By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

St. Gangolf (Trier) - Rheinland-Pfalz / Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Iris & Harry
N 49° 45.374 E 006° 38.446
32U E 330075 N 5514198
Quick Description: Catholic Parish church in the city Trier, located behind a row of houses south of the main market.
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
Date Posted: 1/14/2018 2:59:00 AM
Waymark Code: WMXHA6
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 9

Long Description:
Seite „St. Gangolf (Trier)“. In: Wikipedia, Die freie Enzyklopädie. Bearbeitungsstand: 28. Oktober 2017, 08:08 UTC. URL: (visit link) (Abgerufen: 14. Januar 2018, 07:44 UTC) :

"St. Gangolf ist die dem heiligen Gangolf geweihte Markt- und Stadtpfarrkirche von Trier. Nach dem Trierer Dom ist sie der älteste Kirchenbau der Stadt. Sie befindet sich hinter einer Häuserreihe südlich des Hauptmarkts.

Geschichte

Die 958 errichtete erste Marktkirche wurde zwischen 1284 und 1344 durch einen Neubau ersetzt. Das heutige spätgotische Bauwerk ging aus einer um 1500 begonnenen Erneuerung hervor. Barocke Elemente wurden 1731 und 1746 hinzugefügt. Die Glasfenster von Charles Crodel führten 1966 die Elemente der verschiedenen Epochen in einem Gesamtbild zusammen.

Die Kirche ist von jeher fast vollständig von Häusern umgeben und nur die Ostseite grenzt beinahe an eine Straße (Grabenstraße), doch selbst hier sind ebenerdig niedrige Geschäftsbuden, im Volksmund „Gädemcher“ genannt, vorgebaut.

Der Haupteingang zur Kirche befindet sich im Fuß des Kirchturms und ist, genauso wie der Eingang im Seitenschiff, durch ein kleines Barocktor (1731/32 von dem Augustiner Josef Walter geschaffen) vom Trierer Hauptmarkt aus zu erreichen.

Orgel

Bereits zu Beginn des 17. Jahrhunderts hatte St. Gangolf eine einmanualige Orgel französisch-niederländischer Prägung, deren Erbauer unbekannt ist. 1829 wurde eine neue, zweimanualige Orgel im Barockstil eingeweiht, die von Franz Heinrich und Carl Stumm erbaut worden war. Diese Orgel wurde 1898 durch ein neues Instrument des Orgelbauers Breidenfeld ersetzt, das 1944 völlig zerstört wurde.

Die heutige Orgel auf der Westempore von St. Gangolf erbaute 1972 die Orgelbauwerkstatt Johannes Klais (Bonn). Das Instrument hat 35 Register (Schleifladen). Die Spieltrakturen sind mechanisch, die Registertrakturen elektrisch.

Turm

Anfang des 14. Jahrhunderts entstanden die ersten vier Geschosse des Westturms. 1507 kamen dank einer Stiftung der Bürgermeisterwitwe Adelheid von Beßlich die beiden oberen Stockwerke mit der Turmgalerie und den vier kleinen Ecktürmchen hinzu. Da der Westturm mit seinen 62 Meter Höhe die Türme des Trierer Doms überragte, ließ Erzbischof Richard von Greiffenklau den Südturm des Doms aufstocken.

Glocken

Unter den Glocken von St. Gangolf ist die so genannte Lumpenglocke am bekanntesten. 1475 von Nicolaus von Ene gegossen,[3] schlägt sie jeden Abend um 22:00 Uhr und erhielt wie auch andernorts ihren Namen, weil sie früher die abendliche Sperrstunde einläutete. Die Glocke gehört so sehr in die Trierer Lokalkultur, dass ihr Klang sogar in der ersten Radiosendung aus Trier am 16. Juni 1930 über den Äther des Frankfurter Senders ging.

Außerdem beherbergt St. Gangolf die Glocke „Zündel“, eine aus dem Mittelalter stammende Feuerglocke. Die zwei Türmer der Stadt hatten im Brandfall die Aufgabe, tagsüber mit einer Fahne und nachts mit einer Laterne in Richtung des Feuers zu weisen. Der letzte Türmer arbeitete hier bis 1905.[2] Zusätzlich hängen im Turm noch vier weitere läutbare Glocken: die Marien-, die Josefs-, die St.-Barbara- und die St.-Paulinus-Glocke. Die Kirchturmuhr hat noch drei kleine, hellklingende Glocken, die zusammen einen Moll-Akkord ergeben. Die Schlagtöne des Gesamtgeläutes sind h°, cis', e', fis' und gis'.

Friedhof

Auf dem kleinen Priesterfriedhof von St. Gangolf ist neben anderen der Priester und Publizist Georg Friedrich Dasbach beigesetzt, nachdem seine sterblichen Überreste 1959 vom Städtischen Friedhof aus dorthin umgebettet worden waren. Gestorben war er am 11. Oktober 1907 in Bonn. Im Jahr 1875 hatte Dasbach unter anderem das Sanct-Paulinus-Blatt gegründet, die heutige Bistumszeitung Paulinus."

EN translation by google:

"St. Gangolf is the market and parish church of Trier, dedicated to St. Gangolf, the oldest church in the city after Trier Cathedral, behind a row of houses south of the main market.

History

The first market church built in 958 was replaced by a new building between 1284 and 1344. Today's late-Gothic building emerged from a renewal begun around 1500. Baroque elements were added in 1731 and 1746. The glass windows of Charles Crodel in 1966 brought the elements of different epochs together in an overall picture.

The church has always been almost completely surrounded by houses, and only the east side is almost on a street (Grabenstraße), but even here are low-rise, low-rise business buildings, popularly called "Gädemcher" called.

The main entrance to the church is located at the foot of the church tower and is, like the entrance in the aisle, through a small baroque gate (1731/32 created by the Augustinian Josef Walter) from Trier main market to reach.

Organ

Already at the beginning of the 17th century St. Gangolf had a one-manual organ of French-Dutch character whose builder is unknown. In 1829, a new, two-manual Baroque-style organ was inaugurated, built by Franz Heinrich and Carl Stumm. This organ was replaced in 1898 by a new instrument by the organ builder Breidenfeld, which was completely destroyed in 1944.

The present organ on the western gallery of St. Gangolf built in 1972 the organ workshop Johannes Klais (Bonn). The instrument has 35 registers (sanding shop). The Spieltrakturen are mechanical, the register fractures electrically.

Tower

At the beginning of the 14th century, the first four floors of the west tower were built. In 1507, thanks to a donation from the mayor's widow Adelheid von Besslich, the two upper floors with the tower gallery and the four small corner turrets were added. Since the west tower towered 62 meters high, the towers of the Trier Cathedral, Archbishop Richard von Greiffenklau had the south tower of the cathedral increase.

Bell

Amongst the bells of St. Gangolf, the so-called lump bell is the best known. Cast by Nicolaus von Ene in 1475, she beats every night at 10:00 pm and, as elsewhere, received her name because she used to start the evening curfew. The bell is so much in the Trier local culture that their sound even went on the first radio broadcast from Trier on June 16, 1930 on the ether of the Frankfurt station.

In addition, St. Gangolf houses the bell "Zündel", a fire bell from the Middle Ages. The two towers of the city had in case of fire, the task during the day with a flag and at night with a lantern in the direction of the fire to point. The last Türmer worked here until 1905. In addition, there are four more bells ringing in the tower: the St. Mary's, St. Joseph, St. Barbara's and St. Pauline's. The church clock has three small, light-sounding bells, which together make up a minor chord. The beats of the total bells are h °, cis ', e', fis 'and gis'.

Graveyard

On the small priest cemetery of St. Gangolf, among others, the priest and journalist Georg Friedrich Dasbach buried, after his remains had been reburied in 1959 from the municipal cemetery there. He died on October 11, 1907 in Bonn. In 1875 Dasbach had founded, among other things, the Sanct-Paulinus-Blatt, today's diocese Paulinus.
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1344

Age of Church building determined by?: Other reliable source

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Catholic

Street address of Church:
St. Gangolf
Hauptmarkt 13
Trier, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany
54290


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Kladings visited St. Gangolf (Trier) - Rheinland-Pfalz / Germany 12/4/2018 Kladings visited it
gemeloj visited St. Gangolf (Trier) - Rheinland-Pfalz / Germany 9/22/2018 gemeloj visited it
GeoLog81 visited St. Gangolf (Trier) - Rheinland-Pfalz / Germany 5/11/2018 GeoLog81 visited it
dreamhummie visited St. Gangolf (Trier) - Rheinland-Pfalz / Germany 1/21/2018 dreamhummie visited it
CADS11 visited St. Gangolf (Trier) - Rheinland-Pfalz / Germany 1/15/2018 CADS11 visited it
Hi-Bye visited St. Gangolf (Trier) - Rheinland-Pfalz / Germany 6/23/2012 Hi-Bye visited it

View all visits/logs