Schloss Martinsburg - Lahnstein, RLP / Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Iris & Harry
N 50° 17.848 E 007° 36.343
32U E 400695 N 5572634
Quick Description: Medieval lombard band frieze around the castle
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
Date Posted: 2/12/2018 1:12:42 PM
Waymark Code: WMXQA6
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 1

Long Description:
Lombard band frieze can be found all around the castle, at the towers as well. The whole building is in a very good condition.

About the castle:

Information from the official tourism website:
Source: (visit link)

The construction of the toll castle of the Archbishops and prince-electors of Mainz began in the year 1298. The 28 m high Gothic donjon also served as a corner bastion of the town fortifications. The north wing, the gate wall with parapet walk and the machicoulis date back to the 14th century, the south wing was built around 1498. The old defense wall is still visible on the outside of the south wing.
The castle church was the first evangelical church in Lahnstein and is dedicated to Saint Bartholomew. Today, the castle is owned privately and accommodates, among others, the CCO Carnival Museum.

----------------------------------------------

Seite „Schloss Martinsburg“. In: Wikipedia, Die freie Enzyklopädie. Bearbeitungsstand: 31. Oktober 2017, 16:09 UTC. URL: (visit link) (Abgerufen: 12. Februar 2018, 17:02 UTC)

"Das Schloss Martinsburg, kurz Martinsburg oder auch Martinsschloss genannt, ist eine Schlossanlage in Lahnstein. Sie wurde 1298 als Zollburg der Erzbischöfe von Mainz errichtet und trug ursprünglich den Namen Burg Lahnstein. Der Mainzer Erzbischof erbaute neben der Stadtmauer in Lahnstein auch diese Anlage, die eine der wenigen unzerstörten Burgen am Mittelrhein ist. Sie befindet sich heute in Privatbesitz und beherbergt neben Wohnungen und Büros ein Fastnachtsmuseum sowie eine Münzprägeanstalt.

Geschichte

Die Martinsburg wurde am Ende des 13. Jahrhunderts als Stützpunkt zur Wahrnehmung der Mainzer Zollrechte errichtet. Seit 1292 hatte sich das Mainzer Kurfürsten- und Erzbistum mit Erlaubnis des Königs Adolf von Nassau Anteile am Bopparder Reichszoll gesichert. Da sich die kurmainzische Burg Lahneck in einiger Entfernung vom Rhein auf einer Anhöhe erhob, wurde unmittelbar am Rhein ein festes Gebäude errichtet, das die Zollerhebung sichern sollte. Wahrscheinlich stand an diesem Platz zur Überwachung der Schifffahrt schon in der Mitte des 13. Jahrhunderts ein befestigter Bau, der 1244 urkundlich erwähnt wurde.

Die ältesten Teile des Schlosses bilden ein rechteckiger Wohnturm, der mit zwei Ecktürmen versehen ist, sowie die Fundamente des sechseckigen Hauptturms im Süden der Anlage. Der sich an dieser Stelle heute erhebende 28 Meter hohe Bergfried wurde um 1400 erbaut und besitzt einen sich anschließenden Treppen- und Abortturm.

Im Zusammenhang mit der Erbauung der Stadtmauer von Oberlahnstein nach 1324 wurde auch die Martinsburg erweitert. Sie bildete den südwestlichen Eckpunkt der Stadtbefestigung. Zur Stadt hin wurde die Niederungsburg mit einem Wassergraben und einem festen Tor gesichert, an dem noch heute ein Gusserker sichtbar ist. Aus derartigen über das Burgtor herausragenden Bauteilen konnten Angreifer mit heißem Pech oder Öl begossen werden. Die Befestigung zur Stadt hin war notwendig, da diese von Feinden erobert werden konnte und die Burg dann letzter Zufluchtsort für die Mainzer Amtleute blieb. Aber auch eine Erhebung der Stadtbevölkerung gegen ihre bischöflich-kurfürstlichen Herren war nicht unbedingt ausgeschlossen. Als Stadtburg des wirtschaftlich aufstrebenden Oberlahnsteins beherbergte sie den Zollschreiber und das Zollpersonal, Pförtner und Turmwächter sowie weiteres Hilfspersonal.

Die Wasserburg wurde nie zerstört, doch bis zum Ende ihrer Zugehörigkeit zu Kurmainz im Jahre 1803 durch An- und Umbauten verändert. So wurde bereits im 14. Jahrhundert der Nordwestflügel hinzugefügt, dem 1497 der heutige Südostflügel folgte. In den Jahren 1719 bis 1721 wurde dann die seinerzeit noch bestehende, rheinseitig gelegene Lücke zwischen mittelalterlichem Wohnturm und Bergfried durch einen dreistöckigen Mittelbau im Stil des Barock geschlossen.

Als gelegentliche Nebenresidenz der Mainzer Kurfürsten konnte Schloss Martinsburg die Burg Lahneck seit dem Ausgang des Mittelalters in der Bedeutung weit hinter sich zurücklassen.
Denkmalschutz

Das Schloss Martinsburg ist ein geschütztes Kulturdenkmal nach dem Denkmalschutzgesetz (DSchG) und in der Denkmalliste des Landes Rheinland-Pfalz eingetragen. Es liegt in der Schloßstraße 1.

Seit 2002 ist das Schloss Martinsburg Teil des UNESCO-Welterbes Oberes Mittelrheintal. Des Weiteren ist es ein geschütztes Kulturgut nach der Haager Konvention und mit dem blau-weißen Schutzzeichen gekennzeichnet."

EN (Translation using google)
"Schloss Martinsburg, or Martinsburg, is a castle in Lahnstein, built in 1298 as the customs castle of the archbishops of Mainz and originally named Burg Lahnstein One of the few undestroyed castles on the Middle Rhine, it is now privately owned and houses apartments, offices, a carnival museum and a mint.

story

The Martinsburg was built at the end of the 13th century as a base for the exercise of Mainz customs rights. Since 1292, the Electoral and Archdiocese of Mainz had secured shares in the Boppard Reichszoll with the permission of King Adolf von Nassau. Since the Kurmainz castle Lahneck rose some distance from the Rhine on a hill, a solid building was built directly on the Rhine, which should secure the customs collection. Probably stood in this place to monitor shipping as early as the mid-13th century, a fortified building, which was mentioned in 1244 documentary.

The oldest parts of the castle form a rectangular residential tower, which is provided with two corner towers, as well as the foundations of the hexagonal main tower in the south of the complex. The 28-meter-high donjon built at this point today was built around 1400 and has a subsequent staircase and abort tower.

In connection with the construction of the city wall of Oberlahnstein after 1324, the Martinsburg was extended. It formed the southwest corner of the city fortification. Towards the city, the low castle was secured with a moat and a fixed gate, on which a Gusserker is still visible today. From such outstanding over the castle gate components attackers could be watered with hot pitch or oil. The attachment to the city was necessary because it could be conquered by enemies and the castle then remained the last refuge for the Mainz officials. But a survey of the city population against their episcopal electoral lords was not necessarily excluded. As the city castle of the economically uplifting Oberlahnsteins, it housed the customs clerk and the customs staff, gatekeepers and tower guards as well as other auxiliary staff.

The moated castle was never destroyed, but changed until the end of their affiliation to Kurmainz in 1803 by additions and conversions. Thus, the northwest wing was added in the 14th century, followed in 1497 today's southeast wing. In the years 1719 to 1721 then the then existing, rhine-side gap between medieval tower and dungeon was closed by a three-storey central building in the style of the Baroque.

As an occasional secondary residence of the Electors of Mainz, Schloss Martinsburg has been able to leave the Lahneck Castle far behind in its significance since the end of the Middle Ages.
listed

The castle Martinsburg is a protected cultural monument after the monument protection law (DSchG) and registered in the monument list of the country Rhineland-Palatinate. It is located in Schloßstraße 1.

Since 2002, the castle Martinsburg is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Upper Middle Rhine Valley. Furthermore, it is a protected cultural property according to the Hague Convention and marked with the blue and white protection mark. "
Address:
Schloßstraße 1 56112 Lahnstein


Web URL to relevant information: [Web Link]

Artist: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photos of the building and a piece of art (minimum 1).
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Frieze Art
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
CADS11 visited Schloss Martinsburg - Lahnstein, RLP / Germany 3/16/2020 CADS11 visited it