By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Kloster Engental - Muttenz, BL, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 30.399 E 007° 39.156
32T E 398536 N 5262348
Quick Description: This boulder with a plaque is the last visible reamin of the convent of Engental south of Muttenz.
Location: Basel Landschaft, Switzerland
Date Posted: 1/19/2018 1:10:39 AM
Waymark Code: WMXJCX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Torgut
Views: 0

Long Description:
EN: The Cistercian nun convent of Engental was located at the edge of the forest a few kilometers south of Muttenz. The founding history is unknown. It is believed that it was built in the time of the Counts of Homburg in the 13th century. From about 1450 the monastery was subordinate to the abbot of the monastery Lützel. Probably about a dozen nuns lived in the monastery.

The monastery is mainly known because the well-known theologian and humanist Conradus Leontorius worked there from the year 1503 as a confessor and also died there in 1511. At the time of the Reformation in 1525, the monastery was looted by farmers and the nuns fled to the Catholic village Dittingen. After that, the monastery dissolved. In 1534, the last nuns handed over the land to the city of Basel. The buildings were abandoned and began to disintegrate. In the 18th century, there was little evidence left of the ruins.

In 1932, some walls were accidentally rediscovered. However, they were not systematically examined and only superficially documented.

DE: Das Zisterziensernonnenkloster von Engental befand sich am Waldrand einige Kilometer südlich von Muttenz. Die Gründungsgeschichte ist unbekannt. Man nimmt an, dass es aus der Zeit der Grafen von Homburg im 13. Jahrhundert stammte. Etwa ab 1450 unterstand das Kloster dem Abt des Klosters Lützel. Vermutlich lebten etwa ein Dutzend Nonnen in dem Kloster.

Bekannt ist das Kloster vor allem, weil der bekannte Theologo und Humanist Conradus Leontorius ab dem Jahr 1503 dort als Beichtvater wirkte und 1511 auch dort starb. Zur Zeit der Reformation wurde das Kloster 1525 von Bauern geplündert und die Nonnen flüchteten ins katholische Dittingen. Danach löste sich das Kloster auf. 1534 übergaben die letzten Nonnen den Grundbesitz der Stadt Basel. Die Gebäude waren verlassen und begannen zu zerfallen. Im 18. Jahrhundert war nur noch wenig von den Ruinen zu erkennen.

1932 wurden einige Mauern zufällig wieder entdeckt. Sie wurden aber nicht systematisch untersucht und nur oberflächlich dokumentiert.
Terrain:

Parking: Not Listed

Recommended access: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
  • At least one own photo of the place is required.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Remains of Settlements
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.