St Andrew - Fontmell Magna, Dorset
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 50° 57.124 W 002° 11.577
30U E 556688 N 5644805
Quick Description: Impressive church of St Andrew, Fontmell Magna.
Location: South West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 9/23/2017 3:00:07 PM
Waymark Code: WMWNTY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 0

Long Description:
"Set up high in the centre of the village, the majority of the present church of St Andrew was rebuilt in 1862/3 by Sir Richard Glyn, the Lord of the Manor, who owned most of the village and also provided it with what is now the Church of England Primary School.

The lower stages of the tower date from the early 15C and, re-set in the north wall of the north aisle, are four restored 15C windows. A third stage was added to the Tower in the re-build to house the Ring of 6 bells. Built of mainly greensand ashlar it has been described as one of the handsomest churches in the diocese and has a number of interesting architectural features. In particular, under the battlements surmounting the original South Porch, were a variety of bas-reliefs and ornaments and the word "O Man Kyn bare tho y myn", followed by 1530 in latin numerals.

Designed by G Evans of Wimborne, the church consists of a wide nave, chancel and sanctuary with two side aisles. The small St Martin's chapel was created at the east end of the North Aisle in 1957 and behind the 17C Communion Table the war memorial is carved in the wall. Of unusual interest is the 16C carved oak screen beneath the tower arch, highly decorated and with a scroll around the edge which reads "Water King and Esbell his wif."

The single hammer beam roof is cross-boarded. The Capitals of the gothic style arches in the nave and side aisles host a variety of finely carved angels and other figures. The floor is tiled, the sanctuary tiles being a fine example of Pugin's work. There are a number of good quality stained glass windows including the East, being by Clayton and Bell, and two from the 20th century.

The Tower houses a clock, made by William Monk in 1732 with Carillon (believed to be the work of John C Brine in 1750) which, every three hours, plays the hymn "Hanover" and a Ring of six bells, of which Nos 5 and 6 (Tenor) are mediaeval and Nos 3 and 4 of the 17C though No 3 (1641) was recast in 1912."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.