La Croix du Castellas - Barjols, Paca, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YvesProvence
N 43° 33.327 E 006° 00.784
32T E 258738 N 4826834
Quick Description: La Croix du Castellas,, au dessus de Barjols
Location: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Date Posted: 2/4/2018 12:21:07 PM
Waymark Code: WMXNTX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Iris & Harry
Views: 2

Long Description:
FR Le Castellas, c'est un point de vue remarquable à 360°...le massif de la Sainte Beaume...la montagne de Sainte Victoire...et une vue magnifique sur Barjols...

Mais également une histoire...la Croix du Castellas que nous allons vous conter...

La première Croix du Castellas était en bois et avait été érigée vers les années 1768-1790 ("en direction du sud s'élève le Castellas, au sommet duquel est érigée une croix en bois s'offrant au regard des frères, y compris ceux qui passent leur temps dans leur cellule").
Les années, les intempéries eurent raison de la Croix en bois et, plus d'un siècle plus tard en 1915, une seconde Croix en fer fut construite. Celle-ci, minée par la rouille et battue par le puissant Mistral gisait en 1962 sur l'étroit promontoire du petit pic de ce quartier vigie de Barjols ''le Castellas'' . Cette même année, un incendie vint lécher la carcasse vaincue de la Croix ( Mr Bagarry - Var Matin).
Mais quelque chose manquait dans le paysage barjolais et ce ''quelque chose'' faisait dire aux exilés, passé le col du Camp de Primond : "cette fois nous y sommes, regarde on aperçoit la Croix, au-dessous c'est Barjols".

Le 19 août 1964, "ce quelque chose" renaissait dans le décor barjolais, grâce à trois jeunes dynamiques barjolais: Alain Demirdjian, et les frères Canova Pierre et André. L'un d'entre eux, revenant du service militaire, n'apercevant plus de sa fenêtre la Croix du Castellas, proposa aux deux autres....de la ''remonter'' !
Aussitôt dit, aussitôt fait et le Père Barbéris, ravi, accepta la proposition...qu'il n'espérait presque plus. ''je paie la ferraille dit-il''. Mr Labegorre proposa son atelier et ses machines pour scier, ajuster, souder, boulonner, peindre, les trois parties de la Croix qui mesure 6 m de hauteur et 3 m de large.
On fit appelle à un artificier pour creuser dans la roche un trou d'une profondeur supérieure à 1 m. On transporta les trois parties avec l'aide d'un tracteur et la Croix fut assemblée sur place.
A l'intérieur du socle en ciment, un manuscrit enfermé dans un tube en verre indique la date et le nom des ''constructeurs''.

Selon le souhait du Père Barbéris, la Croix fut érigée le 19 août 1964, date du vingtième anniversaire de la libération de Barjols.
En 2014, pour le cinquantenaire, nos trois ''compagnons'' décidèrent bénévolement et avec leurs deniers de restaurer la Croix métallique particulièrement exposée aux violents orages et aux coups de boutoir du Mistral, la fragilisant un peu plus chaque année.
Ainsi, par la belle matinée du 10 juillet 2014, nos trois amis retroussèrent leurs manches de chemise et à l’aide d’une nacelle prêtée gracieusement par la Mairie, entreprirent, avec l'aide de J.Bonhomme, les travaux : décapage, brossage et 2 couches de peinture.
Après deux jours de dur labeur la Croix retrouvait une seconde jeunesse…Toute notre gratitude et toutes nos félicitations à nos généreux serviteurs.
EN The Castellas is a remarkable 360 ??° point of view ... the Sainte Beaume massif ... the Sainte Victoire mountain ... and a magnificent view of Barjols ...

But also a story ... the Croix du Castellas that we will tell you ...

The first Cross of Castellas was made of wood and was erected around the years 1768-1790 ("towards the south rises the Castellas, at the top of which is erected a wooden cross offering itself to the eyes of the brothers, including those who spend their time in their cell ").
The years, bad weather was right of the wooden Cross and, more than a century later in 1915, a second iron Cross was built. This one, undermined by the rust and beaten by the powerful Mistral lay in 1962 on the narrow headland of the small peak of this quarter vigil of Barjols '' the Castellas ''. That same year, a fire came to lick the vanquished carcass of the Cross (Mr Bagarry - Var Matin).
But something was missing in the landscape of Barjolais and this '' something '' made say to the exiles, past the pass of the Camp of Primal: "this time we are there, look we see the Cross, below it" is Barjols ".

On August 19, 1964, "this something" was reborn in the baroque setting, thanks to three young dynamic Barjolais: Alain Demirdjian, and the brothers Canova Pierre and André. One of them, returning from the military service, not seeing from his window the Croix du Castellas, proposed to the other two .... to "go back"!
No sooner said than done, and Father Barberis, delighted, accepted the proposal ... which he had almost no hope of. "I pay for scrap," he says. Mr. Labegorre proposed his workshop and his machines for sawing, adjusting, welding, bolting, painting, the three parts of the Cross which measures 6 m in height and 3 m wide.
An artificer was called to dig a hole in the rock deeper than 1 m. The three parts were transported with the help of a tractor and the cross was assembled on the spot.
Inside the cement base, a manuscript enclosed in a glass tube indicates the date and the name of the "builders".

According to the wish of Father Barbéris, the Cross was erected on August 19, 1964, date of the twentieth anniversary of the liberation of Barjols.
In 2014, for the fiftieth anniversary, our three "companions" decided voluntarily and with their money to restore the Metallic Cross particularly exposed to the violent thunderstorms and thrusts of the Mistral, weakening it a little more each year. So, on the beautiful morning of July 10, 2014, our three friends rolled up their shirt sleeves and with the aid of a basket loaned gracefully by the City Council, undertook, with the help of J.Bonhomme, the works : stripping, brushing and 2 coats of paint.
After two days of hard work the Cross found a second youth ... All our gratitude and congratulations to our generous servants.


Source : http://www.barjols.tanniou.com/castellas1401.htm
Type of cross: Latin cross

Material used: Metal (steel, bronze, aluminium, ...)

Characteristics of this cross:
The Cross is 6 m high and 3 m wide. It overlooks the city of Barjols.


Describe the location:
The town is 270 m while the Castellas where the cross stands is 329 m, on a hill


Year of manufacture: 8/19/1964

Is this cross commemorative ?: Yes

Visit Instructions:
Post at least one photograph of this cross.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Christian Crosses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.