Three Holes Cross - Egloshayle, Cornwall
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 50° 31.735 W 004° 48.402
30U E 371949 N 5598999
Quick Description: A medieval wayside cross, known as the Three Holes Cross, situated at a junction of the same name on the A39 trunk road north east of Wadebridge in north Cornwall.
Location: South West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/8/2017 3:24:29 AM
Waymark Code: WMWRPK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Iris & Harry
Views: 0

Long Description:
"The Three Holes Cross, which is Listed Grade II, survives with a round granite `wheel' head on an upright granite shaft set in a massive modern granite base- slab, measuring 2m in overall height. The head, which measures 0.43m high by 0.44m wide and 0.13m thick, is decorated on each principal face by a central raised boss and four triangular sinkings, one to each side of the boss and one each above and below it; three of the triangular sinkings meet to perforate the head, giving the cross its name. The lowermost `hole' is not pierced right through, forming a deep recess on either side. The shaft measures 1.28m high and 0.28m wide, tapering in thickness from 0.25m at the base to 0.2m at the neck. The faces and edges of the shaft are slightly convex and the shaft has a slight `S-shaped' curve throughout its length. There are two small rounded projections on either side of the neck, just below the head. The shaft has a sloping fracture, 0.72m above the base, which was repaired by cementing the parts together in the later 19th century. The shaft bears slight traces of pecked decoration above the fracture, delimited by a faint transverse groove 0.25m below the head, on its south side. The modern sub-triangular base-slab measures 1.5m north-south by up to 2.18m east-west and is 0.39m thick.

The Three Hole Cross is situated on the north side of the A39T at the intersection of three routes. The course of the A39T follows the major medieval route through into Cornwall beside the north coast. At Three Hole Cross this route is crossed by two early local routes; one runs east through the nearby prehistoric and early medieval settlement at Castle Killibury from the medieval manor site at Burniere by the River Camel estuary; the other runs north west-south east towards Bodmin via the crossing point of the River Allen, 1.4km to the south east.

All earlier records confirm this cross's presence at this junction, though until 1937 it was located 20m to the ESE, on the opposite, south, side of the A39. After road alterations, it was re-erected in 1939 in its modern base-slab at its present location."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Type of cross: Celtic cross

Material used: Stone (granite, sandstone, marble, ...)

Characteristics of this cross:
Granite cross, just over 1.5 metres in height standing on an irregularly shaped later socket stone. The shaft is rectangular-on-plan, fairly roughly cut and has been broken into two pieces and reset. The wheelhead has been pierced through with 3 holes with a fourth hole only partly cut through. There is a raised circle in the centre and the wheelhead has 2 lobes at the junction with the shaft. SPORCE - http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101311042-three-hole-cross-egloshayle#.Wdn-DzCQzDc


Describe the location:
Small green on north side of A39, Egloshayle


Is this cross commemorative ?: No

Year of manufacture: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Post at least one photograph of this cross.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Christian Crosses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.