By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

"The Columns" - Civil War - Bolivar, TN
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 35° 15.275 W 088° 59.422
16S E 318927 N 3903091
Quick Description: Listed on the National Register, and now maintained by a local historical society.
Location: Tennessee, United States
Date Posted: 10/14/2017 1:50:58 AM
Waymark Code: WMWTX4
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Outspoken1
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of house: Hardeman County
Loction of house: W. McNeal St., 2nd house W. of Washington, Bolivar
Built: 1860
Original Owner: Thomas R. Smith
Current Owner: Bolivar Historical and Community Foundation

"4. Ingram House, "The Columns" (303 West McNeal Street): 1860, remodeled 1909, Greek Revival, 2 story brick with paired parapetted chimneys at both gables, paired lunar window in each gable, Colonial Revival portico with clustered Ionic columns (1909), center attic dormer (1909), brick ell (1909), back porch incorporates one story Ionic columns originally used at entrance." ~ NRHP Nomination Form


"The Columns, a Greek revival home built in 1860, was used as a makeshift hospital for wounded and sick soldiers during the Civil War. The Columns is beautifully restored and today the house reflects the life of the affluent banking and merchant Ingram family who bought it around 1900 and filled it with furnishings in the late-Victorian style. Downstairs are two parlors (one a sitting room and one a music room). The dining room and breakfast room feature family silver.

"The grounds surrounding The Columns include a Boxwood Garden (the oldest in West Tennessee), antique Rose Garden, Stable and a Children's Playhouse with nursery rhyme murals. The home and grounds are frequent wedding and photo sites. Owned and operated by the private Bolivar Historical and Community Foundation, established by The Columns' last resident, Elizabeth Ingram, before she died in 1995 just two months shy of her 102nd birthday." ~ Visit Historic Bolivar


"The house next became home to Dr. Archer Allen Coleman and his wife, Louisa Neely Coleman. Shortly after moving into the home, the town was occupied by the Union Army and this house was appropriated by the Union Army for use as a hospital. The Colemans lived in the house until 1868." ~ The Columns of Bolivar

Address:
303 W. McNeal St., Bolivar, TN 38008


Name of War: The Civil War

Type of Documentation: Web Page/Historical Documentation

Visit Instructions:
Take an original pic and write something interesting.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Field Hospitals
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.