1930s F. J. Werner Gas Station -- Cibolo TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Benchmark Blasterz
N 29° 33.618 W 098° 13.604
14R E 574906 N 3270314
Quick Description: This very large gas station in a very small town was probably built as large is it was to serve the extra folks driving along the OST in downtown Cibolo TX
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 2/4/2018 5:31:48 AM
Waymark Code: WMXNQ1
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member the federation
Views: 3

Long Description:
This large gas station with garage bays and room for multiple gas pumps was obviously built by F. J. Werner (a leading citizen of Cibolo and former school trustee) to capture traffic going to San Antonio along the OST.

In 2018 the former Werner gas station has been renovated into the Advanced Solar and Electric showroom. The original 1930s-style gas pumps, long removed and discarded, have been replaced with period-inspired replicas to complement this revitalizing downtown.

Once on the OST, Cibolo's Main Street is for the most part unchanged from the time that the first OST auto tourists rolled through town on what was then The Seguin Highway/OST, and is today the Seguin road/FM 78. The original route of the OST through Cibolo was along what is now the FM 539 Loop, after SH 78 was re-routed as a bypass road around town in the 1990s to avoid street lights.

See the PDF of the complete 1925 OST brochure embedded in a news story from the San Antonio Express News here, for proof that OST passed through Cibolo on the Seguin Highway: (visit link)

This gas station was built MUCH larger than it would have needed to be if it was only intended to serve the residents of Cibolo Texas, a rural hamlet of a 250 folks in the 1940 census. It;s obviously larger because it intended to serve OST tourists and traffic heading into San Antonio, to the west. Source: The Handbook of Texas Online (visit link)

"CIBOLO, TEXAS (Guadalupe County). Cibolo is on Farm Road 78 and Cibolo Creek, sixteen miles west of Seguin in western Guadalupe County. Cíbolo is Spanish for "buffalo." The banks of Cibolo Creek are quite steep, and along its entire course, which is the boundary between Guadalupe and Bexar counties, there are few places where pioneers could find a safe crossing before the development of bridges. It is said that Indians stampeded buffalo over the banks to disable them so they could be slaughtered. Jacob Schlather bought land in the area in 1867, and his son George built a store to supply neighboring settlers, who were mostly German. The store was sold to Charles Fromme in 1882, and the settlement became known as Fromme's Store. When the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway built through the area in 1877 the station was called Cibolo Valley. A post office called Cibolo opened in 1883. By 1890 the community had a church, a cotton gin, a general store, and 100 residents.

The Cibolo Valley school had one teacher and thirty-one students in 1904. O. Henry's (see PORTER, WILLIAM SYDNEY) story "The Smiling Valley of the Cibolo" was supposedly inspired by a visit to the area. In 1914 a second frame school building was constructed to accommodate the growing number of students. In 1916 the voters approved a bond for a new high school. The trustees, F. J. Werner, George Schlather, and Alfred Sahm, contracted for a two-story brick structure. The first graduates of Cibolo High School received their diplomas in 1920. The census of 1940 recorded a post office, a bank, nine businesses, and a population of 250. When the town was incorporated in 1968 the population was 398. The major economic influences on Cibolo have been Randolph Air Force Base and the expansion of San Antonio. In the 1980s Cibolo grew dramatically along Interstate Highway 35, and many housing developments were planned. The town reported 657 residents in 1988, 1,757 in 1990, and 3,035 in 2000.

BIBLIOGRAPHY:
Willie Mae Weinert, An Authentic History of Guadalupe County (Seguin, Texas: Seguin Enterprise, 1951; rpt. 1976)."
Submission Criteria:

Period Culture


Website with More Information: [Web Link]

Address of Waymark:
105 W Loop 539/OST
Cibolo, TX


Visit Instructions:
When visiting a waymark, please take a picture that clearly shows the point of interest (feel free to include you and/or members of your group in the photo as well). Also, tell us about your experience at the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Old Spanish Trail Auto Route
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Benchmark Blasterz visited 1930s F. J. Werner Gas Station -- Cibolo TX 1/14/2018 Benchmark Blasterz visited it