are 2m high cast-iron posts; at least two partially retain their 'Carriage Drive' finger signs. These and the benches were supplied by the Longton foundry of Edwards & Jones. Near the centre of this zone is a cast-iron (by Dean & Lowe, of Stoke) octagonal bandstand. East of this, and close to Queen's Park Avenue, are two C20 hard tennis courts. On the east edge of the zone, 100m south of the Carlisle Street gates, is the central feature of the park, an elaborate stone clock tower. North-east of the clock tower, and on the south-east side of the Carlisle Street gates, is a circular, later C20, children's playground with apparatus enclosed within a hedge.

In the southern part of the zone, and between the lakes and the bandstand, are three roughly circular bowling greens, each with a shelter; two of those are probably of the late C19, and one of the C20.

The east half of the park is far more open, with only one main drive running east/west across its centre in addition to those along its north and south sides. The trees along the centre drive are especially striking, with copper beech alternating with green-leaved species. On the south edge of the zone, adjoining the embankment of the former railway, mature poplars mark the site of a now disappeared children's playground.

The park was designed and its laying-out supervised by John H Garrett, the Duke of Sutherland's land agent. Some 15,000 trees and shrubs were donated by the Duke of Sutherland and other patrons, and the lakes stocked with coarse fish - fishing was allowed from 1890, and there were boats for hire. In 1889 sixty cast-iron 'Keep off the Grass' notice plates were purchased. The park staff then comprised a uniformed Superintendent, an Assistant, and six labourers. Swings and other children's facilities were a later introduction." SOURCE: (visit link)

Recreational Facilities include;
bandstand, bowling green and three bowling pavilions, tennis courts, skate park, two football pitches, children's play area- one for toddlers and another for juniors, fitness equipment and a lake with fishing controlled by Fenton and District Anglers.

(visit link)
The "Official Tourism" URL link to the attraction: [Web Link]

The attraction’s own URL: [Web Link]

Hours of Operation:
It is open from 8:00am until dusk.


Admission Prices:
Free


Approximate amount of time needed to fully experience the attraction: Not listed

Transportation options to the attraction: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

As a suggestion for your visit log, please make every effort to supply a brief-to-detailed note about your experience at the Waymark. If possible also include an image that was taken when you visited the Waymark. Images can be of yourself, a personal Waymarking signature item or just one of general interest that would be of value to others. Sharing your experience helps promote Waymarking and provides a dynamic history of your adventures.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Official Local Tourism Attractions
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.