Notts Firefighters Memorial - St Mary - Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 57.080 W 001° 08.616
30U E 624717 N 5868469
Quick Description: Dedicated to "Heroes with grimy faces", a quotation from Winston Churchill referring to Firemen and Women during the Blitz. Unveiled by H.R.H The Princess Royal on 9th May 2013 in the Church Yard of St. Mary's Church, Nottingham.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 11/5/2017 1:53:02 AM
Waymark Code: WMWZJX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 1

Long Description:
Dedicated to "Heroes with grimy faces", a quotation from Winston Churchill referring to Firemen and Women during the Blitz, the idea became a reality on 9th May 2013 when the memorial was unveiled by H.R.H The Princess Royal in the Church Yard of St. Mary's Church in the heart of the historic Lace Market area of Nottingham.

"The memorial to those who gave their life in the service of others as a member of the Fire and Rescue Services of the Second World War and in the subsequent years was unveiled on May 9th 2013 by Her Royal Highness the Princess Royal. The Unveiling coincided with the 72nd anniversary of one of the most severe bombing raids suffered by Nottingham during world War II. This raid took many civilian lives including some of those commemorated by the memorial.
The roof of St. Mary's was set on fire during this raid and it is thanks to the brave and selfless efforts of two National Fire Service Firemen that this beautiful building was saved. Some of their recolections of that fire are recorded below in the "History of St Mary's". Both survived the War and became members of the Nottingham City Fire Brigade once the National Fire Service was disbanded and responsibility returned to local authorities.

It is thought that a church has stood at this location since Saxon times. The Domesday Survey in 1086 makes mention of its presence and the current church, at least the third to be built on the site, can be dated back to 1370. St Mary’s is constructed in the Perpendicular style. The building is in the shape of a Latin cross with a tower at the crossing of the nave, transepts and chancel, with huge windows, delicate tracery, and slender ribbed pillars. The exterior is richly decorated with gargoyles, carved heads and animals. It is typical of the great churches constructed in the 14th and 15th centuries. Internally, there are fine examples of Victorian woodwork by George Gilbert Scott and by Bodley & Garner. St Mary’s is one of the key buildings in the city of Nottingham; it is Grade 1listed and the oldest and largest of the five medieval buildings in the city. In 1140, Nottingham was pillaged by a raiding Army commanded by the Earl of Gloucester. The church was set on fire and destroyed.

In 1171, the town was sacked again, and the rebuilt church was once more ravaged by fire. For several years from 1716, the church was used to house the town fire engine. It was kept at the west end, and was still there until at least 1770. In 1941 St Mary’s had its third brush with fire when an incendiary bomb set ablaze the roof of the south transept. Fireman Chris Raybould recorded that he and Reg Miller had great difficulty in dealing with the fire high up in the roof timbers as they lacked a fire hose which were in short supply, and there was a lack of water pressure. They eventually used a trailer pump and put out the fire but he described the church as “being ringed with fire”. Throughout its history the fate of St Mary’s Church has been inextricably linked with fire and those who fight it, having been set alight three times, and then housing the town fire engine, it has a certain resonance with the Firefighting community, making it a most fitting home for the Nottinghamshire Firefighters Memorial.

The Story of the Stone

Our stone began its journey as a 1.3 tonne lump of rough York stone, hewn from a quarry near Leeds.
It was transported to a plant in Cambridge where it was cut into its finished shape. From there it travelled to Nottingham, where it was entrusted to a Master cutter whose 45 years’ experience is evident in the quality of the finish, he has spent some 300 hours skilfully hand cutting each letter into the four faces and plinths of the monument, before infilling each letter with black enamel by hand. The names of the fallen are recorded on three sides of the stone according to the service they represented, the insignia of each service is hand cut into polished black Granite plaques and inlaid into the respective faces of the stone.
Before siting the stone, careful surveys of the ground had to be made to ensure there were no underground voids or burials, a concrete footing was then laid to provide a stable platform on which the memorial could be mounted."

SOURCE - (visit link)

Names on the memorial -
James Shelley
Herbert Hill
Ruth Willis
William Dainty
Clifford Fardon
Philip Smith
Ralph Burrows
Joseph Wright
Alan Day
Claude Martin
Cyril Theaker
Charles Gooding
Charles Brown
Dorothy Coulson
William Daykin
William Blackford
Henry Gill
John Addis
William Daubney
Frank Howman
Albert Keetley
George Morris
Eric Saunders
John Tyers
Albert Cooke
Alfred Sabin
John Bramman
Arthur Kirchin
Henry Offler
Edwin Freeman
William Birch
John Goldrick
Ronald Ross
Henry Swanwick
Frank Bennett
Albert Smith
Philip Hunsley
James Quickenden

Ref - (visit link)
Memorial Website: [Web Link]

Physical address:
St Mary's churchyard
40 High Pavement
Nottingham, Nottinghamshire England
NG1 1HN


Visit Instructions:
A clear image of your visit.
A brief description of your thoughts and feelings.
NO copyrighted images.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Firefighter Memorials
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.