Woman's Club of Starke - Starke, FL
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
N 29° 56.701 W 082° 06.573
17R E 392924 N 3313210
Quick Description: The Woman's Club of Starke is located in downtown Starke, Florida.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 12/28/2017 5:56:35 PM
Waymark Code: WMXCYR
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member BarbershopDru
Views: 3

Long Description:
A historical marker in front of the building provides the following information:

"The Woman’s Club of Starke, formerly known as the Mother’s Club, was founded in the late 19th century and held its meetings in the Bradford County High School. Their purpose was to assist the Bradford County High School. Only mothers were accepted as active members with teachers as honorary members. One of their earliest projects was furnishing a room in the school or a library and a study for the principal. They also provided students with books and clothing and hired a janitor to do maintenance. In 1913, the Mother’s Club reorganized and changed its name to the Woman’s Club of Starke. One year later, after the school moved to a different site, the Woman’s Club began using the school building as its headquarters. In 1917, with the approach of World War I, the building was turned over to the Red Cross. Club women made hospital blankets, Christmas kits for troops and shipped clothing to allies. In 1921, the Board of Education gave the school building to the Woman’s Club, at which time it was remodeled. Some of the lumber from the original structure was used in the new construction. The new craftsman/bungalow building opened on November 3, 1922. Projects undertaken in the 1920s by the Woman’s Club included a drive to remove cows from the streets, development of a city park and municipal suffrage. The Bradford County Library used portions of the building and in 1936 was the first county library in Florida allowed to borrow books from the State Library in Tallahassee. Throughout World War II, the United Service Organization (USO) used the building as a clubhouse where the Army YMCA entertained soldiers who were stationed at nearby Camp Blanding. Opening in April 1941 they provided minstrels, radio programs, quiz games, card games, dances and vaudeville shows for the soldiers. Throughout its history, the Clubhouse has continued to serve as the community’s primary facility for social and cultural events. On April 18,1997, the Clubhouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and continues to serve as the Woman’s Club of Starke headquarters."
Date Created: 1/1/1913

Active Club?: Yes

Website Source: [Web Link]

Secondary Website Source: [Web Link]

Address:
201 North Walnut Street
Starke, FL USA
32091


Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a waymark, provide an image of the building. A GPS or visiting waymarker does not need to be in the frame, but it helps. Please include details of the experience.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Woman's Clubs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
hart612 visited Woman's Club of Starke - Starke, FL 8/29/2018 hart612 visited it