By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Downtown Marker - 150 years - Viola, Illinois
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 41° 12.186 W 090° 35.148
15T E 702421 N 4564113
Quick Description: The vacant downtown - widows boarded up - and art and memorial on those windows
Location: Illinois, United States
Date Posted: 11/28/2017 6:24:42 AM
Waymark Code: WMX52Q
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member TeamBPL
Views: 1

Long Description:

County of memorial: Mercer County
Location of marker: 17th Ave., & 14th St., Viola

Text on marker:

1856 - 150 years - 2006
celebrating yesterday
JULY 28-29-30

"At the February meeting, 1861, of the Board of Supervisors. Town 38, Range 1, was formed into a township by the name of Stockton, having theretofore been a part of Brooklyn Township. This name was selected in recognition of the large amount of stock then being raised in the town. The name was changed to Viola, some time during the following spring or early summer, because of the fact that there was already at least one town by the name of Stockton in the State.

"The first officers of the town were chosen at the April town meeting, 1861. Fifty two ballots were cast, resulting in the election of Samuel L. Butler for Supervisor; Simeon Cole, Assessor; Samuel Vosburg, Town Clerk; John Melugin. Constable: Ford and Moses B. Van Campen. Highway Commissioners. The meeting and election were held at Van Campen's house.

"Little Melugin Grove, in the southeast part of the town, was the focus of early settlement. William Guthrie, the first settler in the township. settled here in 1834 or 1836 and gave his name to the grove. It was also sometimes known as Lawton's Grove, from William Lawton, one of the early comers. Guthrie's buildings were placed at the extreme south end of the timber. Melugin Grove, lying southwest of Little Melugin, spreads itself into the two towns of Viola and Brooklyn. It took its name from Zachariah Melugin. who located in the grove but on the Brooklyn side of the timber. in 1834. Later came Evins Adrian. but prior to 1840. Walter Little came to the township about the year 1837.

"It is claimed that the first marriage in the township was that of Evins Adrian to Manila Goodale, October, 1840: that Walter Little was the first adult to die in the township, and that the first birth was that of a child of 'William Lawton, who died in infancy.

"The first school in the township was kept at the house of M. Van Campen for three terms. and the first school house was built at Little Melugin Grove.

"The town being purely agricultural without a village center, little is to be gleaned of historical character regarding it. Its history is to be traced in the development and increasing value of its farm lands, which is difficult of reduction to details. Its land owners have been large participants in the drainage of Inlet Swamp, elsewhere noticed, and have received great benefits therefrom.

"The population of the township was 598 in 1890. and 694 in 1900, as shown by the Government census." ~ Encyclopedia of Illinois

Subject: Town

Commemoration: 150 years

Date of Founding: 1856

Date of Commemoration: 2006

1320 17th Ave., Viola, IL 61486

Overview Photograph:


Detail Photograph:


Web site if available: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
  • Artistic Photograph of Location. Make it from a new angle to show something new. Pictures can include interaction, as that is encouraged, but should be done so with the thought of inspiring further visitation of the area. No GPSr Pictures, unless there is something significant to show about the coordinates.
  • In your description, tell us something new you learned about the area and your impressions of the waymark.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Community Commemoration
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.