All Saints - Newtown Linford, Leicestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 40.989 W 001° 13.755
30U E 619698 N 5838496
Quick Description: All Saints' church, Newtown Linford.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 4/9/2018 1:14:07 PM
Waymark Code: WMY2V5
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 0

Long Description:
"The history of the church has, for many years, been much influenced by its association with the Grey family and the Bradgate estate. Lady Jane Grey, whose life and brief reign have been so well recorded by Joan Stevenson, is probably the most famous member of that family.

The Greys, holding the title of Earls of Stamford, were patrons of the church and when Bradgate was the family residence, the earl’s domestic chaplain usually served as village priest. A note in the parish register for 1686 by Arthur Squibb, "chaplain to the Rt. Honbb. ye Earl of Stamford", precedes his list of those "Christned and buried at Newtown in Leicestershire".

Until the extensions of the 19th. century it was a small, simple village church described by John Nichols as "a mean rude structure..not at all ornamented", and measured just fifty three feet long by seventeen feet wide.

The Nave

This is the main body of the church where the congregation sits. The word itself comes from the Latin "Navis" meaning ship. Many churches have wooden rafters which give the appearance of an upturned boat, and boats, especially fishing boats, have a symbolic significance for Christians. The 19th. century wooden pews replaced the "very antient open seats" described by John Nichols in the early 1800’s.

The Chancel

This is the section at the east end of the church which contains the choir stalls and altar. It was extended to its present size in 1894 and a plaque on the south wall refers to its dedication by the Bishop of Peterborough.

The Vestry

A door by the organ leads into the vestry which is used by the clergy as a robing room.

The North Transept/Aisle

When added in the 16th. century, the Transept would have been a small cross-piece with a fireplace in the corner to warm the family pew of the Earl of Stamford. As the church was extended in 1894, this was lengthened to form a north aisle.

The Tower

Strongly built to act as place of refuge and to house the church bells, this was part of the original building. There are now six bells, two of which are over three hundred years old. The oldest, inscribed "Tomaset", was possibly moved here from Ulverscroft Priory after its dissolution in 1539."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.