L'Église Saint-Julien-et-Sainte-Basilisse, aux deux clochers - Grabels, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YvesProvence
N 43° 38.841 E 003° 47.826
31T E 564284 N 4833014
Quick Description: L'Eglise aux deux clochers de Grabels
Location: Occitanie, France
Date Posted: 2/24/2018 3:34:46 AM
Waymark Code: WMXTAC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
Views: 5

Long Description:
FR En 1621, Grabels connu un siège et en mai 1622, les murailles de Grabels furent démolies et son clocher renversé.
Pendant près d'un demi-siècle, la partie sud du village ne fût qu'un amas de ruines. Le porquier, le rempart, le presbytère étaient entièrement démolis, l'église réduite à deux pans de murs latéraux. Le porquier et le rempart ne seront jamais relevés.
Ce n'est qu'en 1666, à partir des murs restés debout, que fût reconstruite la nouvelle église.
En 1826, des travaux importants d'amélioration ont été effectués, comme en témoignent les inscriptions gravées sur des plaques de marbre posées à l'entrée de la nef.
En 1867, un projet d'agrandissement voit le jour, avec prolongement de la nef par une travée supplémentaire, édification d'une façade surmontée d'un clocher monumental et aménagement d'un comble en charpente sur l'ensemble du bâtiment.
En cours de travaux, on ajouta un perron d'accès et des chapelles latérales. Achevée en 1879, l'église a dorénavant deux clochers dominant la place de la Fontaine pour le plus ancien et la place de l'Église pour le plus récent.
Pendant le XXe siècle, grâce au curé Joseph Roucairol, l'église a été dotée d'un orgue bien connu dans les milieux musicaux.
EN In 1621, Grabels experienced a siege and in May 1622 the walls of Grabels were demolished and its steeple reversed. For nearly half a century, the southern part of the village was nothing but a heap of ruins. The porquier, the rampart, the presbytery were entirely demolished, the church reduced to two sides of side walls. The porquier and the rampart will never be raised. It was not until 1666, from the walls that remained standing, that the new church was rebuilt. In 1826, important improvements were made, as evidenced by inscriptions engraved on marble slabs placed at the entrance to the nave. In 1867, an enlargement project was born, with extension of the nave by an additional bay, erection of a facade surmounted by a monumental bell tower and arrangement of a skylight on the entire building. . During the works, an entrance porch and side chapels were added. Completed in 1879, the church now has two steeples overlooking the Place de la Fontaine for the oldest and the Church Square for the most recent. During the twentieth century, thanks to the parish priest Joseph Roucairol, the church was endowed with a well-known organ in the musical circles.


Source : http://www.ville-grabels.fr/UTB_S/1/1661-les-monuments.htm#par17203
Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of building construction: 1/1/1622

Diocese: Montpellier

Address/Location:
Rue de l'Église
Grabels, France
34790


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Date of organization: Not listed

Dominant Architectural Style: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Jean Bat' visited L'Église Saint-Julien-et-Sainte-Basilisse, aux deux clochers - Grabels, France 4/21/2018 Jean Bat' visited it