By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

La Prison des Plaines d'Abraham - The Plains of Abraham Jail - Québec, Québec
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
N 46° 48.400 W 071° 15.732
19T E 327398 N 5186164
Quick Description: La Prison des Plaines d'Abraham, maintenant le Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec, est située au 179 Grande Allée Ouest. The Plains of Abraham Jail, now the Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec, is located at 179 Grande Allée West.
Location: Québec, Canada
Date Posted: 2/16/2018 8:21:46 AM
Waymark Code: WMXQY1
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 7

Long Description:
La Prison des Plaines d'Abraham

Prison - 1867-1970

Au milieu du 19e siècle, la prison de Québec située à l’intérieur des murs de la ville (l’actuel Morrin Center) ne répond plus aux besoins des autorités. Ces dernières décident donc d’en ériger une nouvelle sur les plaines d’Abraham en septembre 1861. Les plans de l’architecte et ingénieur Charles-Philippe-Ferdinand Baillairgé (1826-1906) en font la première prison au Canada construite en accord avec les principes de salubrité et les théories les plus récentes sur les systèmes pénitentiaires .

C’est en 1867 que la prison accueille ses premiers occupants. Jusqu’au début des années 1930, elle héberge autant les hommes que les femmes. Ces dernières sont transférées à la maison Gomin, située à Sainte-Foy, en 1931. Au total, la prison compte lors de son ouverture 138 cellules, réparties dans deux ailes . L’été, les détenus travaillent dans une ferme attenante à la prison.

En dépit de sa conception d’avant-garde, la prison gêne les plans d’aménagement de l’architecte Frederick Todd. En 1909, il recommande la démolition de ce bâtiment austère qui cadre mal avec la vocation récréative que l’on veut donner à l’endroit. On n’acquiescera jamais à sa demande, mais en 1911, le gouvernement du Québec consent à céder à la Commission des champs de bataille nationaux une partie du terrain entourant le site .

La prison accueille ses derniers occupants en 1967 et est désaffectée en 1970. Elle devient, pour quelque temps au début des années 1970, la «Petite Bastille», c’est-à-dire une auberge pour les jeunes . Partie intégrante du Musée nationale des beaux-arts du Québec depuis les années 1980, la prison prend le nom de Pavillon Charles-Baillairgé et abrite des expositions du musée. L’édifice est classé monument historique en 1997 par le gouvernement du Québec.

Reference:http://www.ccbn-nbc.gc.ca/fr/histoire-patrimoine/histoire-site/parc-dans-ville/#prison

Plains of Abraham Jail - 1867-1970

In the middle of the 19th century, it was decided that the Quebec jail situated inside the walls of the city (what is today the Morrin Centre) was no longer adequate, and that a new one would be built on the Plains of Abraham in September 1861. The plans prepared by architect and engineer Charles-Philippe-Ferdinand Baillargé (1826-1906) made it the first prison in Canada constructed in accordance with the principles of sanitation and the most recent theories on penitentiary systems.

The first inmates were put in the prison in 1867. Until the early 1930s, both women and men were held there. The Gomin house in Sainte-Foy became the women’s prison in 1931. In all, the prison had 138 cells in two wings when it opened. In summer, the inmates work on a farm adjacent to the prison.

Despite its avant-garde design, the prison stood as an impediment in architect Frederick Todd’s development plans. In 1909, he recommended the demolition of this austere building that undermined the recreational vocation it was hoped the park would have. His recommendation was rejected, but in 1911, the Quebec government did agree to cede to the National Battlefields Commission a portion of the land surrounding the site.

The prison housed its final occupants in 1967 and was decommissioned in 1970. For a period of time in the early 1970s it served as a youth hostel nicknamed the “little Bastille.” An integral part of the Musée nationale des beaux-arts du Québec since the 1980s, the prison was named Pavillon Charles-Baillargé and was used to house the museum’s exhibitions. The building was classified a historic monument in 1997 by the Quebec government.

Reference: (visit link)
Address:
179 Grande Allée Ouest
Québec, QC Canada


Open to the public: Yes

Hours:
Lundi Fermé Mardi 10 h - 17 h Mercredi 10 h - 21 h Jeudi 10 h - 17 h Vendredi 10 h - 17 h Samedi 10 h - 17 h Dimanche 10 h - 17 h


Fees?:
DROITS D'ENTRÉE (TAXES INCLUSES) Adultes 20 $ Aînés (65 ans et +) 18 $ 18 à 30 ans 11 $ 13 à 17 ans 6 $


Web link: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
In order to add a new log to the waymark of this category, simply take another photo of the prison from a different angle than the other posts. Also add to the history of the jail when possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Retired Prisons
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
lyturmel visited La Prison des Plaines d'Abraham -  The Plains of Abraham Jail - Québec, Québec 5/1/2013 lyturmel visited it