By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Old Chapel -- University of Mississippi, Oxford MS
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Benchmark Blasterz
N 34° 21.944 W 089° 32.061
16S E 266938 N 3805620
Quick Description: The state historic marker in front of the Old Chapel, one of the early buildings at the University of Mississippi, shares its history as a field hospital Union and Confederate soldiers after the Battle of Shiloh
Location: Mississippi, United States
Date Posted: 11/5/2017 1:11:41 PM
Waymark Code: WMWZQT
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Outspoken1
Views: 0

Long Description:
The old Chapel is located on The Circle, not too far from the Grove, near the entrance to the University of Mississippi and within a short walk of the Lyceum building.

The state historic marker at The Old Chapel reads as follows:

"THE OLD CHAPEL

The Old Chapel was originally constructed in 1853 as a dormitory. Its design was later modified to include a large hall for student assemblies, commencement exercises, and meeting rooms for literary societies and student organizations. During the Civil War the Old Chapel was used to house wounded soldiers following the Battle of Shiloh in 1862. Also known as the “Y” or the “Old Y,” the Old Chapel was the assembly Hall of the YMCA for many years.

Mississippi Department of Archives and History, 2011"
Address:
The Old Chapel The Circle University of Mississippi Oxford MS


Name of War: US Civil War

Type of Documentation: Historic Marker/Interpretive

Visit Instructions:
Take an original pic and write something interesting.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Field Hospitals
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Benchmark Blasterz visited Old Chapel -- University of Mississippi, Oxford MS 8/4/2017 Benchmark Blasterz visited it