Église Notre-Dame - Corme-Écluse, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 45° 37.858 W 000° 51.315
30T E 667172 N 5055283
Quick Description: [EN] The church of Notre-Dame is a church of Romanesque style Saintongeais located in Corme-Écluse in Saintonge [FR] L'église Notre-Dame est une église de style roman saintongeais située à Corme-Écluse en Saintonge
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 11/3/2017 1:57:04 PM
Waymark Code: WMWZB5
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member veritas vita
Views: 0

Long Description:

The Notre-Dame church of Corme-Écluse, seat of a former Benedictine priory of the Abbey of the Ladies of Saintes, is given around 1104 by Ramnulfus Focaudi (bishop of Saintes between 1083 and 1106), to the royal abbey of Saint-Jean-d'Angély "so that it always enjoy and has it in perpetuity". This abbey is therefore at the origin of the reconstruction of the sanctuary in the middle of the twelfth century in Romanesque style. On a plaque affixed to the south wall of the nave we find, still legible, some historical fragments:

1200, the Benedictines complete the construction and adorn the church with an oak statue of the Blessed Virgin; 1327, The abbot of Saint-Jean-d'Angely and an envoy of Pope John XXII pray before the venerated image; 1628, a pilgrimage is established to venerate the statue; 1763, the statue is mutilated. The profaner is chastised.

The plan of the church is slightly asymmetrical Latin cross (the north arm of the transept is longer than the south arm). The nave consists of two bays covered by broken barrel vaults. It is lit by three symbolic windows redone in the 13th century. A double arch separates the nave from the transept, whose cross, under the belfry, is covered with a dome on the horns. The south arm of the transept opens on a vaulted apiece in a cul-de-four. On the other hand, the North Arm, rebuilt in the seventeenth century in the Romanesque style, slightly longer than that of the south, is designed on a rectangular plan without an apse. This arm has a portal column and toric roller. After passing the triumphal arch, the choir begins with a straight span covered with a semicircular cradle and ends with a hemicycle vaulted in a cul-de-four.

The church suffered little damage during the Hundred Years War and the Wars of Religion. From the end of the eighteenth century, maintenance work is undertaken mainly inside the church. In 1822, the rebuilding of the belfry frame was launched, then in 1852, it is the resumption of the west facade. A new restoration takes place around 1860, the sacristy is enlarged by the construction of a semicircular annex in the extension of the Romanesque apse.

Beginning in 1880, a campaign to repair the covers was started, then a new belfry was placed in the bell tower. From 1890 to 1900, the cemetery, which surrounded the church, was moved to the "Fief des Rentes" and the old burial place was thus transformed into a public square.

From 1926, the cover of the choir was replaced and the bell tower put out of water. In 1971, the program of work includes the cleaning of the external walls, the demolition of the false apse and the sacristy which masked the absidiole of the southern cross.

In 1990, it is the replacement of the main door by oak leaves with the repointing of stones and the restoration of the key of the bow, collapsed. In the 2000s, the municipality repaired the mechanism of the two belfry bells, lighting the building and maintenance work.

Sources : The Church

L'église Notre-Dame de Corme-Écluse, siège d'un ancien prieuré bénédictin de l'Abbaye aux Dames de Saintes, est donnée vers 1104 par Ramnulfus Focaudi (évêque de Saintes entre 1083 et 1106), à l'abbaye royale de Saint-Jean-d'Angély "pour qu'il en jouisse toujours et la possède à perpétuité". Cette abbaye est donc à l'origine de la reconstruction du sanctuaire dans le milieu du XIIe siècle en style roman. Sur une plaque apposée sur le mur sud de la nef on trouve, toujours lisibles, quelques bribes historiques :

1200, les bénédictins achèvent la construction et ornent l'église avec une statue en chêne de la sainte Vierge ; 1327, L'abbé de Saint-Jean-d'Angely et un envoyé du pape Jean XXII prient devant l'image vénérée ; 1628, un pèlerinage est établi pour vénérer la statue ; 1763, la statue est mutilée. Le profanateur est châtié.

Le plan de l'église est en croix latine légèrement asymétrique (le bras nord du transept est plus long que le bras sud). La nef se compose de deux travées couvertes par des voûtes en berceau brisées. Elle est éclairée par trois fenêtres symboliques refaites au XIIIe siècle. Un arc doubleau sépare la nef du transept, dont la croisée, sous le clocher, est couverte d’une coupole sur trompes. Le bras sud du transept s'ouvre sur une absidiole voûtée en cul-de-four. Par contre, le bras Nord, rebâti au XVIIe siècle dans le style roman, légèrement plus long que celui du sud, est conçu sur un plan rectangulaire sans absidiole. Ce bras possède un portail à colonnes et à rouleaux toriques. Après avoir passé l'arc triomphal, le chœur commence par une travée droite couverte d'un berceau en plein-cintre et se termine par un hémicycle voûté en cul-de-four.

L'église a subi peu de dommages durant la Guerre de Cent Ans et les Guerres de religion. Dès la fin du XVIIIe siècle, des travaux d'entretien sont entrepris essentiellement à l'intérieur de l'église. En 1822, la reconstruction de la charpente du clocher est lancée, puis en 1852, c'est la reprise de la façade ouest. Une nouvelle restauration a lieu vers 1860, la sacristie est agrandie par la construction d'une annexe demi-circulaire dans le prolongement de l'abside romane.

À partir de 1880, une campagne de réfection des couvertures est engagée, puis un nouveau beffroi est placé dans le clocher. De 1890 à 1900, le cimetière, qui entourait l'église, est déplacé au "Fief des Rentes" et l'ancien lieu de sépulture est ainsi transformé en place publique.

À partir de 1926, la couverture du chœur est remplacée et le clocher mis hors d'eau. En 1971, le programme des travaux comprend l'assainissement des murs extérieurs, la démolition de la fausse abside et de la sacristie qui masquait l'absidiole du croisillon sud.

En 1990, c'est le remplacement de la porte principale par des vantaux en chêne avec le rejointoiement des pierres et la remise en place de la clef de l'arc, affaissée. Dans les années 2000, la municipalité fait réparer le mécanisme des deux cloches de beffroi, réaliser la mise en lumière de l'édifice et des travaux d'entretien.

Sources : L’Eglise

Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Église Notre-Dame - Corme-Écluse, France 8/24/2015 pmaupin visited it