L'Eglise Notre-Dame de la Nativité - Ducos, Martinique
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 14° 34.573 W 060° 58.532
20P E 718107 N 1612424
[EN] Built first in 1877, destroyed by the cyclone of 1891 and rebuilt in 1901, it resists the cyclone of 1903. [FR] Construite une première fois en 1877, détruite par le cyclone de 1891 puis reconstruite en 1901, elle résiste au cyclone de 1903.
Waymark Code: WMXD47
Location: Martinique
Date Posted: 12/29/2017
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
Views: 2

Ducos has only a modest wooden chapel, when in 1857 the city council agreed to build a church instead.

A mahogany bench of honor is first laid for the choir, new altars including that of the patron saint of Ducos the Virgin Mother are installed then chairs and a support for the communion table.

The church destroyed by the cyclone of 1891 is the subject of a reconstruction entrusted to the Architect Henri PICQ from 1892 to 1899. Unfinished, the church is nevertheless blessed and delivered in 1901.

Fr. MIQUEL, parish priest at the time, began to complete the work of the new structure of 750 m2 which is the one we know today.

The ravages of a new cyclone in 1903 led Martin NARDAL, the chief engineer of the Martinique bridges and roadway, to rebuild the sacristy and the roof.

In 1940, the church was enlarged, the parish hall, the cave and the sacristy were built.

The bells were refurbished and electrified. The surrounding areas were laid out, pavements cemented on the forecourt, the ceiling painted and the altars redone and moved.

It is the 09 April 2002, under the impetus of the current municipality that the arrow will find its place under the watchful eyes of the population.

Sources : The Church

Photo goes Here

Ducos ne possède qu’une modeste chapelle en bois, lorsqu’en 1857, le conseil municipal accepte de construire à la place une église.

Un banc d‘honneur en acajou est d’abord posé pour le chœur, des autels neufs dont celui de la Sainte patronne de Ducos la Vierge mère sont installés puis des chaises et un appui pour la table de communion.

L’église détruite par le cyclone de 1891 fait l’objet d’une reconstruction confiée à l’Architecte Henri PICQ de 1892 à 1899. Inachevée, l’église est pourtant bénite et livrée en 1901.

Monsieur l’abbé MIQUEL, curé à l’époque s’attacha à achever les travaux de la nouvelle structure de 750 m2 qui est celle que nous connaissons aujourd’hui.

Les ravages d’un nouveau cyclone en 1903 conduisent l’Ingénieur chef des ponts et chaussée martiniquais, Paul NARDAL, à reconstruire la sacristie et la toiture.

En 1940, on procéda à l’agrandissement de l’église, à la construction de la salle paroissiale, de la grotte et de la sacristie.

Les cloches furent remises à neuf et électrifiées. Les abords ont été aménagés, des dallages cimentés sur le parvis, le plafond peint et ravalé les autels refaits et déplacés.

C’est le 09 avril 2002, sous l’impulsion de la municipalité actuelle que la flèche retrouvera sa place sous les yeux attentifs de la population.

Sources : L’Eglise

Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of building construction: 01/01/1901

Diocese: Saint-Pierre et Fort-de-France

Address/Location:
rue Edgard Dumauze
Ducos, Martinique
97224


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Date of organization: Not listed

Dominant Architectural Style: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited L'Eglise Notre-Dame de la Nativité - Ducos, Martinique 03/23/2017 pmaupin visited it