Bank Electric Block - Lewistown, MT
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 47° 03.834 W 109° 25.690
12T E 619355 N 5213463
Quick Description: The Bank Electric Block was so named for the partnership between the First National Bank and the Lewistown Electric & Power Company which was responsible for its construction.
Location: Montana, United States
Date Posted: 2/21/2018 8:02:28 PM
Waymark Code: WMXRWF
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 0

Long Description:
Still very much original, the Wasmansdorff and Eastman designed Bank Electric Block was built to house the First National Bank of Lewiston and the offices of the Montana Power Company. One of the largest buildings to line Lewistown's Main Street, the four storey flat roofed masonry structure was built by the Seerie Brothers of Denver, Colorado.

Though not extravagantly embellished, the building was given its fair share of terra cotta trim, mostly in a beltline at dividing the ground and second floors and at the cornice, plus terra cotta frames surrounding the windows of the upper four storeys. At the cornice are terra cotta panels at each corner of the building, each with a pair of lion's heads, the lions carrying square linked chains in their mouths. There is a total of ten lions dispersed around three sides of the building. Above, the overhanging cornice has several bands of decorated terra cotta blocks and tiles. At the roof is a low parapet of terra cotta blocks or bricks with tombstone-like decorative pieces every few feet. The parapet's corners have projecting seashell-like mouldings.

Bank Electric Block The First National Bank, organized in 1904 under the National Bank Act, was to become the "lusty offspring" of the Judith Basin Bank (est. 1899). Bankers generally sought the development of the region both as merchants and as landholders, as they remained dependent upon the farmers' prosperity, while the land agent lost interest when the transaction was completed. The interest of bankers in real estate was not simply that of normal banking operation, but that of businessmen engaged in multiple ventures. Many Lewistown bankers were not only large landholders, but were involved in private land office businesses and in organizations dedicated to promoting the dry land acres of Central Montana.

Over four million acres in public land were settled in the Lewistown district between 1900 and 1913, and Lewistown served as the commercial center for the influx of landseekers.

The First National Bank and the Montana Power Company, growing with the town, retained the services of the local firm of Wasmansdorff and Eastman to design the Bank-Electric Building. One hundred homes and at least a dozen large commercial buildings were constructed in Lewistown during 1913, and the Bank-Electric Building stands as a visible sign of the development and prosperity of the community during this period.
From the NRHP Nomination Form, Site# 177


Photo goes Here

Artist: Wasmansdorff and Eastman archiects

Address:
505 West Main Street Lewistown, MT United States 59457


Web URL to relevant information: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photos of the building and a piece of art (minimum 1).
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Frieze Art
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.