Big Horn Academy - 567
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 44° 52.939 W 108° 28.122
12T E 699913 N 4972994
Quick Description: A school and gymnasium until 1983, the two buildings which constitute the Big Horn Academy remain in constant use by the town of Cowley and Big Horn County School District #1.
Location: Wyoming, United States
Date Posted: 10/14/2017 12:04:31 AM
Waymark Code: WMWTWX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member PeanutsParents
Views: 3

Long Description:
The plaque bearing the text below is mounted in front of the striking red and beige sandstone building which was originally the schoolhouse of the Big Horn Academy. Nearby is the second building of the Big Horn Academy.

The second building, not mentioned on the plaque, was a WPA project built by the men of the community for $10,000 in 1936 as a gymnasium for the school. Since its construction, however, the building has served the community as a community hall as well as a gymnasium and, like the school building, is now owned by the town of Cowley.

BIG HORN ACADEMY

In 1900 the prophet and president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Lorenzo Snow, sent settlers to northern Wyoming. Under the direction of Apostle Abraham Owen Woodruff, the settlers were to establish two communities, Byron and Cowley, and build the Sidon Canal, which would furnish water from the Shoshoni River to the surrounding communities.

In Stake Conference, September 11, 1908, Apostle David O. McKay announced that a church school would be built to accommodate church members in this section of Big Horn County. The south west corner of the church block in Cowley was the chosen site for the new two-story school. Ground breaking for the building occurred November 5, 1915.

This native-sandstone building, with its inscription stone over the south entrance, was a tribute to the ingenuity and strength of those early pioneers. The huge inscription stone, twelve feet long, four feet wide, and two feet thick, weighed about four tons and was cut in one solid piece. The inscription, cut by L. C. Jensen, reads: "Big Horn Academy 1916." All of the stones used for the building's construction had to be hauled from hills five miles north of Cowley, shaped at the site, and set in place without the benefit of power equipment.

The new academy opened its doors for students in September 1919. Approximately 85-95 students came from surrounding communities; many lived in Cowley during the school year. The building was new, modern, and equipped with a heating plant and ventilating system. The Academy existed for fifteen years from 1909-1924 and played a major role in this area.

The Academy was discontinued in 1924; the building was sold to the school district and used until 1983 as a high school. Since that time, it has been used as a pre-school and for private business. In 2011 it was extensively remodeled to become the administration building for Big Horn County School District Number One.

2012 No. 567 Sage Brush Camp

Photo goes Here

Marker Name: Big Horn Academy

Marker Number: 567

Marker Text:
See above


Visit Instructions:
To log a 'visit' for waymarks in this category tell of your visit, any insights, new things you learned, etc... and if possible post photos.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest D.U.P. Historic Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.