Tuncurry-Forster Ferry Crossing - Tuncurry, NSW
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Grahame Cookie
S 32° 10.781 E 152° 30.083
56H E 452994 N 6439538
Quick Description: This wooden framed, double sided Interpretative Sign beside Wallis Lake tells about the Ferry that plied the entrance of Wallis Lake.
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Date Posted: 12/5/2017 11:56:28 PM
Waymark Code: WMX72W
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Rigger64
Views: 2

Long Description:
The light blue sign has a few photos, that adds to the value of the information on this sign. It reads:

HISTORICAL SITE
Tuncurry-Forster Ferry Crossing

"* The first commercial ferry service across Wallis Lake commenced around 1890, when John Kennewell started a service using a row boat to ferry passengers across the lake.


Photo of horse swimming behind the ferry boat c1890-91

"* The second ferryman was an Englishman named Fred Clark. He used a row boat with sets of oars and encouraged his passengers to help row in order to speed up the journey. Unfortunately, no dates are available to determine the time and length of this service. Similarly, no dates are available for the service provided by the third ferryman Mr Algie.

"* From December 1905, John James Newman took over the ferry service for a three year term for £100. On 23 February 1906 (prior to the incorporation of the Shire Councils) he entered into an agreement as collector under the Tolls Act, working two rowboats.


"Kelvin Glen" with passengers, pushing 'two car' punt, c1922

"* Charles Wilson took over from John Newman on 18 April 1908 for £300 per annum. He had to supply an oil launch with engine capacity to carry 20 passengers.

"* Charles Wilson sold out to W L Paske on 1 March 1909 for £380 per annum who carried on until January 1914 when William Fraser took over for and amount of £460 per annum.

"* Bill Belton took over from William Fraser on 4 March 1917 for £522 per annum. He operated the service with a launch called "Orita" for five years.


Photo Charlie Blows driving the "Kelvin Glen" August 1933

"* The ferry service was taken over on 4 March 1922, when Charles A Blows undercut Bill Belton's tender with an amount of £519 per annum. Blows introduced the first vehicular ferry across Wallis Lake when he had a small punt built by Dave Williams and used a boat to push the punt. The punt cost £1,125 paid for by Manning Shore Council and the Main Roads Board. Charlie Blows used half cabbage trees to form the approaches on either side of the lake.


Two car ferry and the "Pacific"

* Fred Parsons took over the ferry service from Charlie blows in October 1933 for £750 per annum. From this time, both Manning and Stroud Shire Councils called for alterations to the ferry punt to carry four cars. During Fred Parson's term as ferryman, the punt was slipped by Henry Miles, who added one metre to the width after splitting the punt up the centre.

* A six car punt entered the system in 1937, built by Frank Avery of Tuncurry for the Department of Main Roads. The "Pacific" struggled with the four car punt and the new six car punt added to the burden.

[Natural Heritage Trust; NSW Heritage Office; Great Lakes Council]


** The other side of the sign, (where you will be facing Wallis Lake and the Tuncurry-Forster bridge), reads:

HISTORICAL SITE
Tuncurry-Forster Ferry Crossing

(history continued on other side)


Photo of Ferry in action, c1940s

"* On 1 July 1940, Wiley R Gregory commenced the ferry service for an amount of £576 per annum. Dave Williams built a new style heavy duty low lone boat called "Britannia" which was used to push the punt. In 1946 an all weather passenger ferry was built by Alf Jahnsen for Wiley Gregory and named "Alma G" after Gregory's wife. Two yeas later a second launch was built and named "Alma G II".


Wallis Lake and "Alma G II" - c1949

"* On 1 June 947 the vehicular ferry service was taken over by Mr H W Cooke who operated the service for two years. The Gregorys continued to operate the passenger ferry.

"C A Blows and Sons (Charlie, Colin and Warren) won the contract to operate the ferry from 15 June 1949. They purchased the "Britannia" from Mr Cooke, but then had Alf Jahnsen build a new launch named "Monterey". The Blows operated the ferry punt until 18 July 1959 when the Forster-Tuncurry Bridge was opened.


"Monterey" c1952


Wallis Lake and Bridge in construction c1958

* 	THE FERRYMEN
John Kennewell: 	c1890-91
Fred Clark: 		Dates unknown
Mr Algie: 		Dates unknown
John James Newman: 	December 1905 - April 1908
Charles Wilson: 	April 1908 - March 1909
W L Paske: 		March 1909 - January 1914
William Fraser: 	January 1914 - March 1917
Bill Belton: 		March 1917 - March 1922
Charles A Blows		March 1922 - October 1933
Fred Parsons		October 1933 - July 1940
Wiley R Gregory		July 1940 - June 1947
H W Cooke		June 1947 - June 1949
C A Blows & Sons	June 1949 - July 1959
[Natural Heritage Trust; NSW Heritage Office; Great Lakes Council]

As mentioned, this sign is right beside the entrance of Wallis Lake, while you are reading this side transcribed above, you have a great view of the Tuncurry-Forster bridge.

Access: The sign can be reached 24/7, though sometimes there is limited nearby parking.

Visited: 1507, Friday, 12 August, 2016
Age/Event Date: 1890; 1905; 1908; 1909; 1940; 1946; 1947; 1949; 1959

Type of Historic Marker: Plaque only

Historic Resources.:
Natural Heritage Trust NSW Heritage Office MidCoast Council (previously Great Lakes Council) Great Lakes Museum


Type of Historic Marker if other: Not listed

Related Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please submit your visiting log with a picture of the object. Also include some interesting information about your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Australian Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.